Post Your Computer Problems

I thought I'd make a thread for people to post their computer problems, and anyone who has an idea of how to fix it or has experience with these things can jump on and reply to the person with help :)

I'll post mine below.

Last edited:
Re: Computer Problems

So... I have an old Mac that I'm getting rid of. I have an external hard drive with all of my Mac files on it. I'll be switching them to a PC when I buy one, but the files don't show up on my sister's PC when I plug the drive in. I guess I have to reformat the files.

I've read that MacDrive is the go-to program for this, but it's $50. There's a free one you can use that is read-only - HFSexplorer; you can't write to your external drive. I wonder if I can use the free program and extract the files onto my sister's computer, then erase and reformat the external drive for PC use (FAT 23 format? whatever that means, hah), then put my files back onto the drive and transfer it to my new computer when I get it? Does anyone know if this will work? Many thanks to anyone who can answer this! :)

Well, never mind that. I extracted the files from my external hard drive onto my sister's PC, and they're unreadable. Now I have no idea what to do. As it stands now, I can't access my documents, music, and photos from my Mac without turning the laptop on, which is a bad idea with the frayed power cord. I mean I can do it, but it's a bit dangerous, I think.

That also means that when I get my new PC, I won't be able to put those files on it, unless I pay the $50 for the program which will take care of it for me (and I hope to goodness it would actually work).

:sad:

GraybeardGhost

Could the power cord be repaired with a bit of electrical tape on the frayed parts? How did that happen, anyway?

Also, at the risk of stirring up a fuss, I have to ask: why on earth would you want to switch from a Mac to a PC? You're going the wrong way! :eek:mg:

Could the power cord be repaired with a bit of electrical tape on the frayed parts? How did that happen, anyway?

Also, at the risk of stirring up a fuss, I have to ask: why on earth would you want to switch from a Mac to a PC? You're going the wrong way! :eek:mg:

I read that electrical tape isn't safe enough. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I like Macs, but there are many things I find frustrating with them. One of those things is that they don't seem to pick up wifi signals as well as PCs. Time and again I've gotten a weak or nonexistent signal, when PC laptop users in the room got a strong signal. I also hate that you have to buy everything almost exclusively from Apple, and how pricey they are. And never mind the fact that many things aren't compatible with the Mac OS, or aren't the same version as for Windows.

The main factor, though, is that I can't afford it. I got my Macbook in 2009 as a graduation gift of sorts from my high school. It was $999 at the time, and it was lovely and I was thrilled to have such a nice-looking, great-working (at least it seemed so), expensive laptop for free. But I can't put down $1k+ for a computer right now, and the "cheapest" Mac right now is like $1200 or something.

PCs scare me because of all the malware they are prone to. And Windows 8 sounds miserable, but I haven't tried it myself yet. But PCs are the most affordable, and you can get some decent basic ones for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I read that electrical tape isn't safe enough. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I like Macs, but there are many things I find frustrating with them. One of those things is that they don't seem to pick up wifi signals as well as PCs. Time and again I've gotten a weak or nonexistent signal, when PC laptop users in the room got a strong signal. I also hate that you have to buy everything almost exclusively from Apple, and how pricey they are. And never mind the fact that many things aren't compatible with the Mac OS, or aren't the same version as for Windows.

The main factor, though, is that I can't afford it. I got my Macbook in 2009 as a graduation gift of sorts from my high school. It was $999 at the time, and it was lovely and I was thrilled to have such a nice-looking, great-working (at least it seemed so), expensive laptop for free. But I can't put down $1k+ for a computer right now, and the "cheapest" Mac right now is like $1200 or something.

PCs scare me because of all the malware they are prone to. And Windows 8 sounds miserable, but I haven't tried it myself yet. But PCs are the most affordable, and you can get some decent basic ones for reasonable prices.

If you're going for a PC, try to get one that's still running Windows 7. Windows 8 is great, don't get me wrong, but only if you have either a touchscreen monitor or a Windows tablet device. On regular desktops the touch orientated interfaces are a step backwards in efficiency.

Last edited:
Oh, and I don't suppose anyone here has much experience with playing Bluray movies on the computer?

I have a problem with choppy playback (in fast/action scenes only) that I can't for the life of me figure out. Graphic- and processing power isn't the issue, as I have those in abundance, so my personal deductions are that either the Bluray reader or the software I use to play it is to blame.

The disc I used worked fine on on the PS3 - but is also the first in four other discs that's acting out, so I'm not sure. Information on this subject seem to be scarce - I figured I'd ask since we have this shinny new thread for it.

Kiwong

Little cockroaches get inside my computer, and I hear them electrocuting themselves. The little rotters are not getting into my new vacuum cleaner and destroying it!

Rawz

I have a problem with choppy playback (in fast/action scenes only) that I can't for the life of me figure out. Graphic- and processing power isn't the issue, as I have those in abundance, so my personal deductions are that either the Bluray reader or the software I use to play it is to blame.

If you haven't already tried, and depending on how new the movie/release is, try ripping it with MakeMKV and then playing it with different programs.

Well, never mind that. I extracted the files from my external hard drive onto my sister's PC, and they're unreadable. Now I have no idea what to do. As it stands now, I can't access my documents, music, and photos from my Mac without turning the laptop on, which is a bad idea with the frayed power cord. I mean I can do it, but it's a bit dangerous, I think.

That also means that when I get my new PC, I won't be able to put those files on it, unless I pay the $50 for the program which will take care of it for me (and I hope to goodness it would actually work).

:sad:

Just unplug the power cord from wall receptacle and computer and cut away the tore up section and strip the rubber insulation about 3/4" of exposed copper wire and twist the wires together tight like and wrap tightly with GOOD electrical tape. I like 3M brand myself and have used it on stuff from 110 volts to 480 volts (quick fix only with that high of voltage) with no ill results. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...MQeHatQuBguQoUN91WG5_RA&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cWc

Above is a link to give you a "quick and dirty" of wire splicing. If you run into problems P.M. me.

Last edited:

AGR

Anyone have some tips for someone buying a computer?

Mine is very old and I want to maybe replace it,I dont need a superfast one,its mostly to browse the internet,I dont play many games,only the age of empires series and want to play starcraft 2,so what are some tips?

Is it easy to change the language,for example from Japanese to Portuguese?Can anyone do it?

Thanks