Question

Sea Bass

Has anyone else found it impossible to sit down and enjoy a movie or watch a television show from beginning to end? I have not been able to do this for quite some time. I just pace around a lot and think about stuff. Has anyone else gone through this or is currently going through this? I feel so weird. It's also pretty hard for me to sit down and read a book.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by thinking about stuff, but an inability to concentration is a common symptom of depression, which frequently goes hand in hand with social phobia and anxiety.

Lea

Banned
I never enjoyed much watching TV or movies. Why?? You tell me... My cousins watched a lot and seemed to like it, but I was only bored and at least had to do something creative at the same time, like knitting etc. Well it's not always boring, some films are pretty good or funny and can be riveting, but generally I don't have the patience to watch films. What use is to watch others being happy & having a life that I never will have.. Probably I have problems with it because I am depressed most of the time. I have always liked books however, much more than TV. I can't say why, but that's how it was and is until now..

Tyrannus

Yes, it sometimes happens to me too. Especially if I've had a social confrontation that day, or right after I've answered a phone call. Everything I said is replayed over and over in my head, and when I try to sit down and relax with a movie or play a video game, I find it impossible to concentrate. I might as well go out for a walk.

Last edited:

Minty

No. It's usually the opposite. If I'm doing something and I like it, I'll get tunnel vision and be pretty focused on that one thing specifically. I don't think that's SA related. More like ADD related.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
It happens to me when I'm in a period of depression. I can't watch movies or read, I have no focus. Maybe it wouldn't work for anyone, but for me, physical activities is a good solution against this. If done intensively enough, it anihilates my depression and makes it easier for me to focus. Unfortunately, we live in a society who forces most of us to sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day, so it works better when unemployed.

Lea

Banned
Physical excercise is definitely good, I ride bike a lot, about an hour daily, but it doesn't help with depression, because it doesn't solve my problems and faulty brain.