Need an opinion

grapevine

So my partner plays electric guitar and tells me he has been playing for 15 years and one of the best in the state. I think he is good, but I'm no guitarist. I cannot tell if he is really good -but not great, good or good-good. I will likely take this off later as I feel it's kinda wrong to put his videos here and all that- but because he has schizophrenia (but has not had psychosis since 2010 and takes regular injections of Risperdal medicine), he still to me can be delusional and inflated about himself and it makes it hard for me to see where he actually stands on a lot of things.I think he is quite talented- but I can't tell if these are hard to do or not etc..they look it but idk. Anyway these are his videos:

Last edited:

worrywort

Well, I've been making music for around 20 years and I can't play guitar like that! So he's obviously been practising hard and his shredding skills are pretty good. But music is subjective, and for me, there doesn't seem to be much soul or feeling or connection with the music. That for me is what makes a guitarist a great guitarist. But that's just me. Some people love this shredding stuff, and I can easily imagine your partner doing ok in a shredding competition. I can't imagine he'd be one of the best in an entire state though. Maybe best in your town? Not sure. But I think lots of people over estimate their abilities. I still consider my own music to be as good as some of the greats, despite only having about 4 fans, so who knows?!

Last edited:
I play guitar, and that is definitely a person with years of experience. The thing about music is that it's so ingrained in us that when it's done well, it hardly seems complicated at all. Making it seem so effortless is sort of the end goal of learning to play an instrument.

grapevine

Thanks guys. And I get it now- that it just looks so easy - but isn't. I kinda can see now where his skill is - thanks.