One of the most successful contemporary musicians out there struggled with SAD.

Social_Monstrosity

And depression. AND hard drugs. Read about it here.

Trent Reznor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trent Reznor! He used to be in Nine Inch Nails and dropped out of Interscope Records to pursue a solo career. Most recently he composed the score to The Social Network which has received MANY accolades. He will have a shot at the Oscar for it in February too I'm pretty certain!

Just thought I'd share. :) I found this very inspiring.

Dave1989

And depression. AND hard drugs. Read about it here.

Trent Reznor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trent Reznor! He used to be in Nine Inch Nails and dropped out of Interscope Records to pursue a solo career. Most recently he composed the score to The Social Network which has received MANY accolades. He will have a shot at the Oscar for it in February too I'm pretty certain!

Just thought I'd share. :) I found this very inspiring.

amazing musician

MollyBeGood

Thanks for posting this. His music effects me so much so I cannot listen to it...i know weird.

I like that he took a year off to get his head screwed on as he put it, I kinda have done that the last yr, I have felt a lot of the same overwhelming emotions (death of a loved one) he described and I just couldn't function - had to really think about what I need to want to keep living.

2011 is going to be soo much better or I will die trying to make it so.

JosephG

Wow. This is a big coincidence for me! Just discovered Nine Inch Nails the other day :) His music will always remind me of this Christmas.... which is kind of depressing haha
Every day is exactly the same!

Hastings & Main

I remember finding a cassette of Pretty Hate Machine in a free box at a local record store shortly after it came out, grabbing it just 'cos I was intrigued by the name. Then later thrashing myself around my room to Broken while screaming my lungs out along with the lyrics, thinking, 'here's a guy who knows it'.
Always be a fan of the man even if I don't really like his newer more atmospheric stuff.

JamesSmith

Another great example of this is Zack Greinke. He actually had to leave the team for a year due to Social Anxiety. He managed to deal with his anxiety enough so that he could come back and if you ever watch baseball, you would know about his successful season 2 years back when he won the Cy Young Award which is basically the best pitcher in the American League. Although I do understand his struggles, it's harder for me to feel for the guy too much considering he's a famous millionaire that gets to play a game for a living. Even if you have social anxiety, money can buy a decent amount of happiness. But yeah, he has an anxiety problem and has obviously conquered it enough to be able to be traded to the Milwaukee Brewers. Congrats Zack on overcoming your disorder, I like watching you pitch.

Richey

I think alot of artists or at least the ones who take pride in their craft and don't want the celebrity side of it tend to want to stay as anonymous as possible and the publicity can be tricky to handle, sort of like a weird dream.