New and Nervous!

PhobiaTired

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum but I've had social anxiety my whole life. I am 24 from CA and since I was born I've struggle with being extremely shy. I talk more about how it has affected me in this video I posted on youtube. My first vid on the subject so I'm not that good haha but if you are interest you can watch it :blushing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFRW6BCjTLQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I enjoyed your video, it took a lot of guts to put yourself out there on youtube. Also, I hope you don't mind me saying so but, you are a very pretty girl. Welcome to SPW.

Shortyn510

Wow your very good looking! Yup I deal with the same stuff and panic attacks just till they stopped recently. Where are you in Cali?

jaim38

I saw your video. I also didn't speak up when restaurants botch my order! I just went with what they gave me.

I'm also a geek and would study a lot during homerooms and study halls, because I didn't care about socializing and thought homework was more important. But now I realize how wrong I was.

You spoke about the bathroom incident in elementary school. Something similar also happened to me. Like you, my bladder was full and I was doing my best to hold it in. I wanted to go to the bathroom but didn't have the courage to tell my teacher. Then a classmate raised his hand and asked to go to the bathroom. Everybody was looking at him. The teacher let him go. Taking this opportunity, I decided to "piggyback" off this guy and ask to go to the bathroom as well. But the teacher rejected my request, and my classmates laughed at me. They think I'm just joking, but I really do need to go.

theoutsider

Welcome to the forum. I really enjoyed the video. It's always nice to see someone else with SA who has decided they are not going to let it beat them down and vow to improve as much as possible. For some insane reason I decided to join Toastmasters earlier this year (the group that teaches you to lose your fear of public speaking) so that I could step out of my comfort zone. I must say that you are a pretty good speaker, especially for someone who has SA. Please keep it up. I look forward to your input on here as well as your updated videos!

MikeyC

Greetings, PhobiaTired. Great video and kudos to you for uploading that.

Your discussion on negative thoughts and phone calls resonated with me, as both of those are still something I am fighting. You sound like you're getting better at everything, too, so that's awesome. :)

Xervello

You're very good talking in front of the camera. I don't even like talking Behind it, ha ha, so I admire the courage it took. Please keep sharing your stories. Will look forward to learning more. Welcome to our meek abode. :)

PhobiaTired

I enjoyed your video, it took a lot of guts to put yourself out there on youtube. Also, I hope you don't mind me saying so but, you are a very pretty girl. Welcome to SPW.

Thank you :blushing: and to be honest I was uneasy at first about uploading it! Thanks for the welcoming!

PhobiaTired

I saw your video. I also didn't speak up when restaurants botch my order! I just went with what they gave me.

I'm also a geek and would study a lot during homerooms and study halls, because I didn't care about socializing and thought homework was more important. But now I realize how wrong I was.

You spoke about the bathroom incident in elementary school. Something similar also happened to me. Like you, my bladder was full and I was doing my best to hold it in. I wanted to go to the bathroom but didn't have the courage to tell my teacher. Then a classmate raised his hand and asked to go to the bathroom. Everybody was looking at him. The teacher let him go. Taking this opportunity, I decided to "piggyback" off this guy and ask to go to the bathroom as well. But the teacher rejected my request, and my classmates laughed at me. They think I'm just joking, but I really do need to go.

Hi Jaim38!
Thank you for sharing these experiences with me, they got me teary eyed! Having my classmates laugh at me was my worst nightmare I can only imagine how you felt when that happened and in addition having to hold it in! Smh
Also thanks for watching the video :)

PhobiaTired

Welcome to the forum. I really enjoyed the video. It's always nice to see someone else with SA who has decided they are not going to let it beat them down and vow to improve as much as possible. For some insane reason I decided to join Toastmasters earlier this year (the group that teaches you to lose your fear of public speaking) so that I could step out of my comfort zone. I must say that you are a pretty good speaker, especially for someone who has SA. Please keep it up. I look forward to your input on here as well as your updated videos!

Hi Theoutsider :)
First off, I love your username!! Thanks for watching the vid I'm glad you liked it :bigsmile: Omg that must of took a lot of courage! I'm not at a point where I think I could join that, public speaking is my worst enemy! haha Hope to know how it goes! And I am not! To be truthful I messed up a lot because I was so nervous and that was the second time I shot the whole vid because in the first one I said "you know" a lot without realizing it! lol

PhobiaTired

Greetings, PhobiaTired. Great video and kudos to you for uploading that.

Your discussion on negative thoughts and phone calls resonated with me, as both of those are still something I am fighting. You sound like you're getting better at everything, too, so that's awesome. :)

Hey MikeyC! Thanks for watching the video and yup I don't really understand how phone calls can be so hard if no one sees me! Thanks for your good vibes makes me not regret uploading it! :bigsmile:

PhobiaTired

You're very good talking in front of the camera. I don't even like talking Behind it, ha ha, so I admire the courage it took. Please keep sharing your stories. Will look forward to learning more. Welcome to our meek abode. :)

Thank you Xervello for the welcome and for watching the video! :) I was really nervous talking in front of the camera! That was actually the second time I recorded the whole thing because the first time I was way more nervous, kept talking too fast and saying "you know" a whole lot without even realizing it! hahaha