Please help, can't take the attacks any longer!

freddyDK

Hello people.

You gotta help me. My social phobia has been very critical these days. I have had social phobia since I (I am 22 now) can remember, but as I said before I can't control it very well right now. I have panic attacks almost all day long now (Nervousness, Shortness of breath, Nausea...).

I am having these attacks because my dad has some family visiting him (at his place). I haven't seen the family for 12 years and every time I'm not at my dad's place I feel so shitty - and it's all day long... Probably because I'm nervous seeing them again.. It's very weird because when I am at my dad's place I feel more relaxed. It's the "waiting" time where I'm at home that's hell for me.

What should I do? I know I can't get completely rid of it but I want to cool it down!! My family will leave a few days after new year.. You gotta help, I have had social anxiety for so long but this right now is way too awful :(

Try deep muscle relaxation. I know that when I was staying in places I felt really anxious, I got more and more tense and would be completely unable to relax or calm myself down. I have a tape that I put on and listen to for half an hour, it involves tensing and relaxing various muscles in your body, which ends up relaxing your body and eventually your mind. But it does take a few days to have it's full effect because you get so tense it's hard for your body and mind to relax.
But I found it really really effective!
Here's a link that describes it pretty much exactly as I do it, though mine is on a tape so it's easier to relax, maybe you could record it on and try it?

http://stress.about.com/od/generaltechniques/ht/howtopmr.htm

Fairylicious

wow, i thought i was the only one who dreaed having to see "family" over the holidays!

In fact, in my current non-social situation, on top of my money situation, i pretty much skipped the holidays this year. I hate having to see family and them telling you all the shit that is wrong with you. But that's just my family. I have a really shitty familly. I've never really been accepted by them and am under constant scruitny.

But in your situation, i know that things that have helped me in times of overwhelming attacks, is taking as much time as you need out of the "spotlight." sure, say hi when they get there, but nothing says you have to be in their presence the entire time that they are there.

Also, do things that you find relaxing. These can be very good distractions from your anxiety and may keep you just a little level headed in the face of people. Do you play video games? Is there someone you could play with? Vidieo games a great for fake social interaction. In reality you are intereacting with the TV or computer screen. But it seems like a Co-Operative activity... which makes you look normal.

Try to excuse yourself to do errands (if you are a leave the house kinda guy). excusing yourself from the epicenter of your anxiety, even if it is just to go down the street, will alow you to breathe and re-catch your bearings on a situation.

i hope that this helps.

Good luck!

freddyDK

@kayelle
I will try it later. Can't do it right now, I'm too stressed :p

@Fairylicious
Yeah, I play some video games sometimes, but mostly when I'm with a friend. Unfortunately I'm alone alot and I have winterbreak for soccer practice, so it's hard these days..

Anyway, my family will leave in two days. I'm sad about this because I of course like them, but on the other hand it will be a big relief for me. I am looking forward to see how I will feel next week. Will my many panic attacks disappear again and so on.. Before my family came to visit I also had this social phobea but the strong panic attacks only came if I had to do something special out of my home...