Moving to the City Next Year, Help

21NZ

OK this is my first thread ever! so go easy :)

I'm moving to New Zealand's biggest city next year, which is home to 31 percent of the NZs population! (for a 41 week course i sort of want to do) and it's freaking me out! for the first time ever i'll be living somewhere other then my lovely country home and i'll be thousands of dollars in debt and worst of all in the CITY in a tiny room that much resembles a jail cell! but unlike jail cell, i have to shop and cook for myself which is also rather worrying!

i'll know 2 people there and one of the is my younger brother (who is also going up at the same time). I wont want to fly home much either as i hate small planes :/

I'll miss my family including our animals! Our 2 cats, a dog, 4 Llamas, ducks, sheep, rabbit, gold fish, a donkey, love birds, chickens, 2 alpacas and something else i can't remember...

What can i tell myself to make this seem like a good idea or to make me worry less? and does anyone have any advice about city etc..?

To give you an idea how much of a change this is for me here are some pictures of where i live now,

Home 16/10/2012 - a set on Flickr

And where im going to:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Auckland-CityOfSails2.jpg

Agent_Violet

Big cities are WONDERFUL! :) I find it easiest to fade into the crowd in a big city.Wear what you want without getting weird looks,eat amazing food bc cities always have the most fabulous foods available,go for long walks and people watch bc it's fascinating,you're alone without ever really being alone.

This is so exciting for you! what a wonderful opportunity to experience city life! Don't get me wrong,i love being away from it all but there's something about a big city that pulls me in:)

MNM322

first off.. you have flickr? cool, me too!!! i also hate small planes so i relate to that. you said you "kinda wanna do" the program, thats part of the problem right there. you have to REALLY want to do it, for your outlook on this to change or you will have a hard time adjusting and you will miss your family more than you realize. maybe you should re-think it for now?

personally i love the big cities. i hate small towns. i get too bored... but then again ive never lived in one, only visited. when i go to places like nyc or london, i feel so safe in a weird way. i mean, i am not out there starting convos with random joes but there is so many people there, i feel more safe. its easy to "learn" how to fit in when you follow the crowd.

i hope the best for you in this and wow, tons of animals! jealous.

MikeyC

I could never live in a big city but I think visiting is cool (much like what I do with Sydney).

Auckland seems like a nice city and I hope you do enjoy living there. It's going to be a culture shock but embrace it. :)

WeirdyMcGee

You should do a little research and find animal shelters near where you'll be living.
Any time you're feeling homesick for your family and pets-- visit the shelter.
Feeling homesick for the country-- visit a park.
It can help to take time out away from people or to find new hobbies and things to do in the city.

I always liked the city far more than small towns... mainly because I'm a nightowl and there are 24 hour stores/grocery/breakfast diners in the city-- whereas there probably aren't back home.

I am moving next year too to a bigger city, a place completely different than here and i'm excited about it. I will miss the dogs too, I'll take a lot of pictures and videos of them. Just think about all your new possibilities you're going to have there.

U

user deleted

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to comment that where you live looks AMAZING, and I'm extremely jealous. Especially about the alpacas.

City life is too fast-paced for me to live, though I like to visit cities. One thing you'll have to look forward to though is that there's always something going on. You're more likely to meet people and make friends etc. It will definitely be a life changing experience for you. Best of luck!

MikeyC

City life is too fast-paced for me to live, though I like to visit cities.
This is pretty much how I feel. I visit Sydney every now and again and go there for gigs/events, but I prefer not to live there.

21NZ

i'm sure they wouldn't mind if you kept a llama or two in your room

I'll Ask should i? haha

You should do a little research and find animal shelters near where you'll be living.
Any time you're feeling homesick for your family and pets-- visit the shelter.
Feeling homesick for the country-- visit a park.
It can help to take time out away from people or to find new hobbies and things to do in the city.

I always liked the city far more than small towns... mainly because I'm a nightowl and there are 24 hour stores/grocery/breakfast diners in the city-- whereas there probably aren't back home.

Hmm i know there's a very nice Graveyard in the middle of the city surrounded by shrubs and old oak trees, it's probably alot nicer then the part plus no ones there :) the animal shelters a good idea, i'll will check that out!

What do you call night owl? i go to bed about 3-6 am?

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to comment that where you live looks AMAZING, and I'm extremely jealous. Especially about the alpacas.

City life is too fast-paced for me to live, though I like to visit cities. One thing you'll have to look forward to though is that there's always something going on. You're more likely to meet people and make friends etc. It will definitely be a life changing experience for you. Best of luck!

Your probably right, 1.5 million to meet or so... And thanks for the complement on the property! wish it was more rural tho with far less neighbours !

giantyx

OK this is my first thread ever! so go easy :)

I'm moving to New Zealand's biggest city next year, which is home to 31 percent of the NZs population! (for a 41 week course i sort of want to do) and it's freaking me out! for the first time ever i'll be living somewhere other then my lovely country home and i'll be thousands of dollars in debt and worst of all in the CITY in a tiny room that much resembles a jail cell! but unlike jail cell, i have to shop and cook for myself which is also rather worrying!

i'll know 2 people there and one of the is my younger brother (who is also going up at the same time). I wont want to fly home much either as i hate small planes :/

I'll miss my family including our animals! Our 2 cats, a dog, 4 Llamas, ducks, sheep, rabbit, gold fish, a donkey, love birds, chickens, 2 alpacas and something else i can't remember...

What can i tell myself to make this seem like a good idea or to make me worry less? and does anyone have any advice about city etc..?

To give you an idea how much of a change this is for me here are some pictures of where i live now,

Home 16/10/2012 - a set on Flickr

And where im going to:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Auckland-CityOfSails2.jpg

I wish i could live in a countryhome like yours::(:

Phoenixx

Wow, your countryhome looks nice! :) Reminds me a little of where I live actually, but I'm surrounded by a lot more hills, woods, dirt roads, and your house looks a lot nicer. I live in an old farm house on the outskirts of a very small town. Is a good size, but definitely still needs work.

Before living here I lived in a small city surrounded by bigger cities, Philadelphia being about 2 - 3 hours from where I lived. In the summer the population would surge up to over 100,000, it was a tourist trap. While I loved my childhood, the summers were pretty insane. Even without SA as a kid, I still didn't like all the tourists.

It's a good experience to get "the best of both worlds," what I like to call it. It's a huge difference, trust me. It took me 3 years living where I am now to get used to everything. Don't let that discourage you though, I think this is going to be a wonderful experience for you. Good luck!

WeirdyMcGee

What do you call night owl? i go to bed about 3-6 am?

Yep. You sound like a nightowl. haha

If you're not afraid of exploring, I'm sure you can find alot of places where you can go within the city-- that help you feel calm.
There's plenty of secret places in cities!

xDreamseller

When you get there, spend a few days just walking aimlessly. I did that when I moved to Uni in Belfast (It's still a small city, but it's our capital).

Doing that, you'll come across lots of little places that are awesome! :cool:

laure15

I've lived in several cities before I got tired of them and moved to a suburb. At first, it was exciting to live in the city because I get to visit historical places near downtown, but it gets old. One thing that I don't like about the city is the pollution; when we open the windows to let in fresh air, we get polluted air instead. Sorry I couldn't offer any good advice about moving to cities because cities bring back bad memories for me, but good luck with the move!