Problems with social interactions.

Quietguy11

I think my mind avoids social interactions just as much as I avoid them physically. It's like I'm afraid to be talked to, because I will freeze up and not know how to reply accordingly. I will feel slow or something, and it will make me very self-conscious. I wish I had a better way of explaining it. There's like an invisible wall that barricades my mind, making it impossible for fluent exchange of communication. It has been the underlying reason why I have been such a loner my whole life. I remember girls taking interest in me in high school, but because I was never able to communicate my thoughts and feelings openly, they figured I was just uninterested or self-absorbed.

Tonight went well at first, as it usually does, but then I started feeling boxed in my head. I couldn't get my voice out (mostly throughout the night) because I couldn't think of anything relevant to say, and no one was bothering to chat with me. Am I unapproachable? Do people feel the need to be more respectful of my space? I don't know why, but no one talks to me, and I find it hard to talk to them!

I have learned to deal with this, and kind of laugh at it. But sometimes it gets overwhelming, like it did tonight, because I want to be apart of each night out. Clearly this is a psychological disability. It shouldn't be this hard to just think of what to say, and say it, but for me it's the hardest thing to do in the world.

TailsAlone

I'm the same way you are, QG. When people are talking to me, especially about something important, I just freeze up like an animal that senses danger. My mind goes blank. I'm too nervous to process what they're saying, much less think of an appropriate response. I just want to get the discussion over with as soon as possible.

EternalIce

Same here. This problem can easily be 'corrected' with the consumption of alcohol, but then instead of saying nothing, I end up saying lots of things, which end up meaning nothing anyways, so it pretty much equates to the same thing.

Quietguy11

I'm the same way you are, QG. When people are talking to me, especially about something important, I just freeze up like an animal that senses danger. My mind goes blank. I'm too nervous to process what they're saying, much less think of an appropriate response. I just want to get the discussion over with as soon as possible.

Wow someone who is exactly like me. I wish I had more people around me who I could relate my problems with. I also seem to be timid when I go to speak. Like my voice is shaky, and I find it hard to project it at the people I am talking with. I can so relate with the mind blanking out though and not processing what's being said because of nervousness. I know this doesn't amount to much, but I am truly sorry that you are also going through this awful psychological problem. I hope that someday the two of us will conquer it, and be able to speak out minds with confidence.

Same here. This problem can easily be 'corrected' with the consumption of alcohol, but then instead of saying nothing, I end up saying lots of things, which end up meaning nothing anyways, so it pretty much equates to the same thing.

I use to drink because it made me very social. But drinking all the time can't be good for your health. I would much rather be talkative and outgoing though than shy and introverted, which is why I drank anyway. Now I am learning to accept myself for who I am, and to do the best I can with the brain that I have.

EternalIce

I use to drink because it made me very social. But drinking all the time can't be good for your health. I would much rather be talkative and outgoing though than shy and introverted, which is why I drank anyway. Now I am learning to accept myself for who I am, and to do the best I can with the brain that I have.

I agree, you've got to accept yourself...

deadair

It boggles me whenever I hear ppl having nonstop, free-flowing conversations, bec. I really can't understand where do they get all those words? I avoid, mainly bec. I'm conversationally-challenged. I'm so nervous at meeting ppl face to face, even on phone, that my mind goes blank, and I am so scared that I won't understand what's being said to me, that ppl will find me stupid, much more think of something to reply to them. I constantly observe how ppl talk (also on TV), and I just couldn't understand how they react fast, or the kind of words they say....coz most of the time I really don't understand it at all. I don't know what is this kind of problem. I'm thinking maybe bec. of being a recluse for such a long time, I have no conversational practice (except for my parents). My mind is getting unsharper and unsharper. The more it makes me want to be a recluse forever.