Newbie From Bournemouth

ShySam2013

Hi everyone,

I have just joined today & wanted to say hi - I spotted that there are a few more people from Bournemouth so wanted to introduce myself & share a bit about my issues/story.

I came across this site whilst searching about being quiet at work. I've been having a quick look through people's posts on here & it's been like a weight has been lifted as I thought I was entirely alone with the issues I have!!

My main problem is at work - I barely speak to people but I do try to go out make a round of teas for the very small team I work with to try & get myself "out there" amongst other colleagues but mainly I will disengage with my surroundings & focus on the computer screen especially on a bad day, I'm pretty sure that my colleagues either think I'm rude/a bitch/arrogant &/or a weirdo. For example, I went to the work Christmas party recently & took my partner with me for support & even then I wanted to run away - I felt physically sick the entire time & we left quietly whilst everyone else was partying - it was awful & made me feel utterly wretched about myself - it took the best part of a week just to get over that one evening.

There are times when I just wish someone would come along & do all the responsible, adult stuff for me although I try very, very hard to cope with that myself - I just get utterly drained & emotionally exhausted from it at times.

I'm really looking forward to reading more posts & engaging with people on here as it feels like it is somewhere I can be myself without worrying - wish the real world was like that!!

Thank you everyone
Sam

1BlackSheep

My main problem is at work - I barely speak to people but I do try to go out make a round of teas for the very small team I work with to try & get myself "out there" amongst other colleagues but mainly I will disengage with my surroundings & focus on the computer screen especially on a bad day, I'm pretty sure that my colleagues either think I'm rude/a bitch/arrogant &/or a weirdo.
Welcome, Sam! I'm kind of the same way around people I'm not comfortable with at work and have had people think I'm unfriendly, stuck-up, etc. Once I get more comfortable around them, they see that I'm actually a friendly, chatty person who has a pretty good sense of humor (well, most of the time!). I've just had to accept that not everyone will like me and I'm trying to re-train my brain into thinking that those people who intimidate me are really no better (or worse) than I am. Easier said than done, but it's for my own good!

ShySam2013

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your supportive & welcoming messages - it really means alot. I do have the odd occasion when I do have a fairly normal conversation with people at work but it's rare - when it does happen it does make me feel good & "normal" (whatever THAT is hahaha!!) but like Winja said, I find it very difficult to recover when I am having an period of being introverted & shut off. I'm feeling nervous about work tomorrow but I'm trying very hard to distract myself from those negative thoughts.
I've been to counselling (for other issues) & she told me that it's ok to be quiet so I guess I should be comfortable with that part of myself instead of fighting it so much but I find it incredibly difficult which then probably makes the issues worse - vicious circle!!!

And Bournemouth is absolutely full to the brim with bars, nightclubs & pubs so it's definitely not retirement central anymore! Lol!

Bookworm

Hi from a fellow Bournemouth (female) newbie. What you've said, certainly resonates and I've had similar experiences. Feel free to send me a private message if you like.

gg1978

Hi Sam, I am also from Bournemouth and I can totally relate to what you are saying. I find social gatherings hard and also like you have to have a recovery time when I come home which usually involves me going to bed. I am also quiet around people and I get really nervous and sometimes cancel meetings with friends because I can't face the situation. Message me back and maybe we can arrange a meet up with others from Bournemouth aswell. Gemma

sahxox

Welcome, Sam! I'm kind of the same way around people I'm not comfortable with at work and have had people think I'm unfriendly, stuck-up, etc. Once I get more comfortable around them, they see that I'm actually a friendly, chatty person who has a pretty good sense of humor (well, most of the time!). I've just had to accept that not everyone will like me and I'm trying to re-train my brain into thinking that those people who intimidate me are really no better (or worse) than I am. Easier said than done, but it's for my own good!

Yep nailed it

LeDiskoLove99

Hey Sam! Welcome. You are definitely not alone, especially with issues at work, there are a lot of people here including myself who knows how that feels. And I'm sure you'll find a lot of people to relate to on here, there's a lot of friendly understanding people.

Nice to have you. :bigsmile::applause: