Questions for nervous drivers

Krista

So, my problem is that I can't drive. I can but I don't like to, I'm not a bad driver but it scares the bejeezes out of me. For so long I've just rode with other people, instead of being one of the many in high school driving I was still 18 and riding the bus. I of course can't do this all my life, college schedule is crazy and it's not fair for me to ask others to tote me around all the time. I talked with my boyfriend, who seems to think we go together like PB&J because I hate driving and he loves it, about maybe helping with it so of course as soon as we can start he wants to.

But I don't drive for a reason. I'm deathly afraid of it. I'm constantly worrying I'm going to cause an accident of some sort, I'll hit someone(a child::(:), that I'll make others angry by going fifty-five in a sixty-five zone or even if I do pass..what if I forget what to do and hurt or cause a fatality? Was it ever this hard for some of you?

Last edited:
I have been driving for years and years and i am still constantly worried about causing or being in a accident. I just concentrate so much when i am driving that i almost give myself a headache. I know i avoid driving anywhere that is unnecessary and only take the least busy roads.

iamthenra

I never used to fear driving, but now after being in a couple accidents... I catch myself grinding my teeth and white knuckling the steering wheel all the time now... Subconsciously I am not very comfortable driving any longer... I drive all the time, and I like driving when there isn't anyone on the road except me, but those accidents have made me a mess behind the wheel... I should mention that both accidents were ruled 100% not my fault at all... One of the two accidents totaled my mom's car, as I was just getting gas in her car and I was about 3 blocks from home and some stupid idiot pulls out right in front of me when I was doing the speed limit of 50mph and about 20 feet in front of me this person pulls out..... BAM! air bags deployed on both the drivers side and passengers side out of my mom's saturn... Allot of talc or some kind of powder that filled the entire car when the airbags deployed, which saved me from kissing the steering wheel for sure!

Lorraine Manca

yes! it was EXTREMELY hard for me. i thought i'd never get over it. i had a really intense fear that id get in an accident and kill someone. it was such a strong fear, i felt like i had a true blue premonition that i was destined to make a mistake on the road and have someone die from it.
i forced myself to do long drives out in the rural areas of my state. there was no one to kill, so i didnt feel nervous at all when there literally was no one on the road. now i dont get anxious at all, except i cant drive with a passenger, thats more sa though than fear of driving/killing somebody. you can do it! it is possible, even though its really hard.

on second thought, there are some roads i wont go on, but they truely are dangerous

Last edited:

Krista

Aw, thank you guys very much. It's always nice to hear how someone got over it or what makes them feel better. I suppose I'll just have to grow a pair of big balls and do it.

nephatitus

though you are experiencing a high level of anxiety when driving a car, it can in fact be good in a sense since driving in and of itself is a high risk activity and should not be taken so lightly. And it's just common sense to drive defensively. Going below the max speed limit and being highly aware of what is happening on the road is great at first but i found that the more i drove, the more confident i became was able to drive at the same speed as everyone else although my alertness hasn't faltered.

I am 17 and really scared of that..not only to cause accidents and stuff but that I won;t be able to drive.. cuz I have orientation problems.. really weird :/

A_Void_Ant

I fear driving for people looking at me, but not for the fear of accidents. I drive very safe, although someone else could be at fault. But anyways, I can't stand people who look inside my car. I just keep my head forwards the whole time. Red lights in lots of traffic are the worst. Some of the worst anxiety I ever get happens at red lights with all the cars around.