Just Found Out I Suffer from Social Anxiety

black-wings

So, about a few months ago, I discovered what Social Anxiety Disorder is. I did my research and discovered what it was. I told my folks, friends and even a school counselor. They seem to think that this is nothing serious. But the truth of the matter is that its affecting my relationships with them, with meeting new people and starting new relationships.

Anyways, sorry for the sob story guys :) Its just Im ready to get over this because meeting new people, going into social situations and stuff like that has been a challenge over the past few years. Im studying to be a lawyer and talking with people is a must in that field. Plus it would just be nice to just meet new folks. Any advice?

BlackKids

Never stop trying dude. I've pretty much overcome my anxiety and although in theory its easy you have to be prepaired to put the effort in.
For me i'd say it was exercise that made the biggest difference. Improve your confidence, self esteem etc etc etc. Lots of good advice on here so all the best to you.

market.garden

Well you're taking a good step by wanting to beat your SA to begin with. It can be easy to just give up and accept it.

If it's worrying you and the people you've told don't think it's serious, I'd try to make them understand that its not something to be taken lightly, then see what help is available in your area.

Don't apologise for sob stories, people are always happy to help others and give any advice they can on this forum :)

black-wings

Never stop trying dude. I've pretty much overcome my anxiety and although in theory its easy you have to be prepaired to put the effort in.
For me i'd say it was exercise that made the biggest difference. Improve your confidence, self esteem etc etc etc. Lots of good advice on here so all the best to you.

Yeah! You guys are right. I met some pretty awesome people on here so far and working out does help. It takes a lot of the stress off. :)

Marletta

Great advice. I have read several books on various social interactions, self help, etc and it all boiled down to the individual improving themselves physically first, which built up their self-confidence and then it just seemed to snowball after that. I myself am starting a diet and exercise regimen. I am just focusing on that and nothing else. That is my biggest gripe about me.
When you feel good about yourself, you stop becoming self-conscious and start living.