Nervousness before starting threads

My social anxiety and problems interacting with people in person seem to transfer onto this site. I have to talk myself into starting new threads about things that I feel because in the back of my mind, I have negative thoughts - does anybody care anyway, am I just whining, do I sound stupid, etc. Do you experience this?

emmasma

Yes and when I get private messages or friends requests I ignore them for a really long time and get anxious whenever I am on the site because I can see the little number where it says your notifications.

LadyWench

My social anxiety and problems interacting with people in person seem to transfer onto this site. I have to talk myself into starting new threads about things that I feel because in the back of my mind, I have negative thoughts - does anybody care anyway, am I just whining, do I sound stupid, etc. Do you experience this?

Yep. I experience this. It's why I rarely ever create threads. I'm sure they'll be stupid and I'll come off as a whiny bitch. And I am a whiny bitch, but it would be nice if I didn't give off that vibe online, as well as in person.

shore_of_glass

YES!!! Exactly like me man! Starting threads, answering messages, etc always very nervous and afraid to be mistaken with just a whiner or getting no atention.

Harleyq

Yeah, definitely. Mostly because once you make a thread on here, you can't delete it yourself. I don't have a problem making posts but I'm afraid to make threads cause I start thinking "What if everyone thinks it's stupid and nobody replies? Then I can't just get rid of it, I have to ask a mod" and I feel shy about making requests to anyone on here.

DarkSeeker

Take the leap of faith, I find it almost as exciting as frightening, if not more. Makes you wonder why you would fear fear in the first place.

Square_Eyes

Sure. I tend not to start threads for this exact reason. I can't post anything on here without anxiously reading through what I've written at least a dozen times.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't start any threads for many reasons, but mainly I fear i'd sound like i'm whining or my thread would be pointless... Plus, i have nothing much to talk about anyway, so any thread from me would be pointless indeed.

Shift

Yeah, I'm like that too. Actually, that's why I haven't started any threads, except for one in the introductions section.

U

userremoved

Yeah, I've avoided the whole starting a thread for the same reason, I thought it was just me though. Plus I've run into quite a few jerks online so that didn't help much.

reslo

some people can converse quite easily on the web- i'm not one of those people. Outta 182+ posts, I've made 5 threads (which is a lot for me-- im not comfortable making them, i think whatever i say sounds dumb- but at the same time, i have this disease too, so i feel it's important for sa'ers to speak out & get feedback) so im glad that this site is busy enough/people feel open enough to make new threads pretty often.

but you know what, you faced your fear, and have made a thread- nice job!

Last edited:

Silvox Black

Self loathing, doubt, bitterness, self ridicule, we all have felt such things. You are not alone in such thoughts, I myself have declined from starting threads due to the fact that I believe my words bear no merit or importance.

Then you have reached that conclusion via logical proof yes? Would you be so kind as to present evidence? Or are you unable to prove such a belief?

yes, gladly. When I made my one and only thread, the day I first started here, you were one of the first people to post in my thread.....Your post made a great deal of difference to the way I felt that day. It provided me with the advice and support I was needing!!:)

Silvox Black

yes, gladly. When I made my one and only thread, the day I first started here, you were one of the first people to post in my thread.....Your post made a great deal of difference to the way I felt that day. It provided me with the advice and support I was needing!!:)

Two short replies on the basic knowledge of exposure therapy cannot account for my entire character and personality. You cannot say that my posts have merit based from that one small event.

Mermaid~81

Oh yeah, i have facebook right, and i hardly ever post anything on 'what's on your mind' bit, even though i know im funny and interesting i think that others might not like what i put... what if i annoy them, they say something bad...

and whenever someone IMs me then you should feel my stress go through the roof! and it sounds silly as i've said to people i have told before but i can help how i feel.

as for starting threads, yeah! i think what if they think the topic is silly, what if someone is nasty to me but you know what, the past few days i've needed on a few other issues to post on other forums and i have had almost everyone be mean to me, but even though it bothers me i have gone back, coz i know if i avoid everything that scares or upsets me then i wont leave my room.

went to the football the other day on the club coach as usual, other time i went a went to get my BF coffee - big thing to do when you stress as much as i do - and i got photographed! unsightly angle, it was on the website front page (a crowd shot) but with me right in the middle at the front, then it was in the local paper! and then all over facebook! i just had to roll my eyes and forget it, nothing i could do.

Emily_G

Oh yeah. I'm usually afraid of not getting any responses...so I rarely make any threads on any of the forums I attend.