Loneliness

coyote

very interesting

seems to fit with much of what i have seen here on this forum

i scored 31 on the quiz

Odo

Banned

It's kind of a dumb test though because you can pretty much tell where things are headed from the getgo...

And I definitely disagree that less lonely people think more clearly... maybe in a social situation this would be true, but in general I would find this pretty hard to accept.

And if someone is less willing to appease their peers with unrealistically upbeat feedback, then their advice is less likely to be accepted by someone who is annoyed by the idea that things might be anything less-than-rosy. Part of why people are so willing to participate in destructive activities is because they're impervious to valid criticisms because they need to shelter their egos, and can always find lots of happy feelings to reinforce their ridiculous worldview among the idiotic masses.

If your friends are dumb then they're probably going to make you dumb, so in that case you would be better off on your own.

I'm curious how they've managed to quantify loneliness. EG: "An average amount of loneliness". I think of loneliness as a lack of social interaction not something you can measure.

I scored a 30.

I got 38 :sad:. Never used to be this bad, so i don't understand what's going on here. Perhaps it's a sign telling me i need to get a healthier (or healthy) lifestyle?. I guess there's only so much denial, repression, diversions, comforts, etc that one can do ... before the shite REALLY hits the fan...

Entangled

There's a loneliness scale!? Intresting...

Well I got a 33. I'm in a rut right now, I wish my friends would talk to me. Why do I always have to initiate conversation with them first instead of the other way around?

Quirk87

Banned
Whilst the main points of the article is true, it must not be dismissed that those who do feel unhappy require understanding of why they feel that way in order assist them to break their cycle of loneliness, people who are unhappy/lonely require positive intervention without making them feel guilty about their personal emotions. Resentment towards those who are happy from those who are unhappy are a product of varying multiple factors in that persons life, and it may be difficult for them to see on their own how their thinking and behaviour is perhaps perpetuating their own loneliness.

MikeyC

I scored 29, but I'm taking nothing out of that because it's a quick, generalised quiz.

Kiwong

I think anxiety makes people fear rejection and keeps them alone. Loneliness is an outcome not the cause of anxiety. The distorted thinking and behaviour is caused by the damage done during a life, and loneliness can be the result of that.

Livemylife

“When people feel lonely they are actually far less accepting of potential new friends than when they are socially contented.”
...Well people who are 'socially contented' don't seem very open to new friends because they already have some.

jaim38

“When people feel lonely they are actually far less accepting of potential new friends than when they are socially contented.”
...Well people who are 'socially contented' don't seem very open to new friends because they already have some.

Exactly. The 'socially contented' people I see are not open to new friendships. It's hard to 'break' into their groups and try to socialize with them. Sometimes I encounter dislike from these people because they think I'm trying to steal their friends or somethin'. It is my experience that people who are lonely and desperate for friends are the ones who are nicest.