need help deciding on a new vehicle toy

Section_31

Hey guys,

So, with my separation now complete, im doing something ive always wanted but was never able to. Im planning to buy myself a new vehicle toy for summer. Now, im a truck addict, and I already have an 06 dodge 1500 4x4 as my daily driver, for both summer and winter, ect. Ive souped it up essentially as far as I can.

What im considering, is one of 3 vehicles. id like thoughts, pros, cons, ect. Bear in mind t hat 99% of the time it will never see a rainy day.

1. a 60s to 70s ford f - series truck. Ive always loved these older pickups and they just have a certain character modern trucks don't.

2. a 70s to mid 90s vintage ford bronco. Same reason as above. ive always love these as well but never owned one.

3. 87 to 92 dodge d-250 series with a diesel. This is on the "would be nice/cool" list, but these are a lot harder to find in my area because people hang onto them, they run forever.

4. a mid 80's to early 90's Mercedes. any class. Only car on the list. This WOULD maybe see a bit more road time, but not likely.

Thoughts?

MollyBeGood

Wow you have seriously broad tastes in vehicles! I have never known some one to be debating between a dodge diesel and a Mercedes!

I would go with a truck, but if you already have one then get a Mercedes, I guess. I know replacement parts on them can be very costly though, unlike the trucks you can get junk yard parts for them for cheap. My Dad had a few of them growing up and he loved them, but he never was into anything american-or trucks for that matter...which might explain why I love them now, and want one...also I need one to pull a horse trailer and haul hay. I think I would get the earlier model Ford in a 3/4 ton myself.

coyote

might i suggest....

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

images

Section_31

LOL, thanks for the input

No a merc is one of the only cars id get, aside from a mercury grand marquis ;). Ive owned 2 560SEL's previously and know more or less what they cost for things. they certainly are fun to drive.

Having owned some though im considering going into something ive never owned before :). And as older fords are (usually) cheaper to insure and maintain, that's what I was thinking :).

I was actually considering buying a fully restored truck off ebay from southern cali or AZ, flying down, and driving it back to Canada with my dad. still trying to decide. I wont be actually prepared to get one until next summer at the earliest, but im serious about it and am trying to decide now lol :).

Hoppy

The only one I've ever seen was the Mercedes, but based on google images I would go with the Dodge.

Have fun.

Hey guys,

So, with my separation now complete, im doing something ive always wanted but was never able to. Im planning to buy myself a new vehicle toy for summer. Now, im a truck addict, and I already have an 06 dodge 1500 4x4 as my daily driver, for both summer and winter, ect. Ive souped it up essentially as far as I can.

What im considering, is one of 3 vehicles. id like thoughts, pros, cons, ect. Bear in mind t hat 99% of the time it will never see a rainy day.

1. a 60s to 70s ford f - series truck. Ive always loved these older pickups and they just have a certain character modern trucks don't.

2. a 70s to mid 90s vintage ford bronco. Same reason as above. ive always love these as well but never owned one.

3. 87 to 92 dodge d-250 series with a diesel. This is on the "would be nice/cool" list, but these are a lot harder to find in my area because people hang onto them, they run forever.

4. a mid 80's to early 90's Mercedes. any class. Only car on the list. This WOULD maybe see a bit more road time, but not likely.

Thoughts?

I prefer the 60's to 70's Ford F series out of all. I have a 2004 F150 that never gets used BUT I have had a 1978 4x4 for over 10 years, fully restored. It's my daily driver. I have pics in my albums. It has been different colors and different engines but now it's blue with a 351 Cleveland bolted to a bulldog 4 speed. My next big block will be a 460 with 454 Chevy crank and rods, makes a 514 I believe, I'll live with 5 m.p.g. and be happy with all the raw power :mad: I can't make a recommendation for a diesel as I've never owned one but if I were constantly pulling a horse trailer or a gooseneck of any kind I'd have one. I too like the old Broncos. Can't comment on a Mercedes either but I'd own one. When you get one you want post some pics!

Section_31

ha, well, slightly unexpected but nonetheless excited.

My dad and me found and went halfers on a 1985 mercury grand marquis. I always loved this model of car too because he had one from 79, and owned 5 or 6 different ones all the way up to I think 2001. My earlier memory as a kid is of riding in a big black boat of a car. We jumped on this one because its a rarer one, hard to find, as it has a 351 W, 90% of these cars came with the 302. The body is in more or less very decent shape. We plan to restore it eventually. Interior is good, needs a cleaning out but nothing a good few hours at the car wash wont fix.

Im excited for this. we got it for 750$. It'll take a while but we plan to restore the body, have it repainted its original pearl white, and then later on get a custom built 427 and drop it in, to make it a total sleeper.

We pick it up tonight at 7 :D

Section_31

Well its happened :)

I picked up a big white boat of a mercury grand marquis last night. The thing glides beautifully down the road. Very elegant and classy, but at the same time with that 351w under the hood the thing has a lot of power on tap. Im stoked because so many old mustang and police car parts will bolt right onto this car. Its the first carbureted vehicle ive owned, but not really a big difference from a fuelie once you get to know it :). Its extremely hard now to find one as rust free as this, especially in alberta!. The guy really took care of it. It DOES need some mechanical work, but then for a car that's almost 30 years old that's to be expected, and I don't mind putting that money into it, I plan to restore it to showroom condition eventually :).

Pics to come later! im happy!