Playing games in your head/ making challenges..anyone?

2Crowded

Do you ever think to yourself/make challenges to yourself in your head..when doing something, could be anything...."if I finish doing this or that"..before this or that happens....I will get this or that...example could be, become a millionair, be succesful, have long healthy life...whatever you decide at the time....& sometimes you decide that if you should fail to finish whatever it was in the time you agreed on in your head....you will die..or wont be a millionair, wont be succesful or whatever silly result you set for yourself should you come up short on your self imposed timed task you gave yourself.

I dont do this often but I do do it sometimes...I just talked about this with someone today & they said they do that to....made me think..I wonder if it is normal for all people in general to entertain those thoughts from time to time..or could it be more like a trait of people suffering from SA, Avoidence, & or OCD...it actualy sounds a bit like an OCD thing for some reason...though I dont have that.

Spose to explain it further.... I would always give myself another crack at redeeming myself if I failed to get my whatever finished by the time I set for myself....would be bit like when you were shooting hoops as a kid & you pretended that the clock was running out & you were taking the last shot at the buzzer to win it all...of course you would just reset the clock in your head if you missed the shot & have another go to make yourself feel better...of course I know i wont really die or become a millionair as a result of completing the task or failing at it....but I still set the challenge & have a go at it to make myself feel better i spose.

Anyone else :)

Wait. Wait, I am sort of confused. Maybe, I think. I don't make plans ahead amd challenge myself for, or even think about the future. I really don't care about what happens later right now. I'll make a challange, or maybe more like a punishment. Like if I ate something bad, then I'll be like punishing myself for not eating the rest of the day. Maybe that's different.

One thing I also do a lot which probably has nothing to do with any of this at all, is like words. I hate words. Sometimes whenever I see a word or letters, I try to make as many words as I possibly can. Maybe these are just my scrabble demons coming out to get me or something, but it happens quite often. I guess that is a challenge maybe. I also always see things as puzzle pieces, like a tree, and see where the size and shape fot together, and stuff like that, even though it doesn't even exist. Maybe that's just because I am a weirdo.

Emmmmy

Yeh, I do it all the time 2crowded - although I think I did it more when I was a kid though.
Typical example for me would be, (say I'm expecting a phone call) I'd say to myself, if the phone rings when there is a 5 in the time e.g. 12.35, he secretly hates me or we will split up. Mad things like that. I also set challenges, if I don't do this - this will happen (usually not related to what I'm doing)
It does sound like a OCD thing, I know what you mean. I had mild OCD as a child.

Psychedelicious - yes I do the same I think. Especially with registration plates on cars.... I try and make a word out of the letters - I do it in like a trance sometimes when I'm driving! I think the brain is always looking for a pattern or coherence of some kind.

2Crowded

Upon further discussion...im thinking this might be a normal thing for peoples brains to do no matter how weird/funny it is..& not necessarily only in people such as ourselves.....might be just a way to make ones self feel better about ones progress or lack there of.

But still interested to hear if any other members here do it too & if so maybe share what it is you are doing at the time & what you tell yourself will happen..... could be interesting :)

I spose maybe I should ask a few other people who claim to be normal if they do it or not...then maybe we can determin for sure if it's not just a us people here trait lol