Might I ask

Krista

Do any of you find solace in playing instruments? I know many of you are incredible artists, I myself play the piano and it's one thing I can say I do extremely well. My only thing I enjoy about myself. I wanted to continue with the violin because of my fondness for classical pieces...but I'm thinking I'd like to find something new to play. So I'm setting up classes to learn the drums, a kick ass snare drum..hell yes.

Do any of you play instruments?

I mainly play electric guitar, I used to play drums, I play a bit of piano, but my main thing right now is composing (classical music). :)

I have a Yamaha digital piano DGX 530. I've not had much time on it, can't do certain stuff when I'm stressed, and I just forget stuff. The first week I composed my own short 1 minute piece, but I've forgotten the notes - luckily I recorded it onto the memory.

Nack

Banned
I can't afford an instrument as a kid, so the only artistic thing that was available to me was to grab a pencil and draw :\ But I would like to play acoustic guitar. I just love the sound of them.

Krista

I mainly play electric guitar, I used to play drums, I play a bit of piano, but my main thing right now is composing (classical music). :)

Oh that's incredible! I'm in love with classical music, obvious why I got into the piano. The electric guitar and drums! You could certainly be my best friend. How hard was it learning the drums?

I have a Yamaha digital piano DGX 530. I've not had much time on it, can't do certain stuff when I'm stressed, and I just forget stuff. The first week I composed my own short 1 minute piece, but I've forgotten the notes - luckily I recorded it onto the memory.

The same to you as well, I wish I could compose something. Maybe one day you'll write me a piece :rolleyes:?

AimeeSP

Do any of you find solace in playing instruments? I know many of you are incredible artists, I myself play the piano and it's one thing I can say I do extremely well. My only thing I enjoy about myself. I wanted to continue with the violin because of my fondness for classical pieces...but I'm thinking I'd like to find something new to play. So I'm setting up classes to learn the drums, a kick ass snare drum..hell yes.

Do any of you play instruments?

How about if/when you feel confident enough maybe uploading a piano peice from you to share with us? :) it'd be lovely to hear, and could help with your confidence.

I learn bits here and there on the keyboard i have and also on the acoustic guitar. I love it!

Krista

I can't afford an instrument as a kid, so the only artistic thing that was available to me was to grab a pencil and draw :\ But I would like to play acoustic guitar. I just love the sound of them.

I couldn't either, I had to go to a neighbors to learn her piano actually. But I saved my money to buy myself one later on down the road. I've seen your drawings and they're simply beautiful, if you can master the guitar like you could a pencil and paper you'll be set for life. I'll be an avid fan :)

johnny 85

i have an acoustic and electric guitar, but i only play the acoustic. musics my biggest inspiration in life , its only rite i try learn an instrument:) . btw krista, i wood nt fink drums would be to hard to pick up on.

Oh that's incredible! I'm in love with classical music, obvious why I got into the piano. The electric guitar and drums! You could certainly be my best friend. How hard was it learning the drums?

Haha, thanks! Yeah, it's hard to find people who are into classical music when we're bombarded every day with Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga. Ugh. So you're cool. The drums was frustrating cause I just wanted to bang around and sound like Ringo! But I hated doing the boring exercises, so I stopped and switched to electric guitar after watching Hendrix. I can talk about music forever!

The same to you as well, I wish I could compose something. Maybe one day you'll write me a piece :rolleyes:?

Maybe, but I need to get the basics learned first - my first problem was jumping in straight away without knowing anything about piano. I just wanted to have an instrument.

For those who are on Facebook - you can find the piece in my video section.

Pink_Paula

I play the bass guitar, but i haven't picked one up in years! I used to play in a really shizzy band, but at the time i loved it! I sold my guitar a while back and i regret it, hmmmmm i think it's time to buy a new one hehe

Krista

i have an acoustic and electric guitar, but i only play the acoustic. musics my biggest inspiration in life , its only rite i try learn an instrument:) . btw krista, i wood nt fink drums would be to hard to pick up on.

I have a hard time with timing and beats, my math is horrible. In choir I had to hear the music first and memorize the flow and change of things because music notes and reading them were a loss on me. It was extremely difficult getting over it, with lots of patience from my teacher when it came to the piano. But I'm not talking about picking up on the the drums, I want to master them. Have you ever listened to Joey Jordison from Slipknot, he's sick.

Lorraine Manca

dont mean to be negative but...i found no solace!!! i played the violin for a good long time. i was always being pressured to play at events, at church, in groups, everywhere. i have a really hard time saying no to people, but playing in front of an audience is torture!!!
on a happy note, its so much fun to play in large showers (water off, of course!)

Krista

I play the bass guitar, but i haven't picked one up in years! I used to play in a really shizzy band, but at the time i loved it! I sold my guitar a while back and i regret it, hmmmmm i think it's time to buy a new one hehe

Heck yes, I'll learn the drums and you pick up the bass! We'll start a band together Paula!

Krista

dont mean to be negative but...i found no solace!!! i played the violin for a good long time. i was always being pressured to play at events, at church, in groups, everywhere. i have a really hard time saying no to people, but playing in front of an audience is torture!!!
on a happy note, its so much fun to play in large showers (water off, of course!)

Well, you might not have found a certain comfort in it because being pressured to do something with anything you're fond of will turn a positive into a negative. If you obviously still like playing..in the shower :) you must get some enjoyment out of it? And some is better than none.

I am definitely my happiest when I'm playing music. I have played the flute for about 8 years now, and I was in the school band all through elementary and high school (I even did marching band, haha). It was really the only socialization I had throughout school.
Playing the flute is the only thing I have ever felt confident in, even doing solos and things like that weren't even a big deal for some reason.

I also bought an acoustic guitar about 2 years ago, and I've just been teaching myself the basics. I'm not good by any means, but it's sooo much fun to just fool around on it and strum out all my frustrations.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, it's hard to find people who are into classical music when we're bombarded every day with Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga. Ugh. So you're cool. The drums was frustrating cause I just wanted to bang around and sound like Ringo! But I hated doing the boring exercises, so I stopped and switched to electric guitar after watching Hendrix. I can talk about music forever!

And lemme add I played bass in my school's talent show a few times, backing up singers.

AimeeSP

Maybe those who play an instrument, someone can start a thread and people post something they've learnt there? I'd love to do that when i get my lazy bum round to learning a FULL song. :rolleyes:

johnny 85

Maybe those who play an instrument, someone can start a thread and people post something they've learnt there? I'd love to do that when i get my lazy bum round to learning a FULL song. :rolleyes:

im actually thinkin about goin doing dat but i have nt the slighest clue on how to go about recording it.