Playing online games with the forum

Ithior

If you want to join the steam group, PM me your steam name.
The credit of the group name goes to BlackPuma.

I suggest we create a group of people who play games together for a few hours a week. It should be focused on having fun and not on playing competitively. It would also be good for those like me who aren't comfortable talking to other people online via voice chat.

What kind of games?
I would prefer if we played cheap games like the ones that can be found on Steam. I say this because a lot of people have games like Call of Duty but those of us who don't aren't always willing to pay 40€ just to play a game every now and then. Obviously if other people want to play games like that together, they're free to do so.
As for the platform, I prefer PC because that's the only one I have. If you want to use others, you can do so as well.

When?
This is the tricky part for me, since my schedules were always troublesome in previous online games. I believe it would be easier if you could post the hours at which you can play in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, equivalent to GMT).

Well, these are only suggestions. We can discuss this in more detail and I'll change this post accordingly. We can start choosing which games to play as well, by naming which games we have or which games we would like to play with each other.

Posting guidelines:
- games you would like to play
- days you're available to play
- at which hours you can play (preferably UTC, or at least say your timezone)
- how many hours you can play
I also think it's better if you don't post your steam/psn/whatever ID here. It would be better if you shared it through PMs after deciding on who to play, when, and all the other things.

Last edited:

squidgee

If Steam's going to be the main platform, you might create a steam group dedicated to members from the site. It'd make it easier to see who's online and available.

As for games; Left 4 Dead 1/2 often goes on sale and isn't too expensive right now. It was also given out for free not too long ago. TF2 is free to play as well. So those ones are pretty accessible in my opinion.

Ithior

I have TF2 and L4D2, but I can't say I'm good at either of them.

If Steam's going to be the main platform, you might create a steam group dedicated to members from the site. It'd make it easier to see who's online and available.

I guess I can create one. Are there secret groups on steam? Otherwise I'll just make a name unrelated to SPW.

Last edited:

Ithior

Oh, what a neat idea! Let us know when that group is up and running, and I'll surely join.

Sure. I'll edit the OP to write that you should post in this thread if you want an invite, so we can control who joins and who knows about the group. There don't seem to be a lot of people interested in this so it shouldn't be hard to manage.

Now I just need to come up with a name.

Ithior

Oh, what a neat idea! Let us know when that group is up and running, and I'll surely join.

Ok, it's done. Missing a lot of things like a group image. Can't make the forum only visible to members, I get an error.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'd probably join, but I have a satellite internet connection. In my experience, that makes multiplayer gaming untenable.

:sad:

O'Killian

Yeah, sadly the speed of light limits satellite ping to something like 500 on a good day (which is significantly worse than even ye olde dial-up).

Speaking of ping, that might make geography a bit of a concern too - most of the things on my short list are rather twitch-based and people playing across the Atlantic from each other may have troubles.

My timezone is GMT -6. I'm honestly not sure about my availability - I play a lot with friends and school's gearing up right now, so it's gonna be touch and go at best. At the moment I mostly want to suggest games because I have a lot of experience playing co-op.

Free Options

Warframe - A free-to-play third person shooter. It's very fast-paced and doesn't require a great degree of skill. You play as what is basically a space ninja and shoot dudes and use your four powers to help you shoot dudes better (or just kill them). You gain ranks on your suit and weapons and this allows you to slot mod cards which improve them. Downside is it was grindy way back in Beta and I think it's only gotten worse.

Path of Exile - DISCLAIMER: I do not like Diablo or its ilk. This is a Diablo-like. That said, its main gimmick is that it uses a system a lot like the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X. You start with a class, but you can build towards basically anything. Most of the abilities you get from that are passive; your active abilities come from gems you slot into your equipment that level up with use. It's actually a fairly neat system, if you're the type that likes ARPGs.

Smashmuck Champions - DISCLAIMER: Development on this one is stopped until further notice and I don't know what the community is currently like. It's also a competitive game. It bills itself as a MoBA (like League of Legends), but it's simultaneously more casual and more action-ie. Matches are short, there are several 3v3 game modes, and it can be a blast to play. Unfortunately they removed team queuing so playing together is a bit of a pain from what I remember.

CURRENTLY CHEAP OPTIONS (ACT NOW!) (ya know, if you want)

Natural Selection 2 - This game is available in the current Humble Bundle Weekly Sale for $1. It's a competitive shooter where a group of space marines fights evolving aliens. Both sides have a player who plays commander, placing buildings and such like in an RTS. The marines are fairly standard - you can buy stuff like shotguns and jetpacks as they get researched but mostly they can just shoot harder. The aliens start as skulks, fast but weak and able to walk on walls and ceilings. From there you can evolve into several different alien types each with their own neat gimmick. It might be worth a buck.

Dead Island (and DI:Riptide) - Currently on sale (for the next 19 hours) for $5 ($7.50 for Riptide). It's a purely co-operative first-person game. You do quests and beat the hell out of zombies with whatever's lying around (oars, wrenches, pool cues) as one of four characters. All the weapons have their own set of stats, rarity, and prefix/suffixes and there's also crafting. It's a bit buggy and silly, but still a fun game. I haven't played Riptide, but I understand it's more of the same with more content.

PREMIUM STUFF (i.e. wait 'til it's on sale)

Payday 2 - You play as a gang of criminals out to make the Washington D.C. area really, really sad because reasons. It's a bit like Left 4 Dead in the sense that it's an FPS where you shoot a lot of guys (some of whom are Special) with a clever AI placing them around the map, but the game usually boils down to more of a point-defense type thing where you guard a drill or an ally sawing open deposit boxes. You can also Stealth some missions, though usually this is incredibly difficult and not worth it. Overall the game's an absolute blast.

Borderlands 2 - (Note, there is a Game of the Year edition. I would honestly recommend it includes all the DLC campaigns, which are mostly excellent and worth the price if you like the base game).

It's Diablo, if Diablo was a first-person shooter. It's a lot tighter and less buggy than the original game and is just generally a blast. There's a buttload of guns, skill trees, yadda yadda. Honestly you probably made up your mind with that first sentence.