need a friend

eran

hey im wayne,i have sa, i havent posted anything before but im at a low point in my life.im only 24 but i cant see me carrying on like this,after 5 years of bottling up the courage to see my gp,he ends up telling me to "just get out there and ignore what people think".he said there was no cure apart from just getting used to being with people.

I would have loved to try some medications even though i know they dont work for most.
Im alienating childhood friends because i dont want them to see how my confidence is at an all time low.

I was looking to see if there was anyone from the uk here who i could keep in touch with as i dont know anybody with sa id love to meet a fellow sufferer,anways bye for now,wayne.

unigirl

Well you did well persiveiring and waiting five years to see your gp! I have recently found out that i had SA, although I have had it for years, i just didn't know what it was until now. Took me two weeks to go to see my doctor. went today and it was a waste of time, he gave me sleeping pills, he didn't understand what the real problem was but i couldn't explain it very well, but its hard to explain how it really makes you feel!! God its frustrating. :x

Well i'm feeling the same as you right now, as is probably everyone who visits this forum. I have been locked up in my room on my own for two months, not wanting to see anybody. Have to lie to my housemates when they ask if i want to go to the pub and am worrying they think i am weird etc.

Well if you wanna chat!

Bye for now

richkid

I'm glad tohear you have gone to the GP,keep going. I was told exactly the same thing,its true but you have to take it on board.
The next step is to understand why you behave in this way,and find out how to change this.
Things to try are hypnotherapy, relaxaton techniques cognitive restructuring,basically trying to unlearn bad habits. For meds its different for everyone,I personnally would not recommend anti depressants go for the natural herb route. (Ginkgo Biloba and St Johns Wart.)
Keep reading these boards, they do help.
Try http://socialanxietysupport.com/index.htm

I know it seems like you'll never get out of SA, don't think ofit as a problem more of a challenge. Got to put in the effort to see results and when you do the reward will be great.

Keep smiling :D

Frozen_In_Time

Hiya, I'm from the UK (thanks for your message Wayne) Congratulations for taking the steps to see your GP, I'm sure that must have been hard. I would like to talk to you, but only I have lots of restrictions on the computer. I don't think you would appreciate me just keeping in touch on a "come and go" basis...sorry, I didn't know how else to explain that! What I meant was that I wouldn't be able to talk to you every day, and it may be a long time until I contacted you next *sigh*

Anyway, I wish you all the best for the future.