need help conversing with roommate

Anonymous

Alright so here I am at college and my roommate is a really nice person and its not that I am shy I just don't know what to talk about. We have very few things in common and small chat is as far as we get. I just don't know what to say to ppl that i hang out and find myself being quiet which I am sick of. Anyone have any advice?

monica

Same thing happened to me long time ago we just didnt talk,a few words maybe
:?
I wanted another rommate!!!!!

Anonymous

Work on the things you already have in common. Also, try to show some interest in something he's into that you aren't, and try to share something you're into that's new to him. See what happens. I guess a big part of college is learning new things from your classmates as well as class. (I learned a whole lot just hanging around the dorms, lol.)

Easier said than done, though, I realize. :) I didn't get along with my college roommate; fortunately I transferred to a single room in another dorm and kept single rooms until I graduated. ;) So I totally avoided most of that. I know, I'm such a big help. ;)

arlequin

Hello. You can talk about the classes, teachers and other students. I think that will give you many changes to talk.
It's usually difficult to have conversations with people we don't know very well. At the moment you don't have much in common but as you get to know him better you'll find out more things you share. It happens the same to me. Many times I'm with people and don't know what to say. I think hard what can I say but it's worse because this way nothing comes to mind. The best it to relax and don't get obssesed about it.

Tris

I know its not exactly the same thing, but me and my best friend are COMPLETE oppsites, we have almost nothing in common, and thats what i like about her, we both like different things from music to movies to food to style, almost anything you could think of we are different and learn alot from each other. 1st thing you need to do is get to know him better, ask questions, about what he likes, anything, could be something small, and just go with it. It will become easier to talk as time goes by. not great advice but sometimes anything helps.

Hope everything goes well : )

Anonymous

If he's a really nice guy, he's probably trying to think of interesting things to talk about to you, his new roomate and person he is going to share the first year of college with, as well. I know how difficult it might be but the best thing is probably just to relax with it and not rush. You are presumably going to be spending a large amount of time with the guy, so there will be room for conversation. If you can't rack you're brain about things to say now..it'll come. Hope all other aspects of university life are going well!! :D

-dunno if thats any help, but sometimes shyness between people is a process and opening up occurs on both sides