Panic at the Hairdresser's

LeeAnne

I wish I wasn't scared to get my hair cut.

I used to love getting my hair cut, now it frightens me to sit in a chair and be stared at. I panicked at a hairdressers recently. I started to shake, and it was like I blanked out.

The atmosphere of the place was not great. Music was blaring, and the woman just talked real fast and I could barely understand her.

I just started to get that fluttering feeling, and began to shake. There was a point I almost ran to the bathroom.

I made it through the haircut but, when I feel panicked like that that's when the phobia sets in, and I start to worry about the next hair cut. I know, sounds f*cked don't it.

I've had the same hairdresser since I was ten so it wasn't so bad for me. Last year when I went to college I shaved my head and since then I've been cutting my own hair. Right now it's kind of long and I know that it looks REALLY bad. I want to go back to the hairdresser to get it dyed and cut but I'm scared now at what he's going to say about my haircut. I know my Mom told him that I have been cutting my own hair which makes me more nervous.

Anyways, I know how you feel because I've thinking about finding a new hairdresser but am way to scared because all they do is talk and talk and talk!

xSleepy

oh dang, that sounds horrible. Ive only been to the hairdressers like maybe 4 times in my life.

the first time i got it cut i was maybe 15. it was really awkward and she didnt do my hair the way i wanted. and there was a lot of pain involved!... :(
so that was a really bad experience. But ive been able to get it cut 3 times after that. All of which I was nervous for. But once I was there I calmed down. numbed myself. The worst part of the cut is having to talk to them. lsfjsdkjflsdaj

annoying!
:roll:

miss_amy

Oh god I have to go in a minute. I feel sick, I've been on the toilet all morning. Anyone would think I'm going for a major op or something.

I just hate that close thing, being touched, it sends shivers down my spine. Then there's the having to talk to get over what u want. I stutter under stress and I'm a quiet talker. Then theres the small talk thing..more stuttering, wondering what to say. I don't like telling people things about myself. Trying to hear when they talk to you whilst blow drying!

I hope one of my kids trains to be a hairdresser so one day I can not have to face this hell.

Oh well here goes...time to go.

LLawliet

I used to be afraid too,I would cut my own hair,and would mess it up,I finally went back,have no problem now,if he starts to talk to me,I just respond with short answers and if I feeel like not responding I just say I didnt understand( as he knows I dont speak japanese well,that is one of my favourite excuse ever in social interactions with the japanese :lol: ).

strawberrybrunette

Haha! Oh god this is so funny - i feel exactly the same! I hate going to the hairdressers, but i love having highlights and new hairstyles - knowing my hair looks good gives me a confidence boost. But actually tolerating the hairdressers is a nightmare.

It's alway so embarassing for me. My hair is really thick - like CRAZY thick. It takes half a bleeding century to cut and the stylists are always like "Oh my god, your hair is SOOO thick!" - Yes! I know that! They always somehow make me feel like a sideshow circus act or something. It's very little short of completely humilating.

But, as i said, nothing gives me an image boost more than having a head-load of ringlets and shiny highlights! I'll have to go again sometime soon - in dire need of a haircut, i look a mess - split ends and all that. I'll just try to pick a "good day" to get it done.

Infected_Malignity

That's not terribly abnormal, especially when you realize how much of the panic is self created. Maybe you're overthinking yourself.

Gosh, yes, I can totally relate. I have a problem with change, so I always hate having my hair cut, even just a little bit. I always cry afterwards, kind of like I'm mourning the hair I've lost or something (I know, I'm a crazy lady), but I always feel better a few days later. I've found that being really specific to the hairdresser about that I want helps, then you can sort of control the situation.

This_face

The only thing I find is that I feel like they all think I'm strage or stupid or slow or something and that I'll do or say the wrong thing. They always call me sweetie and stuff and I'm 18, I'm not 13 or something. Plus I have thick crazy curls and all so I always feel like they are so much better than I am, and that they must look at my hair and shake their heads. I know it's probably all in my head. I stil go away, love the new haircut look and feel and all. It's sooo nice! I'm going soon to get my hair redone.

My hair looks terrible now and is getting really long but ever since I moved I cant go get my hair cut. I have used the same hairdresser for my entire life so I never had to worry about it untill now.

My anxiety is at its worst in three places: barber shops, malls, and school campuses.

I wish I could just go sit in the barber chair, say "one haircut please" and then not have to say a word more. I don't give a rats ass what it looks like, just cut it!

chris87

I normally go to the same hairdresser, so this isn't usually a problem for me. The last time I went though, she was sick, and I had to go to a different woman. I don't like when they ask a million questions about what you want done, but I know they're just doing their job.

Ajuna24

I started cutting my own hair years ago. I'd say I've gotten pretty good at it. Being at the hairdresser is bad enough without having them asking you all kinds of questions.

from the hairdresser POV

I am hairdresser and I have terrible anxiety. I also have hyperhidrosis so if I start sweating, forget it, it won't stop until I finish my client and go sit down. I already had one time where I got so sweaty and was blushing that one of the other stylists thought I was having an attack and took over for me. It's really embarrassing. Plus I have no confidence about my skills even tho I have happy clients and know I can do it. Every time I get a client I know this will be the one I mess up. Trust me, there are some of us and anxious as you.

Babbles

Easy To Do Haircut - Yourself

:wink:

The easiest "self-cut" for long, thick to fairly thick hair is to brush and pull it up into a pony tail (I used to make a "high" ponytail straight up on the very top of my head - it looked like a caveman handle for a few minutes) - then I cut it off flush leaving a 4 or 5 inch "tail." This gives a great "layered" look. You can choose to cut the tail longer or shorter depending on how long your hair is now and how long you want your hair to be.

For hair that isn't long enough to pull into one pony tail, use 2 or three or even seven small ponytails, systematically placed to make both sides match. Trim hair to the same length in each (use a ruler). As long as you're using the center of your head as a bench mark, you can't really mess it up.

If you don't have super thick hair, or want one length, part your hair down the middle, pull each section in front of your shoulder and trim it straight across at the collar bone (both sided level). The bottom edges will be a bit fringy, but it'll look fine. If you want it more precise, brush it behind your shoulder and have a friend trim it level or in a slight curve.

These cuts WORK if you hair is at least 3-4 inches long all over! Good luck!

Ricki

OMG i have the exact same thing.. but mine- is a whole lot more embarrasing.. i went bright red and had a massive panic attack evident to all the hair dressers, i also fear the same thing now...