meetings

eran

hey i was just wandering if anybody has ever been to a meeting and met other sufferers,as i know that in my city of birmingham there is one happening today in a few hours time,yet i know for a fact i wont go.Id be terrified ,i would like to know of any people thinking of going to meetings for thefirst time how they handled it,did you have to have a couple of glasses of dutch courage first?eran

Anonymous

Re: Meets

I have made it along to a couple of the meets in Glasgow and London, arranged through the website www.social-anxiety.org.uk

Not sure if Dutch courage beforehand is necessary - if its a pub meet you wouldn't want to be too many drinks ahead of the others anyway. You could always ask questions to the organiser, for example how many people typically show up etc. so you know what to expect. In some cases it may be possible for you to ask the organiser to turn up a little early to meet just with you, so you don't just pitch up on your own and face a big group of people who already seem to know each other.

It was been very helpful for me, and after the first meet I didn't feel anxious at all since I knew the rest were in the same boat and not "judging" me which is something I worry about with most new people I meet. Good luck :)