Rude Female customers...

Etbow23

I work at a store, and I've noticed that the worst of the worst customers I've had have been female.

I am female myself, so I'm not trying to be sexist..but I just can't help notice this.

Today a woman made me cry (well I waited til I went to the bathroom...) okay so maybe I wouldn't have gotten upset but I think that at work social anxiety/shyness plays a big part & it's really hard dealing w people...and when this lady got rude with me...I was very timid and she kept saying "what?? what do you want??" like I was an idiot because I was soft-spoken.

It wasn't my fault. She wanted a baby bag that didn't have a tag. So I was going to call someone to get the price, because it was over $20, so at my store in that case we need the DPCI number. Okay so she's like I'll get another bag, and the returns with a different bag that's a different price/different style. She's like it's fine I don't need to return it, just use that one and I'll take this one, but I said I just need to call to get the correct number for inventory purposes. She starts getting an attitude, and says she left her baby in the car and needs to go right away (uhm what an idiot..who leaves their baby in the car??).

So a girl (coworker) comes to get the number and she's bitching at me, "This is ridiculous" and just in general treating me poorly. I started feeling really bad. The girl brought the wrong bag and doesn't speak english that well so I couldn't explain that their were no more of the 24.99 bags (she brought a 39.99 bag) and she needs to get the DPCI number from the sign. and so I at that point just changed the price, I didn't want to deal with it anymore. But I don't like changing the price too much, it could be questionable if you do it a lot on your register.

THen the angry woman basically says thank you in her hard ass voice because she finally got her way and even had the audacity to say have a good holiday and I basically whispered thank you though really I wanted to tell her off, the fat b*tch.

Anyways, I wonder whether women purposefully do this to other girls just to be mean? I have kind female customers as well, but for all the cases that I've had extremely rude customers and /or been screamed/cursed at and had my intelligence insulted, it's been other women.

I think the fact that I'm shy makes me extra sensitive to these types of things. Other people seem to just be able to shake it off.

Anyways, I think I needed to rant.

Last edited:

this_portrait

I'm very sorry you had to deal with that harpy. I remember my first job was in customer service as well (though it was as a hotel desk receptionist). There were quite a few times when customers were rude and mean towards me for one reason or another, though I don't recall many of them being female. Most of them were male.

Women tend to be competitive with each other, at least biologically. Or so I've heard. That's usually the main reason I get when I wonder why women treat each other like sh*t. Then again, you could just have more rude female customers because you have more female customers in general because it's retail (I assume it is?) and more women than men shop. I could be wrong, though.

Anyway, if these ladies have a problem with you, just remember that THEY'RE the ones with the problems, not you. :)

DeadmanWalking

*hugs* Hey, I'm sorry about that. Really, I am. I wish I was there to tell her off for being such a b*tch.

I don't know the whole story between females, but, from what I've heard, females are in constant rivalry with each other. I suppose that it extends into daily things, like shopping. As much as people wish to differentiate, humans are animals and, as such, seek dominance. This is only a hypothesis, mind you, but I think she (aside from being a total a**hole) was trying to assert dominance over you, to get her way and to knock you down a few pegs as well. What you need to do is sharpen your wit and learn how to stand up for yourself. You were completely in the right, so stand there unbudgingly and defend yourself. I think the best option would have been to call for someone to assist you with dealing with her. She's the idiot who left her baby in the car; I'm pretty sure there were other bags just like that one with a tag on it.

So, etbow, can you promise me something? The next time something like this happens, fight it, no matter how much you want to quit and even if you cry while in the middle of it. It's time we taught you how to fight against people like this. Can you promise that?

P.S.: Ranting is a good way to get things off of your chest. Rant as much as you feel like on here and we'll help you solve any problems that come your way, okay?

Etbow23

*hugs* Hey, I'm sorry about that. Really, I am. I wish I was there to tell her off for being such a b*tch.

I don't know the whole story between females, but, from what I've heard, females are in constant rivalry with each other. I suppose that it extends into daily things, like shopping. As much as people wish to differentiate, humans are animals and, as such, seek dominance. This is only a hypothesis, mind you, but I think she (aside from being a total a**hole) was trying to assert dominance over you, to get her way and to knock you down a few pegs as well. What you need to do is sharpen your wit and learn how to stand up for yourself. You were completely in the right, so stand there unbudgingly and defend yourself. I think the best option would have been to call for someone to assist you with dealing with her. She's the idiot who left her baby in the car; I'm pretty sure there were other bags just like that one with a tag on it.

So, etbow, can you promise me something? The next time something like this happens, fight it, no matter how much you want to quit and even if you cry while in the middle of it. It's time we taught you how to fight against people like this. Can you promise that?

P.S.: Ranting is a good way to get things off of your chest. Rant as much as you feel like on here and we'll help you solve any problems that come your way, okay?

I'll try! But everytime I've gotten an attitude with someone back I feel embarrassed afterwards or am afraid they'll complain about me!

I guess I just wish I could more assertive to people...not lowering myself to their level of rudeness, but just more assertive/confident..

And you're right it's good to rant :)

I'll try! But everytime I've gotten an attitude with someone back I feel embarrassed afterwards or am afraid they'll complain about me!

I guess I just wish I could more assertive to people...not lowering myself to their level of rudeness, but just more assertive/confident..

Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to fight back against them and get an attitude back. That will get you nowhere, and probably complained about. So instead, just focus on the task at hand, and taking care of the problem.

You have to understand that people are just being rude, because they can. It's nothing personal, and people like that will most likely be rude to anyone that is helping them. Next time you encounter someone like that, just tune out the rudeness and focus on the issue that you're trying to take care of. Just be kind and prompt to find the solution and hopefully they will appreciate it. :)

DeadmanWalking

You really shouldn't care if they complain to you or not, especially in this situation. What's she going to do? Complain about how you're doing your job and she tried to get you to do something that would most likely get you fired? She doesn't have the guts to do it because she'd be setting herself up.

I'm happy that you'll try though:)! First, work on speaking your mind and not worrying about how right or wrong you are. When you speak, "believe that you're right, yet accept that you could be wrong". As you learn to speak your mind more, the anxiety about standing up for yourself should disappear. Learn how to stay calm, even when your opponent is not; once you lose control of yourself, the match is lost as well. If someone is in your face, respond with a smile, yet be willing to bare your fangs when you need to.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about::eek::! So, maybe try asking the people on here how to stand up for yourself; I'm sure they'll be able to give better advice than I am! Sorry that I can't help more!

razzle dazzle rose

I used to work in retail so I understand your pain. I have horror stories involving both women and men. From what I have seen, people just tend to be rude to cashiers. My first job was in fast food and it was terrible: I had no idea how much people complain! They get very impatient and want us to work like robots. But we are not robots; we are people too! Some people get carried away with the whole "the customer is always right" thing. The customer is never right! LOL...It really sucks to be treated rudely because we can't really retaliate. I know I have told you this before, but don't be afraid to call a manager or security for assistance. You don't have to put up with abusive customers.

Last edited:

razzle dazzle rose

You have to understand that people are just being rude, because they can. It's nothing personal, and people like that will most likely be rude to anyone that is helping them. Next time you encounter someone like that, just tune out the rudeness and focus on the issue that you're trying to take care of. Just be kind and prompt to find the solution and hopefully they will appreciate it. :)

That is very true. It is nothing personal. I used to get back at my rude customers by being extra nice and smiley. That would confuse them and make them look so bad for being so rude to me.

Last edited:
I used to work in retail so I understand your pain. I have horror stories involving both women and men. From what I have seen, people just tend to be rude to cashiers. My first job was in fast food and it was terrible: I had no idea how much people complain! They get very impatient and want us to work like robots. But we are not robots; we are people too! Some people get carried away with the whole "the customer is always right" saying. The customer is never right! LOL...It really sucks to be treated rudely because we can't really retaliate. I know I have told you this before, but don't be afraid to call a manager or security for assistance. You don't have to put up with abusive customers.

That's exactly what retail is like hahah! I used to work for officemax (its like office depot) about 10 years ago, and it really opened up my eyes to how everyday people are out in public. It really made me hate retail and i never worked in that area again. But i found that I just had to focus on the job and not let peoples personalities get to me, since i knew it wasn't personal.

Some people can put up with it, but others cannot.

this_portrait

i now realize the woman was probably trying to get a $40 dollar bag for $25. ehh!!

They always try to get stuff for cheaper, even if they have to "scam" their way into it. People would try to get rooms for cheaper at the hotel I worked at, even though the rooms were not that expensive anyway.

WeirdyMcGee

This is exactly why I couldn't handle working cash or customer service... people are rude and many of them have such a short fuse.
I don't care what their reasons are for being in a 'mood' or for having a little meltdown - you are there to ring things in and help them find things; not to take their abuse.

I've seen some women yell at cashiers just as often as I've seen men get up and spit in the faces of servers at restaurants and it literally makes me sick.
I won't stand for such treatment.
Just terrible. -__-

OceanMist

Some people go to places looking to complain. My grandpa did this all the time.

I'm not kidding. He actually had a passion for complaining at restaurants, for instance. His idea of a good time was trying to make an entire restaurant staff feel stupid.

My mom must have got his genes because she is the ultimate whiner. Good lord, you could spend 1 hour with this woman and want to never talk to her again. She waits for someone to make the tiniest mistake, then tears in to you like a tiger killing their prey.

Well, my family is ridiculous, lol. My point is that there are whiners out there everywhere. Avoid them when you can, and if you have to deal with them, try to listen and solve their problem in a calm manner. Remember that they are usually the crazy ones who are wrong, and you are not a screw up. They just want to make someone's day a pain in the.....

customer service..glad it's you not me..the abuse you have to take..I'm just not thick-skinned enough..I would take everything personally..but well done and hats off to you for hanging in there and doing a job that a lot of pople (esp. SA) sufferers couldn't do....!!!

Agent_Violet

i once threw a carton of eggs at a customer when i was 15 and had my first job.

it didn't hit her but when it hit the wall behind her, the eggs splattered wide enough to get all over her.

Needless to say, I was fired.

I don't regret. Women are b*tches sometimes.She deserved it.

coyote

the vast majority of the customers who come in my store are very nice

it helps that we're located in a resort area, so everyone is either on vacation or retired

so they're not in a big hurry and they're usually in a good mood

often they've already stopped at the vineyards for a wine tasting or two

our customers are usually people with quite a bit if money, so unfortunately, many of them are used to getting their own way

i find that the nicer and friendlier i am, the better they respond

but we rarely get someone who's really rude or treats anyone badly

thankfully, because i tend to let those encounters ruin my whole week

Last edited:

coyote

I was watching this show on court tv I think and they were doing a scientific experiment to see who was more naturally aggressive, men or women. And the conclusion they came to afterward was funny. They said that women are more likely than men to become aggressive if theres no threat of harm as a result. They had this setup with a man and a woman working a customer service position and had equipment hooked up to them to measure their vitals and stuff. Then they had a rude customer (an actor) call in to hassle them. The male test subject seemed a little irritated but just ended the call, the woman tried to insist that the rude customer see her point of view, and by the end of the call she was seething with rage. It was hilarious lol

yes, most of my staff is female - they seem to have a harder time dealing with rude female customers than i do

when i come up to the counter to see what's wrong, i'll smile and lower my voice and talk quietly to the customer, and suddenly i'm her best friend

and she ends up agreeing with the same thing my other employee was trying to get her to do

i get a lot of eyerolling and under-the-breath muttering from my staff for that :]