Reclusive Life

Surreal

hey ppl, 20 female here, I've suffered from severe shyness my entire life and it wasn't until I was 12 that the panic attacks got so bad i was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. Ever since then I've lived as a recluse, no friends, couldn't go to high school (home schooled instead) absolutely no contacts what so ever besides my immediate family. it's been 8 years now and although my social phobia is not as bad as it was when i was young it's still very severe. It's my agoraphobia now that I have to deal with most. Has anyone else developed agoraphobia or other anxiety/panic disorders from social phobia? Anyways I'd be interested in making some contacts in the adelaide area or anywhere around australia. Please tell me there are people out there who have social anxiety disorder or any anxiety disorders as severe as I do! :(

blubs

hi surreal

mines pretty bad
and it does cause agoraphobia sometimes...some times its worse than others

I hope you find this site supportive

I know I have
x

mysticamor

Hi, I can relate. I'm 18 and I did some homeschooling. I have now been reclusive the past three years. I fear that my social phobia is becoming severe and I am starting to become agrophobic. I don't live in Adelaide (I'm in Brisbane) but feel free to add me on to MSN or send me a PM. I hope things start to become better for you.

Hellraising

Are you housebound? No. Then it's not as severe as mine. But I've never had a panic/anxiety attack before though.

And I love your avy. The make up's lovely.

lonesomeboy

ye i live in melbourne. iam not housebound or anything, but going out is anxious for me. also, going to social gatherings is a real killer.
thats where i get really nervous

Atari

I'm in a pretty F'd up situation myself, not agorophobic, but the S.A is holding me back from having a functional life. That and being screwed over by benzo's. If you want to chat you can add me on msn [email protected]

Richey

Im 21 live in Melbourne but i am tied down with work priorities at the moment and end of year studies etc.
If I so happen to pass Adelaide way anytime then we could get a drink and have a chat. Hang in there. I find exercising and keeping busy definately helps.
I also recommend music. Whatever your into can be a great distraction from the problems of the world.

hippiejane

hi Surreal
Im 22 and sound pretty much exactly like you. Only thing is that I probably started a little later, like 16 I think. I finshed high school but then went no where from there.
Its soo difficult, I have been having therapy for just over a year now, things have improved but not that much.
I don't go out unless its with my parents and only to places I am really really familiar with. Anything new makes me back away at a hundred miles and hour which then leads to guilt and depression.
I find I get guilt from everything....its driving me crazy.
I am learning to just do new things, but of course I am stuck on the tiniest little new things which take all my energy, if and when I just go for it, I usually end up totally exhausted and sick :cry:

Harry Potter is what has kept me going, there is something in the story that gives me the power to keep going.

LittleMissScareAll

I'm 22, and I'm basically a recluse too. I always refer to myself as a "loner"... the only people I ever really see or talk to are my parents. And a few online/long distance friends who call me occasionally.
I was homeschooled from 9th-12th grade. I couldn't take it anymore...people were too cruel to me. I work but I never talk to anyone there unless I have to.

Septor

I have been a recluse for 6 years. I was house bound for 3 years I would sneak out once a month to go to the store at 4 in the morning to get food for the month.I have both agoraphobia and panic disorders although i have been working on the panic attack and have ad some success.

Waybuloo

Hey, I'm 20 female too, turning 21 soon. i've been social phobic since abt 17 - before that i thought i was shy and depressed. I don't have panic attacks but i do feel severe sensations and anxiety.

Can i ask what is agoraphobia exactly? is that a fear of more things than just social?

With me, i think a big part of my problem is somethin called body dysmorphic disorder, where i cannot help being obsessed with what people think of a specific part of my appearance. If only i can get that taken care of i think social phobia can be tackled too.

Good luck with trying to find contacts, my family told me the more you retreat and stay away from the world the worst it gets and harder the change. Good on you for making a good start towards the right direction.

Monkeymagic

I feel your pain. Mine's not as severe. I go out occasionally but from someone who gets out there on the odd occasion- let me tell you- you're not missing much :) Mostly a bunch of arseholes out there anyway :wink: I get outside to do stuff on my own which is easier- solo sports like surfing are good cause no one bothers me. Or going to a quiet book store.