Losing a pet/best friend

MollyBeGood

Any advise on losing your best friend? My dog is showing signs of being close to the end. He is a better person than anyone i have ever known. How did you deal with losing a pet that was more than just a pet? I think I might die of sadness when he goes. I am so scared. I don't think I will ever get another dog after this one. He is one in a million.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Aww Molly.. :(

Some years ago I bought a little Rottweiler pup and raised him until about 2 years of age.
One day he became sick, I took him to the vet who told me he had a heart defect. I had to get him put down. I said goodbye to him, went home and cried like a little boy..

A few years later I had another large dog for about 5 years. He ended up with brain cancer and he died in my arms on the vet's table.. Just before he died, he stuck his nose into my hand, licked me, then he died.. I was a mess.. I haven't cried like that for years..

There is nothing that will make the sadness pass faster or make it easier when he does move on. But you can take comfort in knowing you have given him a good life. You are his best companion.
One day you may even form a bond with another furry friend. It won't erode the love or memories you have for your current one.
I hope when his end does come for him it's peaceful. Death is part of life, the wheel turns..

Kiwong

I am sorry to hear that Molly, I understand how close you are to your furry friend. I know if I lost my Lenny friend I would be devastated. I do think about it a lot, my bird is 10 years old now, she makes sense to me, when people don't. I fear losing her, she's my best mate ever, I suspect it is the same for you with your dog. So I can emphasize.

For now I guess you've just got to enjoy every moment with your furry friend and be thankful of the time you do get with him. Everyday I wake up and get to spend with my Lenny is a bonus. It is like losing human loved ones, maybe even worse, because of the closeness and unconditional love we share with pets. You have to grieve, and it takes time to move on from it. But the depth of grieving is also an acknowledgement of the love you have for your friend.

And then you have memories of a living being that joins that special place in your heart of those we have loved, and will never forget.

I plan on getting a little memorial done for Lenny, so I can remember her, I will keep some of her feathers. I am not religious, but in this case I wish there was a life after death, so we could be reunited with all those we loved in life.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I'm really sorry to hear that, Molly. :sad: I'm sorry I don't really have any advice other than the old, "Time heals all wounds."

It's been almost 10 years now since I lost one of my best friends. He was the best dog I ever had, and I only had him for 6 months when he died, he was only a year old I think, maybe older. But those were the best 6 months I ever had of my pre-teen/teenage years with him. During that moment in life, I was pretty depressed. I was dealing with a lot at home and at school. My parents didn't know how bad I felt, but this stray dog (lab/border collie mix I believe) that showed up on our doorstep randomly on a July summer day knew. The first day I met him I instantly felt a connection somehow, and I think he did too. I worked hard to train him and he was with me all the time. At night, when I was sad and feeling depressed, he would come into my room, sit next to the bed, and stare at me, almost like asking me if I was okay. I would pet him, and he'd curl up on the rug right next to my bed until I fell asleep, then he would leave.

He died on a Thanksgiving weekend. Worst holiday ever. I couldn't rush him to the vet for an emergency, since it was the holidays. Everything was closed. The following Monday I was going to take him in, but he had died during the night. He suddenly had gotten sick that weekend, wouldn't eat or drink, we had no idea what was wrong. It wasn't until a family member told us they had recently put their dog down due to similar symptoms, which was caused by a piece of something (don't remember what it was) lodged in the intestines, leading to a twisted stomach. My dog had a chewing problem, loved to play with rocks too. So I truly believe he died of a twisted stomach, must've ate something he wasn't supposed to. His chewing was the only thing I couldn't curb.

I still cry sometimes thinking about him, but I don't feel as sad as I used to. At least I can talk about him now without bawling, heh. I don't think I'll ever have another dog like him. He was too special. I'm at least thankful for having gotten to know him and such a wonderful pet he was.

Hoppy

My Labrador was my constant companion for 14 years. She went to work with me, the passenger seat in the car was hers. Other people had to sit in the back.

She got ill one day and died that night. It was bad. I always remember the good parts. I have to keep reminding myself that she was deaf by the end and for the last few months I had to pick her up from the floor because she couldn't stand up herself. They get old, and we miss them.

This one made me cry the first time.

1621787_1626567444057820_1433853407_n1.jpg

dannyboy65

My pet cat holds a special place in my heart. I know that he will die someday and I won't have him and it hurts knowing he won't always be my companion. So every chance I get I spend with him.

MollyBeGood

This thread is my most favorite I have ever had here. Seriously, thank you all soo much for sharing your stories and please keep them coming!

I get chocked up when I read your posts but they are so helpful. Thank you so much!!

Love ya!

LoyalXenite

Losing a pet is always hard. One thing I found helped is having them cremated, I had my cat for 21 years and losing her was horrible. But having her cremated helps keep her with me in a sense. If I owned my home and wasn't renting I would also have memorial plaques in a nice garden bed.

While you may not want to own another dog again, if you did miss having dog(s) around or just in your day to day life, a way you could still have dogs in your life would be to foster them. That way you get to have a dog around still, and you are helping to save them, helping them to find forever homes. Its hard to foster, because is does take an emotional toll. But I find it the good outweighs the difficulties.

Attachments

• 10502011_10152250574035745_4548828735341556197_n.jpg
    10502011_10152250574035745_4548828735341556197_n.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

MollyBeGood

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through that, MollyBeGood. I’m afraid I don’t have any advice which will make it better or easier. As hard as it is, try to take comfort in the fact that you have given him the best life you possibly could and know that he loves you for it. Without you, he may not have had such a good life. Try to cherish each day you have with him. If he’s able, try spending more time doing what he loves or give him his favorite treats.

I too, once had a dog that seemed to be more than a dog. I adored her. She was my best friend through my teenage years and early 20s. I could never have asked for a better pet. She was a pit bull, (which most people seem to be horribly afraid of) but she was the sweetest dog I had ever met. When she finally died of heart failure I honestly thought losing her would kill me. But I got through it and ended up adopting another dog in her memory a few months later. The next dog had a crooked leg and a heart defect and ended up dying of renal failure at only 4 years old.

Again, I rescued another dog in memory of him which is the dog I have now. This dog has been abused, starved, has unpredictable neurological issues, and a whole list of other oddities. He’s been prescribed medications but no vet really seems to know what’s wrong with him. I have to live each day as if it’s his last, because it very well could be. Each new day he’s alive is a small miracle in my opinion. He still runs, plays and loves going on car rides and walks. To look at him, you probably wouldn’t ever know anything was wrong with him. But I know his time is short and it’s going to be a nightmare when I have to let him go. I dread it everyday. I suppose this is what I get for adopting a disabled dog, but I would adopt him all over again if it meant giving him a happy life. The good has far outweighed the bad!

You are a doggie angel! Thank you for this post. I just saw it now. People like you are so special, I admire your heart so much. If the world had more people like you, CastleRose, it would such a better place.
Do you have a pic to share of your rescue buddy?

You guys are the best with your stories. They help so much. Keep them coming, please <3

planemo

It's been a tough few months for me, since I lost both my parrots. One flew away about a couple of months ago and the other one died a few days ago. She was depressed when the first one flew away, so her behaviour had changed, but it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with her. I couldn't contain the tears on both occasions. She's the first pet I've had to bury, and it felt like losing a child.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

Planemo, I am so sorry for the loss of both of your dear friends. That made me so sad reading your post.
That is really awful.
*hugs*
I can only imagine how hard that is for you.

The first ones are always the hardest.

I hope you feel better soon.

Kiwong

Is your dog doing any better now, Molly?

It's been a tough few months for me, since I lost both my parrots. One flew away about a couple of months ago and the other one died a few days ago. She was depressed when the first one flew away, so her behaviour had changed, but it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with her. I couldn't contain the tears on both occasions. She's the first pet I've had to bury, and it felt like losing a child.

That's so sad Planemo, I am so sorry. Pets are like family, we get so close to them. It is like losing a family member, your grief is understandable. The unconditional love of pets softens the edges of the world for us.

Louco

My dog that grew up with me when I was a teenager, the hardest days of my life, died some years ago, but I don't think I could say I lost him. He lives within me, he made me who I am and will be part of me for the rest of my days. He taught me so much, he was there giving me unconditional love when my world was only suffering, violence and loneliness. We went through all together, we were happy, and we were sad, and we were neglected, and we found our way, and we were sick, and there were no one for us but each other, and we were messed up, and against all odds we made it.

When he was suddenly found dead, lying peacefully in the grass as if he were just sleeping, I didn't cry, because I was so proud of him. He almost died tragically so many times before, from horrible diseases and terrible accidents, like when the neighbor's rottweiler invaded our courtyard through a hole the beast made on the wall and left him badly hurt in a pool of blood, I would only be able to find him and take him to the vet several hours later after work, because my family is less human than him and thought he was already dead without checking, leaving the body for me to find and dispose of. Yes, I could only feel proud and grateful for him being strong and being there for me through it all, passing away when I was already an adult, mature enough to deal with the death of a huge part of my life.

Anyway Molly, there are tear in my eyes as I remember him but also a smile in my face, because we won! We made it and grew up because we were together, and everything he gave me, his love, his loyalty, everything, I feel as being part of me to this day, and it will be forever.

So enjoy life with your friend and don't think about his death, when that day comes it will only mean he is moving to your heart. :)

-----------------------

Edit: I didn't see this thread was from over a year ago... I don't feel like deleting my post though...

Last edited:

Cetnien

My Cat pepper is like my best bud. One time when I went away for 6 weeks on a trip, he literately left my house to go search for me! After about a month with him not around when I came back; he meowed at my window around 2am in the morning one night.

He was sooo mad and I was crying with joy and sadness, saying sorry to him over and over again and boy did he meow at me like never before...

I enjoy every waking moment with him that I got in this world. He is one special cat.
Molly, I'm sure you had wonderful memories with your best pal too!

Animals are interesting creatures, the more you love them the more they will love you!
And remember that they will always be with you; in your heart :) Like Louco said