My story(semi long)

So I thought I would post my story, I am not saying it is anything that is exceptional.

So I have social phobia and depression, at least those are the things I know I have, I might also have some OCD.

My story starts somewhere around 5th/6th grade, my memory of events isn't super great anymore, but what happened is sometime in about 5th or 6th grade my dad moved out of the house. There was no explanation that I can remember for it at the time, this came later. I really don't know how this leaving of my dad made me feel but it was the start of issues. It was about a year or so later that the explanation came. We were all sat down and were told that my dad found out that he was gay. At the time I don't even think I understood the concept of gay. I remember my family crying, not me, and then having it sweeped out of the way.

It was later that in 7th grade that for about a month or so I developed these awful stomach issues. I was taken to multiple doctors, with multiple tests, for them to find nothing. And in time they all ended. This might have been the first sign but only seen in hindsight.

Then in 8th grade is where the real trouble started. This was an awkward year for me, since I was just coming into my shell, and had a crush on a girl in one of my classes. About 1/3 of the way through the school year, I was apart of a "smarter student" group and I was in a little room with like 5 others, at one point I had to go to the bathroom and as school policy needed a hall pass. Well I thought I could wait till the end of class and go, well I was wrong. At one point I really had to go, so I went to get a pass and well needless to say it took a while to get, by the time I was heading to the bathroom, I lost control. I was beyond embarrassed and did what I could to dry the pants so I didn't look I did that. I then went back to the room, though in a horribly panicked state, thinking everyone would know. When class ended, it was the last one of the day. I ran out of the school, and took the long secluded route home, I walked that is. I believe this event to be a major turning point in my issue.

It was the next day while in class that I suddenly had to run to the bathroom again, I went and seemed fine, till I got back to the room and within minutes had to go again. This happened 3 times before I was sent home. It was a long couple of months after that in which doctors did many tests to figure out what was wrong. The whole time I refused to leave the house. In time I was told I had social phobia, and was sent to a psychiatrist. They tired working with me. I was also recommended to take meds, which turned into taking Paxil. Needless to say, this is a time in which many memories are faded. I know that I told I had to go to school in some capacity to move on to 9th grade. Plans were drawn up for me to do independent study etc, and to stay in the counselors office at school. Though this worked to a degree. Any social connections I might have had were lost, my grades slipped for the first time in a long time, and any hope of getting closer to the girl I had a crush on was out the window.

In time I was able to get out more, but it never was the same, I became depressed, withdrawn. Had few friends, and not great ones. The one time the girl I had a crush on tried talking to me, I ran, as I have been doing. Any time I have a panic attack, the first issue I get is the uncontrollable urge to go to the bathroom, and it wont end. I did move on to the 9th grade, but by that time, I had gained wright, and became super withdrawn. Throughout highschool the withdrawn state stayed, I was a loner in many aspects. Memories of high school are also very fragmented. My grades slipped more, though I passed school with a decent gpa. Interests I had before the issues were lowered, I lost all motivation.

It has been 10 some years since that time and I still have many unresolved issues. I can't remember many things that happened in those years, it is like I don't care to remember. I still can't talk to many people and when I do I can't stay in the room more then 10-30 minutes at a time before I have to run to the bathroom. Forget about talking to girls, that wont happen. I just run away. Due to this I have never had a girlfriend, I havent even kissed a girl. And it feeds the depression. I am still on paxil, though I have lowered the dose to 10mg, in hopes of gaining some more emotion back.

Needless to say everyday I fight to be normal. I sit in class and figit and hope no one sees. I have to use disabilities to allow me to leave rooms when I need to etc, though even that isn't great, since I cant leave if there is a test, and those can last 2 hours, and well within 30 minutes I lose concentration. And I fight the urge to want to socialize to want to met people, only to have that urge be pushed back by my fears. It is a never-ending loop.

I wont make this much longer, but I am at one of those cusps in life, I have to pass this college to get a degree or my chances to try again are beyond slim. My family is to poor to help in any aspect there, and they all have their own issues now. I am afraid I will fail, and my ability to care or get motivated isnt really there.

Thank you for reading this, if you did. And sorry it was so long, this is really the first time I have talked about some of this to anyone.

---Tim Wright

Last edited:

Jake123

Banned
We were all sat down and were told that my dad has decided that he was gay.

It's not a decision =/
Trust me...

But I understand your story... and I know where you're coming from... I'm sorry

I used to be on Paxil, it made me extremely nauseous and emotionless... it's hard to even describe

Being poor sucks too

yeah, I went threw hell also, still am... how old r u now? :) I have never had a b. friend, nor kissed, it's hard to believe because i'm what u'd call uncoventially beautiful... but whatever ... still sucks!

yeah, I went threw hell also, still am... how old r u now? :) I have never had a b. friend, nor kissed, it's hard to believe because i'm what u'd call uncoventially beautiful... but whatever ... still sucks!

Chained! Omg! Just go on a trip to Italy or Greece, find a hot guy, **** him, and come back. Nobody has to know about it, and that way at least you have some kind of experience right? :D :cool:

So I thought I would post my story, I am not saying it is anything that is exceptional.

The more I learn the more I discover how fantasticaly mundane my story is as well. ;)

My story starts somewhere around 5th/6th grade, my memory of events isn't super great anymore, but what happened is sometime in about 5th or 6th grade my dad moved out of the house....It was about a year or so later that the explanation came. We were all sat down and were told that my dad found out that he was gay.

It was later that in 7th grade that for about a month or so I developed these awful stomach issues.

Yea it sounds like a general anxiety disorder was developing out of the trauma of discovering your Dad was gay, losing your house-hold father figure, and your family dissolving. Physical symptoms are the first sign in some cases. I experienced headaches, felt listless, and had a persisstent eye-twitch at the onset of my GAD.

Then in 8th grade is where the real trouble started.

You and I are quite alike, my problems started in 8th grade as well. There is a nother poster here named DownInaHole whose issues also began around this time.

This was an awkward year for me, since I was just coming into my shell, and had a crush on a girl in one of my classes.

Me too! I turned my life around and went from being a pariah to a liked person.

...by the time I was heading to the bathroom, I lost control. I was beyond embarrassed and did what I could to dry the pants so I didn't look I did that. I then went back to the room, though in a horribly panicked state, thinking everyone would know....I believe this event to be a major turning point in my issue.

Wow that a traumatic experience. I definately agree with you that this traumatizing event was a major catalyst in your GSAD. Your experience reminds me, there was a guy I know of who actually shit his pants spontaneously in front of the entire class. It was a physical problem that he had no warning of.

It was the next day while in class that I suddenly had to run to the bathroom again, I went and seemed fine, till I got back to the room and within minutes had to go again. This happened 3 times before I was sent home.

Seems like an obsessive-anxious reaction to the trauma. Typical of phobias.

It was a long couple of months after that in which doctors did many tests to figure out what was wrong. The whole time I refused to leave the house. In time I was told I had social phobia, and was sent to a psychiatrist.

Wow, you found out so early. None of the psychologists I saw informed me that I had social phobia. Then again I wasn't exactly keen on hearing that.

Any social connections I might have had were lost, my grades slipped for the first time in a long time, and any hope of getting closer to the girl I had a crush on was out the window.

Yep, that's serious GSAD all-right. One day you were a relatively normal kid, living your life, skipping and singing while trying to ignore the crushing general anxiety and depression you were experiencing during the last several years. The next day WHAM! GSAD blindsides you and becomes progressively worse over several months until you are totaly socialy crippled. Now youre in mental prison, forever, until you dig your way out. ::(:

In time I was able to get out more, but it never was the same, I became depressed, withdrawn. Had few friends, and not great ones....My grades slipped more, though I passed school with a decent gpa. Interests I had before the issues were lowered, I lost all motivation.

That story just sounds so familiar to me. I had a few friends at a few points but there was a year where I was entirely by myself. Isn't it cruel how much you change, and to think that it's your fault somehow when it's really the illness, is an ironic punishment.

It has been 10 some years since that time and I still have many unresolved issues. I can't remember many things that happened in those years, it is like I don't care to remember.

Me neither. Even worse, most of my childhood memories from before my GSAD / GAD are highly degraded or inaccessible. I think its because these memories are clouded, but I bet they are still there.

Needless to say everyday I fight to be normal. I sit in class and figit and hope no one sees. I have to use disabilities to allow me to leave rooms when I need to etc, though even that isn't great, since I cant leave if there is a test, and those can last 2 hours, and well within 30 minutes I lose concentration. And I fight the urge to want to socialize to want to met people, only to have that urge be pushed back by my fears. It is a never-ending loop.

Bro you have to fight back against this monster, you can't give in anymore the way you have been. I know it's terrifying, but if you don't do some serious cognitive work and change your behavior, you will live like this forever. That's a sentence you DON'T deserve. How can things get worse than they already are? Are you willing to live like this? Im not willing to live with this disease anylonger. Either it's going to win, or I am going to win.

I wont make this much longer, but I am at one of those cusps in life, I have to pass this college to get a degree or my chances to try again are beyond slim. My family is to poor to help in any aspect there, and they all have their own issues now. I am afraid I will fail, and my ability to care or get motivated isnt really there.

You won't fail. You are going to pass. It feels like you will fail but you will not. Read my posts on GSAD and cbt techniques, they could help.

agoraphobickatie

thanks for sharing, tim... i feel for you, bud =/

welcome to SPW.. as you can see, some people you'll 'meet' around here are a little insensitive, but just know that most people are reading, and are relating to what you have to say.. i hope that you find some good info around here that can help you :) best wishes

Last edited:
Chained! Omg! Just go on a trip to Italy or Greece, find a hot guy, **** him, and come back. Nobody has to know about it, and that way at least you have some kind of experience right? :D :cool:

first of all I am not a whore and second why do u always have to ACT so cool... cuz u fear that u are not, and then u must show the world that u are... dunno... it's kinda obvious... just calm down and be urself! :)

first of all I am not a whore and second why do u always have to ACT so cool... cuz u fear that u are not, and then u must show the world that u are... dunno... it's kinda obvious... just calm down and be urself! :)

That's a low blow considering you know I have Atelophobia :mad:

I know you are not a whore, I was joking with you. You seem like a good girl. Dont you think after talking with you that I am aware of your standards? Do you think I have so little respect and sense that I would just consider you a "whore" without any reason to think that? You are over-reacting. I have a sick sense of humour and I didn't mean to offend you.

Also, I am not acting, this is how I realy am, and I'm not going to change for you, or for anyone else. If there's one thing Ive learned in the last few weeks, its that I can be myself around others and that Im willing for no one to like me at all. I KNOW I'm not cool, are you kidding? I am the most retarded person on this website. You know, a few weeks ago hearing someone say that would have devestated me. But you know what, I don't give a **** now. :D

Im not cool and you shouldnt ever ****ing talk to me again! Im a completely uncool, insensitive, jerk-wad who calls girls whores because he thinks its a joke and it's really not funny at all, what a complete loser! Yes I am a loser, don't talk to me. In fact, don't read this. Just Hate me!

See, so what? :D

Last edited:

agoraphobickatie

Im a completely uncool, insensitive, jerk-wad who calls girls whores because he thinks its a joke

lmao phob-- "Now ladies don't be mad at me, I'm only callin' ya bitches cause I don't know your names individually." -katt williams

haha, that just made me think of that quote, love me some katt williams

That's a low blow considering you know I have Atelophobia :mad:

I know you are not a whore, I was joking with you. You seem like a good girl. Dont you think after talking with you that I am aware of your standards? Do you think I have so little respect and sense that I would just consider you a "whore" without any reason to think that? You are over-reacting. I have a sick sense of humour and I didn't mean to offend you.

Also, I am not acting, this is how I realy am, and I'm not going to change for you, or for anyone else. If there's one thing Ive learned in the last few weeks, its that I can be myself around others and that Im willing for no one to like me at all. I KNOW I'm not cool, are you kidding? I am the most retarded person on this website. You know, a few weeks ago hearing someone say that would have devestated me. But you know what, I don't give a **** now. :D

Im not cool and you shouldnt ever ****ing talk to me again! Im a completely uncool, insensitive, jerk-wad who calls girls whores because he thinks its a joke and it's really not funny at all, what a complete loser! Yes I am a loser, don't talk to me. In fact, don't read this. Just Hate me!

See, so what? :D

hahahahahahahahahaahah lmao.... ahm I don't even know what Atelphobia is, let alone that u have it... and I'm sorry, but if u wanted to joke like that u say it to me.. not on the forum... and I'm glad this happend cuz now I admire u.. not giving a s*** what people think about u... sorry :) I OVER REACTED.. SORRY... was kinda upset, cuz schools tomorrow, gotta see all those people.... and I prefer Italy!!! lol

I am 23 years old.

And thanks to everyone for the responses, I wrote it more as therapy for myself, but it is nice to have support.