IT Help Desk Jobs

Choose your poison~

• I stayed in the IT department and handled calls from outside the building

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had to leave the department to help other workers with computers

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I worked at home and helped people all around the world

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I did this job in one of those settings, but couldn't handle it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all, I am curious about this kind of job. Of course it's not for everyone, especially for those going through SA, but basically if you can get used to it, it could be a great job.

I am just curious, and this is the main reason I started this thread, is if anyone that's already been working this job has worked in an environment where you have to leave your IT department to another part of the building to help other workers with their computers?. I don't know why but, that sounds nerve racking to me, anyways, answer the poll or just reply, thanks.

I just can't find myself doing any other job than this, i pretty much know alot about computers already, and I am always helping family and friends with that stuff. I am good at figuring stuff out with computers.

Section_31

IT helpdesk is my day to day :).

90% of it is people call in and I work on systems remotely, all over Canada. However, there are people in the building im in, and sometimes its required that i physically go to their desks and do whatevers needed if their machine wont go on the network, or something along those lines. It was nerve wracking when i first started 5 yrs ago, but really after you get to know people it DOES get easier. You discover what goes wrong typically on most peoples machines, and ive found a lot of the times its operator error haha, or PLBKAC error ;) (problem lies between keyboard and chair).

You'll find though there are people who have a sense of entitlement, and that can be quite annoying to deal with. If anything i find the workload at times can be overwhelming, but that's the primary source of my stress. At least theres job security!

voodoochild16

IT helpdesk is my day to day :).

90% of it is people call in and I work on systems remotely, all over Canada. However, there are people in the building im in, and sometimes its required that i physically go to their desks and do whatevers needed if their machine wont go on the network, or something along those lines. It was nerve wracking when i first started 5 yrs ago, but really after you get to know people it DOES get easier. You discover what goes wrong typically on most peoples machines, and ive found a lot of the times its operator error haha, or PLBKAC error ;) (problem lies between keyboard and chair).

You'll find though there are people who have a sense of entitlement, and that can be quite annoying to deal with. If anything i find the workload at times can be overwhelming, but that's the primary source of my stress. At least theres job security!

Thanks that is very good to know!, thank you. I have some more questions which I pm'd you, but incase you miss that or if anyone else can answer these questions, then great!, and thanks in advance!.

Here is my question:

-Do you need to sound like a professional outgoing person for these jobs?.
I myself think that since I've talked with Punkabi tech support people that it really depends on the company?. (or other support people with accents that are hard to understand)