Relationship Question (Now with walls of text!)

Api

I tried to figure out how to explain this in detail, but it ended up being just too ridiculously long. Let's see if I can make it a little less detailed without missing too much...

I've had social anxiety for as long as I can remember, so during my early years I talked exclusively to people online. It didn't bother me as long as no one could see me. I met my best friend, T, like this when I was 12 and he was 14. At that time, he only liked boys, but eventually we both kind of realized we liked each other as more than friends.

Every time I tried to date anyone online, they would eventually stop talking to me. So...I got a major fear of abandonment to go with my other issues. In the end, I flat out refused to date T because I was absolutely terrified he'd leave me after a while too. He pretty much said he'd wait however long, and I pretty much told him I wasn't worth the effort.

A few years later, I ran away from home (another story) with a boyfriend who was willing to let me stay with him. T and I lost touch within a year for reasons beyond our control, and I ended up regretting never giving him the chance. We couldn't talk again for about five years after due to an abusive relationship I had gotten myself into. By now he had, reasonably, believed I wasn't ever coming back.

So... At that point, he was married to another girl, M. I was a little upset, but I tried to bury it since I had no real right to be. I figured he had lost his feelings for me years ago so I just talked to him as a friend for a while. Old stuff came up, and it ended up with us both admitting we were still in love. Obviously, he's not going to leave M over it (I knew without asking, it's just the way he is), so I just kind of dropped it again. M knew and came to the same conclusion I did, so wasn't worried about our continued friendship.

I talked to them both pretty actively for the next few months. They shared a computer, plus M knew a lot about me anyway because she lived at Ts house even before I ran away. (They didn't start dating til a few years after I disappeared) I ended up getting a bit of a crush on her but not mentioning it because I thought it was really weird. Plus I still resented her a little bit since she had gotten him while I was gone, and I think she kind of knew... Which, of course, made it more interesting when she told me she had kind of fallen for me too.

This resulted in them offering me a polygamous relationship. I thought about it for a while but turned them down. My fear of abandoned had turned into possessiveness, I was afraid to share a partner with anyone else like that. Added onto the fact I didn't want to hurt M which I worried I would with the resentment still there. I did keep talking to them both as friends though.

And skip forward almost a year, I had a lot of issues finding a place to live and eventually got myself knocked up by someone who was letting me stay with them rent-free. After I moved away from there, I briefly dated another boy (online), who I'd had a crush on for about a year, but he lost interest very quickly when he learned I was keeping my child. (Primarily relevant due to it giving me the fear of never being able to find a permanent partner)

When I told T that we had broken up, he offered the same relationship again, despite the fact he had just had his first biological child with M and my own pregnancy, and he knows why I'm afraid of the relationship.

I didn't really give an answer this time, but overall I feel very... jumbled up. I kind of just want input from someone who's not involved.

S_Spartan

I tried to figure out how to explain this in detail, but it ended up being just too ridiculously long. Let's see if I can make it a little less detailed without missing too much...

I've had social anxiety for as long as I can remember, so during my early years I talked exclusively to people online. It didn't bother me as long as no one could see me. I met my best friend, T, like this when I was 12 and he was 14. At that time, he only liked boys, but eventually we both kind of realized we liked each other as more than friends.

Every time I tried to date anyone online, they would eventually stop talking to me. So...I got a major fear of abandonment to go with my other issues. In the end, I flat out refused to date T because I was absolutely terrified he'd leave me after a while too. He pretty much said he'd wait however long, and I pretty much told him I wasn't worth the effort.

A few years later, I ran away from home (another story) with a boyfriend who was willing to let me stay with him. T and I lost touch within a year for reasons beyond our control, and I ended up regretting never giving him the chance. We couldn't talk again for about five years after due to an abusive relationship I had gotten myself into. By now he had, reasonably, believed I wasn't ever coming back.

So... At that point, he was married to another girl, M. I was a little upset, but I tried to bury it since I had no real right to be. I figured he had lost his feelings for me years ago so I just talked to him as a friend for a while. Old stuff came up, and it ended up with us both admitting we were still in love. Obviously, he's not going to leave M over it (I knew without asking, it's just the way he is), so I just kind of dropped it again. M knew and came to the same conclusion I did, so wasn't worried about our continued friendship.

I talked to them both pretty actively for the next few months. They shared a computer, plus M knew a lot about me anyway because she lived at Ts house even before I ran away. (They didn't start dating til a few years after I disappeared) I ended up getting a bit of a crush on her but not mentioning it because I thought it was really weird. Plus I still resented her a little bit since she had gotten him while I was gone, and I think she kind of knew... Which, of course, made it more interesting when she told me she had kind of fallen for me too.

This resulted in them offering me a polygamous relationship. I thought about it for a while but turned them down. My fear of abandoned had turned into possessiveness, I was afraid to share a partner with anyone else like that. Added onto the fact I didn't want to hurt M which I worried I would with the resentment still there. I did keep talking to them both as friends though.

And skip forward almost a year, I had a lot of issues finding a place to live and eventually got myself knocked up by someone who was letting me stay with them rent-free. After I moved away from there, I briefly dated another boy (online), who I'd had a crush on for about a year, but he lost interest very quickly when he learned I was keeping my child. (Primarily relevant due to it giving me the fear of never being able to find a permanent partner)

When I told T that we had broken up, he offered the same relationship again, despite the fact he had just had his first biological child with M and my own pregnancy, and he knows why I'm afraid of the relationship.

I didn't really give an answer this time, but overall I feel very... jumbled up. I kind of just want input from someone who's not involved.

Why not give it a try? Sounds kind of interesting. I'm sure there would be the occasional tension but maybe you all could help each other with the kids!

I can foresee good and bad outcomes with your certain situation. You like them and they like you and are seemingly willing to accept you and your unborn child and it sounds like they want to help you. I applaud your decision for keeping your baby btw. On the down side I can imagine jealousy and hurt feelings down the road. I don't want to influence your decision but just wanted to toss out some points to think about. I hope things work out good for you and your child. Aside from all that, there are plenty of guys who date girls with kids. Before I was married, I went out with several girls who had children. I believe if a guy likes a girl enough he can deal with her having a child.

Last edited:

Api

I do like them, but I'm really nervous about the whole thing. The addition of kids makes it scarier, because I went through my parents divorce at a pretty young age and it wasn't pretty. I don't want to traumatize two little girls just because I have issues later down the line.

Part of the reason I'm worried about being stuck alone forever though is because I don't have a lot of independence. Generally, the people who want to be with me do so because they want to protect me in a weird way, but dealing with both my problems and a baby is too much for most people I've been with.

As it is, nothing is going to happen with them for at least a few months. All my prenatal stuff is set up here and I'd have to move states to be with them. Moving in itself isn't a big deal for me, but I can't deal with finding new doctors right now. I just want to try and figure this all out in advance so when it is an option, I'm actually confident in what I want to do.