MUSIC STUCK IN HEAD ALL DAY?

zeke24

i'm actually unsure as to wether this is directly related to ocd, but i believe it is in part. for years i have had songs stuck in my head nearly all day. i think this is my obsessions and i have spent a very long time in isolation and have had horrible troubles my hole life with abuse, ocd,depression, sp etc. my whole life ive been in fight or flight mode. i think because of my lack of duties or work(i stay home all day and sit around) i continually replay music to keep me busy. i have really bad attention span though. so i was wondering if anyone else had it or had any insight on my situation.

siren_0_0

Don't worry zeke, I'm reviving your thread! hehe
I listen to a lot of music every day as well. Sometimes I listen to the same song over and over again for many days. And the song would get stuck in my head all day and I have to hear it again as soon as I get home. I used to love music before I got OCD as well though and so I pretty much did the same thing when I was a bit younger too. Nowadays, sometimes I hear songs in my dreams. lol it happens when I'm anxious. I usually don't dream or don't remember my dreams when I'm not under stress.
So when I do dream it's because there's something I'm worrying about in real life. I think music has helped me deal with my OCD and depression. I swear Greenday's albums were the only thing that kept me going during my toughest times. lol.

You should be thankful that you have your music. What are your favorite bands? There must be songs that inspire you and help you deal depression and anxiety.

As for the short attention span, I know what you are talking about. Ya, listening to too much music can do that to you. lol but it doesn't mean you need to give it up though. :p

I think I have the same problem with attention as well, it's gotten better now though since I put focus on setting long term goals for my future and treating myself better. I try to face problems head on as much as I can, which helps with improving my attention.

Foxglove

I don't have OCD, but I do get music stuck in my head. It can be a snatch of a song, or an annoying commercial jingle, or whatever, and it keeps going around and around in my head and driving me crazy. Even at night when I can't sleep.

zeke24

thank you for replying.( i was starting to angry lol) I mentioned that this is music in my head even if i didn't listen to music? i believe my mind is so stressed it plays music to try and calm itself. i always am thinking, ALWAYS. whether its music playing or thinking theres mold on my food, or thinking about why things are and how they work. i also talk to myself in the third person, anyone do that? getting kinda scared about it. too much time in isolation will do this tho. im getting better at ending the music or focusing really hard on something else.

siren_0_0

Glad you are getting better at focusing your mind on something other then music. Don't be scared no matter what. There's nothing you can't solve or overcome.

zeke24

thanks a lot musicocd thats definetly what i have. never knew others experienced this to the point that it is diagnoseable and researched. i wonder if embracing would even be bad? should i just go along with it since there seems to be no bad problems from it? and can buzzing or ringing be considered the same thing?

BRG1107

I have the same thing dude. And sometimes I hear a repetitive loop of ONLY the most annoying parts of a song...I try to play the song out but my mind wont let me, it just restarts the loop. Its very annoying, and yes I think it is related to my OCD. On the flip side, I am a musician and have a very good ear and musical memory so im greatful for that. But with OCD, it can become a curse as well.

Musicocd

No problem.

I've been looking into this area and many sources say that listening to actual music whilst having a musical hallucination seems to get rid of it. I've never actually tried it because they do tend to come at inappropriate times, like when I'm in exams or waking me up when I'm asleep!

Singing a long to the music doesn't work for me, but it might for you, so try it and see!

The research is generally be about people with hearing loss, but if you look deep enough you find references to ocd and I think in a few years the area will be more fully researched. I think buzzing and whistling is the same thing, but the whistling could just be tinnitus.

Here's some more stuff about it http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=508

If I don't finish listening to a song all the way then I will have at least a part of it stuck in my head until I listen to it again, finish the song, or sometimes even just listen to other music. Other times it could just be a random song without any real reason for it to be stuck in my head. These songs can get stuck in my head for as long as several weeks before finally going away.

Also it was good to see someone post something about the musical hallucinations. I had never know that they were an official and real thing. I have normal hearing capabilities so I'm not sure if most of the research could/would pertain to me. What happens to me is that I will start hearing a short (like 5 seconds or so) segment of a song start playing in the background. It sounds far away and I will usually strain my ears to try to hear it and to check if it is a real sound. If it is real I will be able to hear it better and not have trouble concentrating on it. They reasons I know that the music is not real are because either a) No one else can hear it b)The segment is only a few seconds long c)There is no music playing or d)The genre of music would make no sense for where I am.

Golden Beam

I'm pretty sure most people get songs stuck in their heads at one time or another. I look at it this way, I can enjoy listening to a song when I'm somewhere I can't listen to my Itunes. The worst is when you get a song stuck in your head that you like but you don't know who sings it. lol