need advice badly on job

Flanscho

Situation is like this:

November last year, I was working on a project at the company I work for (I'm a programmer). Suddenly one of my two bosses (they share the company) came in with a potential client, asking me whether I could realize some project. I said "sure, should I start with it once I'm done with this?", to which they replied with "none".

Fast forward to mid january this year. I didn't have much to do, no urgent projects to work on. At a meeting of the company (a tiny company, just me, two other coworkers and two bosses), I asked "what about this project mentioned end of last year, what's with it?" And I was told "nah, not important".

Fast forward, to end of january this year. They fire me for not having enough programming work, and tell me that I don't have to show up anymore, since they got no work anyway, but I should stay on standby.

Fast forward today, they asked me to show up, so I did that. This is the last week for me, at the end of this week, my contract with them ends.
One boss: "remember the one project we talked about in november? how quickly can you do it?"
Me: "Uhm, I have to program it from ground up. With these these and these functions (*poining at a mindmap I made*) I can finish it, with luck, in this week. But only if the coworkers provide the layout, graphics and all that, so I can concentrate on programming."
Boss: "not enough, I want it with those functions there too"
Me: "not doable in this week"
Boss: "then do it next week, you had lots of spare time the last few weeks"
Me: "I was on constant standby. Next week I won't work for you anymore. If you want me to work for you then, I can do it as a freelancer, and we negotiate a payment"
Boss: "no! I want this project done until the end of the next week! You had enough time, why didn't you work on it earlier? You didn't have much to do!"
Me: "I asked whether I should work on it. You said I shouldn't."
Boss: "I don't remember that!"
Me: "I remember it clearly. I wrote it down here. I asked in the third week of january during our meeting."
Boss: "I do NOT remember that. And I'm sure neither do the others. You didn't ask. Or if you did, then you just heard what you wanted to hear! You are bad at communication!"
Me: "Sorry? This is not fair! YOU asked me not to work on it. And now YOU blame me for it not being finished?"
Boss: "I will check my notes of this meeting! And you will too! And make me an offer for what you want for the rest of the project!"

So... I could do now following.
a) say "oh yes, we are buddies, I will finish it for free next week because I'm a nice person". They will be glad and I have the feeling of being ripped off.
b) say "screw you! You call me liar, you fire me just like that? You forget that project and blame it on me? My contract ends this week. For the next four days, I will still do the best work I can, but then I'm out of here. I don't care what you do with the project, or how you finish it!" They will be furious and hate me and make the next few days hell, but then I'm out of there for good.
c) give them an expensive offer. A regular good freelancing programmer earns about 50€ an hour, so 400€ a day, which would be 1600€ to 2000€ for the week of work. They will complain and curse and shout and try to negotiate and then say 'no' and hate me.
d) give them a cheap offer, like 30€ an hour. They will still complain, but probably accept.

I don't have much money, but I don't need their money that badly, and I don't really want to work for them anymore. If they call me a liar now, how can I trust them not to scam me on the project?

Please, give me advice.

jaim38

First of all, don't piss off your bosses! You want to leave the company on good terms. If you leave on bad terms and then go find another job, they can make your life hell. Many employers will check your work history and they will not hesitate to call your former bosses to ask for their opinions about you. If you piss off your former bosses, they can say all sorts of negative things about you which means your chances of finding a job will be lower. So, as bad as it sounds, try to remain calm and end things smoothly.

I would choose options a or d. Think of it this way: after next week, you won't have to deal with them again.

Flanscho

Well, I already got a signed official certificate by them that states that I'm n awesome employee. I don't want to piss off people on purpose, but getting called a liar and being told to work for free at the same time? oO

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Wow I hate your boss lol
Don't do it for free, you're not volunteering. Why does it have to be cheap or expensive? Can't you just make an offer that is reasonable for both of you?

mikebird

Banned
Their staff are meat

They want to 'run on empty'

Get as much as you can from the staff. Offer the least salary possible

Keep 'em loyal, or fire them

I watched three teams being cut. We were all in the same room, watching. Months later, more to go. Then again.

After that just me and my boss. She quit to do a police walkie talkie organisation project. She told me a recruitment website to use. I found a better one

coyote

take the idea with you to another company and offer to sell it to them when they hire you

ImNotMyIllness

Your boss sounds like a real jerk. This is very common. Your boss was very busy, he asks you a question without even paying attention to your answer. Then not remembering what you said, arrogantly accuses you of hearing what you wanted to hear when in fact he is the one guilty of that.

Give him a price quote of 30. You need the money anyway and it's a generous offer.

awkwardamanda

Situation is like this:Boss: "I do NOT remember that. And I'm sure neither do the others. You didn't ask. Or if you did, then you just heard what you wanted to hear! You are bad at communication!"

Right. You're the bad communicator here. Managers can do no wrong.:eek:mg:

xDreamseller

I would offer to do it for 30e an hour. Keep them on good terms, while at the same time earning a pretty decent wage.

The world is a small place at times, you never know when you might run into them again on possible future projects and it can never hurt having them on your side for future references etc.

By the way, where are you earning 50e an hour freelancing with programming? (I'm doing a computer science degree and am trying to scope out the market for when I'm finished)

Last edited: