Panic attack?

Jack215

Does anyone else ever have this kind of panic attack: It's like I lose my internal voice and my ability to communicate with myself. I end up in absolute terror and feeling completely isolated and alone, unable to form words in my head or have any kind of internal thought or dialouge. I feel like I'm going completely insane, and sometimes think I've lost the ability to communicate with anyone at all, like if I talk no one will understand me. It eventually goes away, like after a half hour, but it's horrifying while it's happening.

Just wondering if anyone heard of something like that before.

coyote

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

there is a wide range of experience here, i'm sure someone can relate

Fanden

Hey Jack, and welcome.

I experienced my first panic attack when I was 16. It bothered me for a while (1-2 years), whereafter it completely disappeared.

First time I was sure I was going to die, because I had no clue what was going on.

When does it happen to you? At work? Or when alone?

Jack215

Hey Jack, and welcome.

I experienced my first panic attack when I was 16. It bothered me for a while (1-2 years), whereafter it completely disappeared.

First time I was sure I was going to die, because I had no clue what was going on.

When does it happen to you? At work? Or when alone?

It's happened when I'm alone, sometimes when I'm asleep, I wake up with it. It's never happened when I'm around anyone else. Nor sure what I'd do, since my thinking gets really disordered and I'd probably be acting very freaked out.

Fanden

That seemed to be my problem aswell. I was so nervous before going to bed that sometimes I'd sit up all night. But eventually my fear of panic attacks faded. I was able to sit through them, thinking I'd be okay. In the end I didn't fear it no more.

Now, I'm no doctor or anything. I can only speak for myself. But maybe you should talk to yours. Panic attacks was only the beginning for me.

I was in a time of my life where I was dropped out of school and didn't have a job. I later started up school again, and there i started being social phobic. Anxiety seems to change all the time in behavior, is what I found out.

Good luck to you

EitherOr

The symptoms experienced clearly vary from person to person, but I also think they vary from attack to attack.

For example, I had my first panic attacks when I was about eight years old. In those days, I had chest pain and hyperventilated. I went to various doctors, only to be told I was perfectly healthy and fine after God knows how many tests.

I had those on an off since, varying from simple hyperventilation and nausea, to one of the worst when I was 14. With that one, I felt like I was falling off of a tight rope. My stomach twisted and flipped, feeling like it was getting wringed out. I was only on the third floor, but it felt like vertigo. Black spots worked their way into my vision, a cold sweat danced across my forehead, and the room began spinning as if I was in the midst of some sort of carousel. Sure, I did take artistic license in describing it, but those were the symptoms I felt with that particular one.

The last panic attack I had occurred after my best friend's mother passed away. I couldn't stop shaking or crying, and pins and needles enveloped my entire body, from my fingertips and toes to my ab muscles and chest.

With all of them, I had trouble collecting my thoughts and felt terribly apprehensive.

I'm not sure that there's ever such a thing as a "normal" panic attack. I would certainly say there are common symptoms (i.e. hyperventilation, panicked thoughts, dizziness, nausea, etc.) but I don't know if they're always identical.

Esperance

Welcome :)
And it's almost the same for me. It's like I cann't control my body and I became obsessive about something. It can be that I am a looser, that my family doesn't deserve me, what I should I wear and sometimes, it can even be about killing myself but I'm lucky, I'm too fearful to do it

mikebird

Banned
Jack

I get this on two fronts: failure

1. medical pain leading to needing to ask for help :question:
I only do this when I know I'll have big trouble, and it'll take a few months in hospital to recover

2. Soul
Looking in the mirror :sad:
Listening to music to get back to my good life memories
Emotion brings tears, during a very healthy smile and fortitude of a determined attitude which I will show to a new girlfriend, which mean a lot... dead people... situations, environments, loved people I'll never be able to resume. I always soon get into a really good mood, reflecting on the past, making room for a positive future. Childhood stuck in hospital was where I learned my own inner being, which I'd always be able to get myself back on top :perfect:

Last edited:
I have panic attacks a lot. I hyperventilate. It is a bitch feeling. I can't relax :sad:

I really hope I will remain calm..:applause: