March of the Penguins!

LA-girl

I just watched March of the Penguins

Wow, just incredible! It had everything, humour, drama,romance, thriller even horror! Yes , I had to hide behind a pillow a couple of times! LOL!

An amazing story and brilliant "actors"!!
Oh and those cute little penguin babies! Aaaaw!! :D

Trailer

march_penguins.jpg

Have anyone else seen it and what do you think?

Horatio

beautifully shot film in a way only the French or BBC can afford to do on that scale

not surprised you liked it LA Girl, with the christian overtones throughout the film :p

personally I'd like to see an uncut version...

March of the Penguins 2: The Real Story :twisted:

LA-girl

Horatio said:
beautifully shot film in a way only the French or BBC can afford to do on that scale

not surprised you liked it LA Girl, with the christian overtones throughout the film :p

personally I'd like to see an uncut version...

March of the Penguins 2: The Real Story :twisted:

Hmm..it was weird you said that as it clearly was made from an evolutionist point of view. I'm not sure if the english version was different though as I watched the Norwegian version (Close to the french original). I discovered yesterday that all of the music and many of the comments were very different in the "americanized" version. I just can not believe that they would even replace the music, 8O which was so masterly fit and very different from the more traditional "Hollywood" cliche music! :(

Btw, I think they made quite a realistic picture of their brutally tough everyday life...and somehow it made my problems shrink from coconut to peanut size! :)

Predacon

I just don't get all the hype over this movie, from what I've seen of it, it doesn't look much different from any number of documentaries I've seen on TV about Penguins. I know I wouldn't be paying good money to go see it at the movies.

LA-girl

Predacon said:
I just don't get all the hype over this movie, from what I've seen of it, it doesn't look much different from any number of documentaries I've seen on TV about Penguins. I know I wouldn't be paying good money to go see it at the movies.

To tell you the truth I am not the kind of person who love spending much time in front of Discovery channel and I really did not have any expectations that this movie would differ much from the traditional documentaries you see on tv. But I have to say i was pleasently surprised. Contrary to you though, i really wish there would be a second chance to get to spend my money watching this movie on the big screen!

As far as I'm concerned there is an awful lot of regurgitation in the movie-business nowadays and i.m.o this movie was a deliberating fresh "breath of air"! :)

LA-girl

I just discovered that this movie did indeed go through an "americanized" transformation. The original music is performed by a french lady, Emile Simon. It is more in the category of alternative electronic music contrary to the more typically Hollywood string like music the english replaced it with.

Anyway here is one of my favourite songs from the movie.

FROZEN WORLD
CLICK ON: FROZEN WORLD and then: "Listen to Emilie Simon - The Frozen World - Just..." ) This is the only way the link will work...

If that does not work, try this link:
http://www.themuso.co.za/?p=256

Samples from: La Marche De L'Empereur

Emilie%20Simon%203_131.jpg

LA-girl

jinxed said:
cute, I find birds very cute. I haven't watched the movie though. What is it about? sounds like one of the movies I would like.

This might come as a surprise, but the movie is actually about the life of Penguins! Yeah, I bet you wouldn't have guessed that, eh? :)

You can read about it here

This should sum it up pretty well though:
"Documentary filmmaker Luc Jacquet arrestingly tells the story of the painstaking and dangerous journey undertaken yearly by Emperor penguins to and from their ancestral breeding ground."

LA-girl

jinxed said:
Thanks for offering the link LA-girl :D I thought it was going to be like a disney movie, funny w/ action kind of story, was I wrong and it was not like that at all?

No, this is more in the category of a documentary. It is a real story, but is far superiour to most fictious cartoon-like Disney stories i.m.o.

lily

LA-girl said:
I just watched March of the Penguins

Wow, just incredible! It had everything, humour, drama,romance, thriller even horror! Yes , I had to hide behind a pillow a couple of times! LOL!

it sounds like a great movie, glad you enjoyed it. :D

LA-girl

jinxed said:
btw, I've heard a recent movie called "Happy feet" that also has animated penguins, very similarly.
I've never really heard of it and to be quite frank I'm not too happy about the seemingly mass production of animated movies lately. There are a couple of good ones though like Shrek and Ice Age i.m.o, but what I really liked about this film was that it was a real story with real "actors." :) But you know the taste is like the ass, it'is parted....:wink:
(Auch- as you see it is usually not successful to translate a Norwegian expression into english) :lol: