loud...outspoken..annoying....people

maggie

...so there's this dude at work....he drives a truck and delivers to my work 2 or 3 times weekly....he's really loud..outspoken...seems to try to seek me out and notice me....and loudly remark on whatever suits him....just one example.....i am usually on my break in the staff room at the back of the store...trying to eat something...quietly and without being noticed....and while he should be busily unloading his stupid truck..he always seems to angle himself in the back room so he can watch me eat...and remark on whatever it is i'm eating...(or trying to eat 8O )...and he's like...yelling from across the room..."oh...she's eating yoghurt today"...or..."look, she's on break again...what's she eating today?"..then he'll come back and tease me about what i'm eating, or reading....and i never have any clever remarks to throw back at him....i can barely sit there comfortably and finish my break...and if i'm looking all embarassed or blushing...he probably thinks i am flattered or something 8O ..which i'm not....he just makes me feel really uncomfortable...but i'm sure he thinks he's so cool and funny....but i just want to tell him to leave me the fuck alone :evil: ....stupid small shit like eating at work is a major challenge for me....and people like that just make it worse :roll:

dzerklis

maybe he likes you but he can't find a better way to show it? But definately he has problems himself in any case :)

carebear

hey! what's up people,
haven't written in a long time...

I had the same problem. This guy at work was like harassing me. It was soo subtle that I couldn't really press any charges. He would do stuff like constantly stare at me from his cubicle (across from mine) and when he was passing by, sometimes he would just stop and stand by my desk and look at me. I thought I was giving him all the messages to leave me alone but he kept on until one day I asked the manager to move my seat. That very same day I walked passed him and told him not to look at me any more or talk to me. I have no idea if he heard me or not...

We have such a small office, that everyone kinda knew something was up./ All of a sudden, the manager had us switch seats. Then I found out he told the manager that I had a problem with him-he was curious as to why he was moving the seats as well and if it had anything to do with me. The manager lied and said no..thank God. I didn't want him to think I was purposely trying to get away from him because it made me look weak.

Now it seems he has gotten worse. He is purposely doing things to annoy me.
I sometimes wonder if the whole thing was related to my ocd. I have such a problem with people (small things that they do seem to get on my nerves). I have a problem with boys hitting on me and guys in general...

*sighh**
anyone else have the same sorts of problems? :roll:

maggie

hi guys....thanks for your replies...at first, i thought also that he had a crush on me or something....yikes 8O ...but, i think, like you said kandikane..that he's a silly bugger....and just thinks he's entertaining people being such a smartass.....but i'm afraid that he mistakes my uncomfortable silence and blushing as being flattered and somehow enjoying the attention.....and it's hard for me to spit out the words to tell him otherwise :roll:

4myself

UUghh!, carebear and Maggie, these guys sound like jerks!. I dont have any advice for you, sorry, but you have my sympathy.

allanboy

Have you tried talking to him? Have you seen him being like that with anyone else?
I think thats he´s way with women. I know i act different with gals around(not shouting though lol).

MarkyMark

Hi

Just my two cents worth but this guy seems like a jerk. You know, the type who can sense you’re discomfort and lack of assertiveness (sorry but let's be honest, we sufferers are often passive for fear of becoming centre of attention).

My guess is that he see's you as some sort of game. Someone to annoy who will not retaliate. For him a jovial way to pass the hours whilst doing his boring job. He can play cat and mouse games with you whilst at the same time knowingly bring attention your way, heightening your discomfort.

Again, apologies for sounding negative, it's just that I've been there before in the workplace - too many times to count. Some smartass seeks you out because they have noticed that you are quiet, reserverd, perhaps preferring your own company and takes delight in irritating or antagonising you. It’s all a game, a bit like bullying only a lot subtler. In fact the world harassment as Carebear says just about sums it up.

Believe me, even a jerk can sense someone’s discomfort and if they really liked you, the last thing they would want is for you to feel uncomfortable – after all that defeats the object. Shouting out things to you across the room (in earshot of everyone else) is not the actions of someone who fancies you – not even a jerk.

Best bet is just to ignore him as much as possible. I know, easier said than done when you work in close proximity. I’d say just act busy or preoccupied. Answer when you have to, say as little as possible and concentrate on whatever it is you are doing. If you give no response or reaction to his remarks, eventually he will get fed up. A bit like bullies - they get fed up when you do not retaliate.

REMEMBER EVERY TIME YOU STOP TO PAY HIM ATTENTION, YOU GIVE HIM POWER OVER YOU.

Good luck..

maggie

MarkyMark said:
Hi

Just my two cents worth but this guy seems like a jerk. You know, the type who can sense you’re discomfort and lack of assertiveness (sorry but let's be honest, we sufferers are often passive for fear of becoming centre of attention).

My guess is that he see's you as some sort of game. Someone to annoy who will not retaliate. For him a jovial way to pass the hours whilst doing his boring job. He can play cat and mouse games with you whilst at the same time knowingly bring attention your way, heightening your discomfort.

Again, apologies for sounding negative, it's just that I've been there before in the workplace - too many times to count. Some smartass seeks you out because they have noticed that you are quiet, reserverd, perhaps preferring your own company and takes delight in irritating or antagonising you. It’s all a game, a bit like bullying only a lot subtler. In fact the world harassment as Carebear says just about sums it up.

Believe me, even a jerk can sense someone’s discomfort and if they really liked you, the last thing they would want is for you to feel uncomfortable – after all that defeats the object. Shouting out things to you across the room (in earshot of everyone else) is not the actions of someone who fancies you – not even a jerk.

Best bet is just to ignore him as much as possible. I know, easier said than done when you work in close proximity. I’d say just act busy or preoccupied. Answer when you have to, say as little as possible and concentrate on whatever it is you are doing. If you give no response or reaction to his remarks, eventually he will get fed up. A bit like bullies - they get fed up when you do not retaliate.

Good luck..
thanks MarkyMark....it feels like what you say....like this guy is kinda bullying me in a subtle kinda way...and knows i'm a good target......thanks for the advice...i will try to put it to use tomorrow at work

maggie

MarkyMark said:
Hi

Good luck..
thanks MarkyMark....it feels like what you say....like this guy is kinda bullying me in a subtle kinda way...and knows i'm a good target......thanks for the advice...i will try to put it to use tomorrow at work

Scottish_Player

Not sure? maybe you double clicked it when you pressed to post it?

It nothing to be ashamed of if you are on the vodka :lol:

B

Some guys just always need to be 'on'. Center of attention or whatever. I'm lucky (is that the word Im looking for?) to work with some cynical people, and when we get delivery guys like that passing through we just laugh at them. So do the girls they hit on. The way they hit on them sounds like what the guy was doing with you, maggie.