Linux Distros

S_Spartan

There was some Linux talk here recently.

I haven't run Linux in two years but I'm bored with Windows 8 and am thinking of switching back over.

Just curious which Linux distros you guys use?

Two years ago I had settled on Xubuntu for it's simplicity.

Also I run Android inside of Virtualbox in Windows so I can use a couple of apps. Anyone have any issues running Virtualbox in Linux(with Linux as host)?

Or better yet, is there a way to run Android apps in Linux without using an emulator? :thinking:

Last edited:
I've been running Fedora recently. I try to avoid anything based on Ubuntu (don't like how Canonical does things), but I think Linux Mint is a good way to go.

I've never had a problem running VirtualBox in Linux, but it's been a number of years since I used it (I use KVM + QEMU now, because free software).

I think there's a way to run Android apps in Chrome.

Argentum

I've tried Korora, Peppermint, and Fedora, and am sticking with Fedora for the time being. It's only been a month or so, but I already hiss a little inside when faced with Windows 8 again. Awkward flailing at the keyboard ensues.

S_Spartan

I've been running Fedora recently. I try to avoid anything based on Ubuntu (don't like how Canonical does things), but I think Linux Mint is a good way to go.

I've never had a problem running VirtualBox in Linux, but it's been a number of years since I used it (I use KVM + QEMU now, because free software).

I think there's a way to run Android apps in Chrome.
Ah man! I forgot about Mint! I'm glad you mentioned that one. I used that quite a bit in the past.

I tried the Chrome Arc Welder plugin the other day but it wouldn't load any apps...

S_Spartan

I've tried Korora, Peppermint, and Fedora, and am sticking with Fedora for the time being. It's only been a month or so, but I already hiss a little inside when faced with Windows 8 again. Awkward flailing at the keyboard ensues.
Fedora is Red Hat, right? Haven't used that in years. What's the things you like about it most?

Windows 8 is very stable but an awful GUI. But I have to support it in the field so I bought it and lived with it and now I don't want to live with it anymore. Lol.

Argentum

Fedora is Red Hat, right? Haven't used that in years. What's the things you like about it most?

Windows 8 is very stable but an awful GUI. But I have to support it in the field so I bought it and lived with it and now I don't want to live with it anymore. Lol.

It's not Windows, and it's not PowerShell. My problems are more sensible and the community more able to provide assistance both in fixing and in understanding the source of the problem. I don't have many distros to compare to at this point.

I've only converted to Linux in the past few months after completely losing my mind and jumping ship for something more intuitive. I'm still fumbling around and finding things more complicated than Wine.

GNOME is also a thousand times better. Windows 8 splashes an ugly, distracting screen of solid color across my monitor whenever I need to poke around, but GNOME (the default on Fedora right now) has an unobtrusive semi-transparent screen overlaid across my desktop with my open windows/results.

My wallpaper is incredibly distracting right now, but I assure you that is my fault because I love Space Dandy and I needed it. GNOME:

CMqOrx.jpg

Windows 8:

jy6YJY.jpg

Oh, sorry. I actually just used the fill tool in GIMP for that last one. I doubt it makes a difference, though.

Last edited:

S_Spartan

It's not Windows, and it's not PowerShell. My problems are more sensible and the community more able to provide assistance both in fixing and in understanding the source of the problem. I don't have many distros to compare to at this point.

I've only converted to Linux in the past few months after completely losing my mind and jumping ship for something more intuitive. I'm still fumbling around and finding things more complicated than Wine.

GNOME is also a thousand times better. Windows 8 splashes an ugly, distracting screen of solid color across my monitor whenever I need to poke around, but GNOME (the default on Fedora right now) has an unobtrusive semi-transparent screen overlaid across my desktop with my open windows/results.

My wallpaper is incredibly distracting right now, but I assure you that is my fault because I love Space Dandy and I needed it. GNOME:

CMqOrx.jpg

Windows 8:

jy6YJY.jpg

Oh, sorry. I actually just used the fill tool in GIMP for that last one. I doubt it makes a difference, though.
I know what you mean. Windows 8 is very clunky.

I agree about the Linux community being very helpful.

warcraft

GNOME? The newest version is just like Windows, awful.

I was using Debian Stable for a long time but switched back to Windows 8.1. Just updating takes forever....updates in Debian takes half a second.

Argentum

GNOME? The newest version is just like Windows, awful.

I was using Debian Stable for a long time but switched back to Windows 8.1. Just updating takes forever....updates in Debian takes half a second.

We can't all just use a terminal, grandpa. Take your medicine. It comes in suppository form now.

warcraft

I still use a "sensible" GUI like Fluxbox. Once you setup key bindings, a terminal can be faster than a GUI for most things.

Last time I used GNOME (1.0), I had to goto System preferences, updates, and then click update. I'd just rather just type aptitude full-upgrade.

Argentum

I still use a "sensible" GUI like Fluxbox. Once you setup key bindings, a terminal can be faster than a GUI for most things.

Last time I used GNOME (1.0), I had to goto System preferences, updates, and then click update. I'd just rather just type aptitude full-upgrade.

Why is sensible in quotes?

I'm using GNOME 3. I don't have a lot to compare to at this point, but I find my way around very quickly as it is. I can appreciate taking the quicker route, though.

I also tried Lynx today.

S_Spartan

You guys may be on to something here. How long can a modern person go solely in the terminal?

Would be an interesting experiment...hmmm

Lynx for browsing, Pine for email, emacs for editing or is it Vi?

Thats going back a loooong time for me.

warcraft

A "sensible" GUI is where form follows function. Also, GNOME just installs too many widgets and has many many dependencies. I don't need a network manager, I got ifdown/ifup/ifconfig. I don't need a firewall, I got iptables etc etc.

I use the terminal (with nano) to modify config files and run maintenance tasks. It takes too long with a GUI.

The only GUI programs I got installed are firefox, monodevelop, and geany. Maybe VLC but it has a CLI version.

Argentum

You guys may be on to something here. How long can a modern person go solely in the terminal?

Would be an interesting experiment...hmmm

Lynx for browsing, Pine for email, emacs for editing or is it Vi?

Thats going back a loooong time for me.

It's not a question of how long can you remain in the terminal, but of whether or not the saintly light of a GUI will burn your retinas and drive you to madness when you come back out.

A "sensible" GUI is where form follows function. Also, GNOME just installs too many widgets and has many many dependencies. I don't need a network manager, I got ifdown/ifup/ifconfig. I don't need a firewall, I got iptables etc etc.

I use the terminal (with nano) to modify config files and run maintenance tasks. It takes too long with a GUI.

The only GUI programs I got installed are firefox, monodevelop, and geany. Maybe VLC but it has a CLI version.

No vidyagaems?

warcraft

I played League of Legends in a VM but VMWare had an issue over wifi and I refuse to install VirtualBox cause of Java (virus). That's why I switched back to Windows but the day they have a linux client out, I'm switching back.

Also, none of the audio services (like spotify) work due to no flash (virus). Windows automatically comes with the virus installed :)

Argentum

I played League of Legends in a VM but VMWare had an issue over wifi and I refuse to install VirtualBox cause of Java (virus). That's why I switched back to Windows but the day they have a linux client out, I'm switching back.

Also, none of the audio services (like spotify) work due to no flash (virus). Windows automatically comes with the virus installed :)

Windows spoils you. How can we compete? :sad:

warcraft

Windows spoils you. How can we compete? :sad:

We cannot compete. Let anyone who wants to use giant "dumbed down" smartphone, use Windows. The real power users can use Linux.

Too many Linux distros and programs are trying to be like Windows. Whatever happened to portable programs with very few dependencies that run fast.

Just look at firefox, the new version comes with DRM and is very bloated.