Poor posture

slimjim119

I always have to remind myself to stand up straight. I tend to slouch, especially when I am tired. Part of it might be due to anxiety because I keep my head down too much.

Though I was diagnosed with a slight curviture of the spine(scoliosis). So it does make it an extra effort not to slouch. Sitting too long in one place can cause discomfort. I don't mind if people I know remind me to stand up straight. In a few rare times, someone I didn't know would say something and I realized how some people might interpret my body language. So I always try to keep that ingrained in my head to stand up straight.

hbanana11

Yeah same..I slouch a lot. But I tend to look at the ground when I walk so I naturally sort of hunch over. Plus, I have no virtually ab strength and I feel like im sticking my chest out too much if I have my shoulders back :lol:

MizzSoSo

I was less aware of my own slouching until it became a permanenet part of my body (ok this was years ago). I'm not perfect but Yoga is the answer here. Anyone who has 'nothing to do' can try this and will only get better both in body and mind. I'm intermediate where they do back-bends to help the upper body push out as it should rather than slouch.

Sma

Banned
Does yoga help in everyday life tho too? Because sure, you can do it during a session and sit right then, but as soon as it's over don't you go back to your original position?

I have this problem too, I even have one of those back straghtening things you can wear but rarely wear it as I live in a warm place and it would be very obvious I was wearing it. Also I don't necessarily have a problem with keeping my back straight, I mean, ofc I rarely sit up straight, but I guess i could change that if I wanted to.. however if I do that, my head/neck looks even more obviously bent in a way, because of my posture/too much time on a computer I guess. It's like if I slouch it's more of a curve, my whole body.

I`m not sure what to try about that. If I try to move my neck/head backwards and hold it like that it hurts and it's hard to breathe. I've tried sleeping without a pillow but I keep ending up sleeping on a side so that my neck can get into that position where it's not straight.
Everyone says I should sit up straight, but they don't realise that I may not be able to..they say try harder but I don't know how. Wish there was something to loosen up my bones so that my neck would be able to go back. I really hate my posture and it affects my confidence about myself a lot. Life would be so much better if my posture looked normal and I didn't feel I looked weird.

Anyone have this, or had it and fixed it somehow? Any tips? Can anyone point me somewhere I could get help?

p.s. I have scholiosis too.

from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232237,00.html

Study: Slouching Better for Back Than Sitting Up Straight

Your mother probably told you, as her mother told her: sit up straight. Whether at table, in class or at work we have always been told that sitting stiff-backed and upright is good for our bones, our posture, our digestion, our alertness and our general air of looking as if we are plugged into the world.

Now research suggests that we would be far better off slouching and slumping. Today’s advice is to let go and recline. Using a new form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), a team of radiologists have found that sitting up straight puts unneccesary strain on the spine and could cause chronic back pain because of trapped nerves or slipped discs.

The ideal angle for office workers who sit for long periods is about 135 degrees. It might make working at a computer impractical but it will put less pressure on the spine than a hunched or upright position, the researchers say.

The study at Woodend Hospital in Aberdeen involved 22 healthy volunteers who had no history of back pain or surgery. They adjusted their posture while being scanned by a movable MRI machine, assuming three sitting positions: a slouch, with the body hunched forward over a desk or video game console; an upright 90-degree sitting position; and a relaxed position where the patient reclined at 135 degrees but kept their feet on the floor.

By measuring the spinal angles and the arrangement and height of spinal discs and movement across the positions, the radiologists found that the relaxed posture best preserved the spine’s natural shape.

Waseem Amir Bashir, from Edinburgh, lead author of the study, said: “When pressure is put on the spine it becomes squashed and misaligned. A 135-degree body-thigh sitting posture was demonstrated to be the best biomechanical sitting position, as opposed to a 90-degree posture, which most people consider normal.

“Sitting in a sound anatomic position is essential, since the strain put on the spine and its associated muscles and ligaments over time can lead to pain, deformity and chronic illness.” Dr Bashir, who now works at the University of Alberta Hospital in Canada, presented the research yesterday at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) in Chicago.

The study was the first of its kind because MRI scan- ning has previously required patients to lie flat.

Back pain is the cause of one in six days off work and about 80 per cent of Britons are expected to suffer from it at some point. Office workers and school children may stave off future back problems by correcting their sitting posture and finding a chair that allows them to recline, Dr Bashir said.

He added: “We were not created to sit down for long hours, but somehow modern life requires the vast majority of the global population to work in a seated position, The best position for our backs is arguably lying down, but this is hardly practical.”

However, Gordon Waddell, an orthopaedic surgeon at the Glasgow Nuffield Hospital, said that the link between biomechanics as shown in MRI scans and preventing back pain was still very theoretical.

It was “human nature” to develop back pain, he said. “Like a headache or a cold, it seems we all get back pain and most of the evidence suggests that sitting position does not make a difference.”

Sick Leave

— Non-specific back pain accounts for about 5 million lost working days per year, one in six of the reported total, costing the economy at least £5.7 billion

— In 2004-05, 452,000 people reported suffering back pain caused by, or made worse by, work

— About a sixth of the total were new cases

— Back-pain sufferers took an average of 19 days off per person last year and 11 per cent of the 2.8 million claimants of incapacity benefit said they had a musculoskeletal disorder

— 40 per cent of adults have suffered from back pain lasting for more than a day in the previous 12 months Source: Health and Safety Executive, ONS

Sma

Banned
Yes, but it looks bad. Stands out. Everyone else looks normal because they sit up straight. I just look weird..

JonnyD

me too, slouch i didn't knew it had a name.

toothpastekisses said:
Same here, I've got kinda bad posture most of the time. When I'm anxious I don't know how to sit and stuff so I usually just slouch

when i'm really anxious i tend to feel this way, but it's more likelly i'm in a very good posture, because i try to remain VERY still, because of the muscle tension

Lexmark

I did a little till i did weights
lat pull, and seated row with the handles fix it up quick

proudmummy

Yeah I slouch.... have for ages.... since I was like 13.... its awful cos now my back is kinda hunchback EVEN when I stand up.

coriander1992

I also slouch a lot, and due to the fact that i'm also carrying heavy bags around on one shoulder a lot, it really hurts my back.

I've just ordered a back and shoulder support brace that'll hopefully help me sit up straight...maybe that's an idea for some of you?

JonnyD

has somebody noticed that you walk with your shoulders "relaxed", i meanlike your very tired?

I used to slouch soo much it wasn't even funny! My brother said I looked like a hunch back. I also had back pains. So one day I decided to start standing up straighter. It took a lot of effort to remember at first but now, like half a year later it just comes naturally to me to stand up straight. Also my back never hurts anymore!

bleach

Banned
A good piece of advice I have read is to always keep your mouth shut and breathe through your nose. The air passages for nose breathing are more open when you have a standing straight posture, and slouching posture is better for breathing through your mouth.