Is it weird that I have no hobbies?

jryden

There are a few things i am interested in but my lack of talent in them drives me away from doing them.

I've been asked what are my hobbies before and now I've learned to make things up but I remember this one time my moms friend asked me and i said nothing. She kept repeating the question saying if you could do something everyday and get paid, what would it be and i said nothing. lol Back then I didnt even realize it would be weird to say that. And I was depressed/suicidal so I didnt care about anything (still in that phase :( )

laure15

Don't worry, I also feel weird when people ask me about my hobbies. My "hobbies" consist of web surfing, going to online support forums (SPW included), exercising and watching tv; I'm not sure if those are considered "hobbies," but I would feel very awkward if I tell this to other people.

whatsoever

I think it's normal, most of the people who I know, have no hobbies... if it goes about me I enjoy watching films and reading books but no passion ;)

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't think so. Some relatives of mine don't have hobbies. I don't think everyone has to have one.

jryden

Don't worry, I also feel weird when people ask me about my hobbies. My "hobbies" consist of web surfing, going to online support forums (SPW included), exercising and watching tv; I'm not sure if those are considered "hobbies," but I would feel very awkward if I tell this to other people.

I would say exercising is a hobby. I do it too. Now I do hate some activities but I've grown to like/love others.

LifeInternal88

Try a few different things, see what you like :)

About the talent comment; a lot of talented people practice a lot more than the so called untalented. You might just need to practice longer before you start enjoying whatever it is you want to do.

xDreamseller

I don't have a hobby either. Nothing really holds my interest for long, which is a shame, as I had quite a talent for tennis when I was young. My parents had me training 3-4 days a week when I was about 6, so I was in a perfect position to do pretty well at it.

Unfortunately I got bored after a few months and quit. Now I'm almost 20, I wish I'd stuck with it. Now I know tennis players are quite attractive to women. :)

HappySquidward

i dont know if you like anime or not, but i just started to collect anime figures as a hobby.

I'm not a big fan of anime, but I do like collectable figures (usually game related stuff).
One of my hobbies is building and painting gundam models, but I never talk about it because people might think I'm weird for playing with "toys". I don't have any great skills, but hobbies are just for fun. Something as simple as watching tv or playing video games can be considered as a hobby.

Helmaninquiel

Yeah it's probably because you are depressed. When I didn't have a mental illness I loved everything, painting, reading, drawing etc.. But when I started getting more anxiety ridden and more depressed each year I slowly lost all interest in most thing and started focusing on my deluded thoughts. lol and now I try and focus on ways to make myself feel more important, because people seem to take that away from you. although I never lost myself completely, I still believe you should be a good person, and I love everything Japanese, anime, food, music, culture, drama's. still have that.

dottie

yes, it's weird. there are so many amazing things to do in this world and you can't find one that brings you joy? i don't think that it's depression. depression let's up, even if only once in a blue moon... if you have made it this far in life you had to have been exposed to something that has given you a glimmer of joy. maybe you are too engulfed in depression to seek out doing it... lacking motivation... it happens. but even if a hobby sits on the back burner for awhile it's still there.

i urge you to seek out hobbies... do you have any skills? interests? do you enjoy being indoors or outdoors? do you enjoy being competitive or noncompetitive?

jryden

Yeah it's probably because you are depressed. When I didn't have a mental illness I loved everything, painting, reading, drawing etc.. But when I started getting more anxiety ridden and more depressed each year I slowly lost all interest in most thing and started focusing on my deluded thoughts. lol and now I try and focus on ways to make myself feel more important, because people seem to take that away from you. although I never lost myself completely, I still believe you should be a good person, and I love everything Japanese, anime, food, music, culture, drama's. still have that.

I do think its depression. Its made me not care anymore. When I was asked that, I didnt know about SA and didnt know much about depression. I didnt realize that they are probably think i am depressed based on my answer. I was young. Now I would make things up just so i dont give off the depression vibe.

jryden

yes, it's weird. there are so many amazing things to do in this world and you can't find one that brings you joy? i don't think that it's depression. depression let's up, even if only once in a blue moon... if you have made it this far in life you had to have been exposed to something that has given you a glimmer of joy. maybe you are too engulfed in depression to seek out doing it... lacking motivation... it happens. but even if a hobby sits on the back burner for awhile it's still there.

i urge you to seek out hobbies... do you have any skills? interests? do you enjoy being indoors or outdoors? do you enjoy being competitive or noncompetitive?

I'm very indecisive. Its very annoying to have a conversation with me. Why do I say that-if you ask me do you like indoors/outdoors, i cant give you a y/n answer. I like the indoors sometimes, outdoors other times. Most things I kind of like i go back and forth with whether i like them or not.

There is ONE thing i like more than everything else. Like on a scale of 1-10 if 10 is pure passion, I like it at like 3 lol. Thats high for me. I am not good at it though so its depressing to even work on it.

21NZ

Buy a camera and take photos :p even a cheap film one! you can't tell me your not talented enough to press a button :p this could be seen as slightly sexist and it's by no means intended that way, i really want too aswell, what about taking up baking? you could even sell the baked goods or run your own catering business? kill two birds with one stone... i actually really hate that saying but can't think of another to take it's place.

21NZ

I do think its depression. Its made me not care anymore. When I was asked that, I didnt know about SA and didnt know much about depression. I didnt realize that they are probably think i am depressed based on my answer. I was young. Now I would make things up just so i dont give off the depression vibe.

I wouldn't bother lying about how you feel, it could make things worst. people won't see that your feeling down and won't try to cheer you up or leave you be.

I did write a massive thing about myself here to show my point but deleted it. i started lying to everyone when i was young about how i feel, now i struggle to say anything that could be viewed as negative, even online about myself. As far as everyone outside of my family is concerned i'm a totally care free normal guy.

If you have depression and anxiety you'll either feel Depressed or Anxious since physiologically speaking you can't feel both at the same time.

So either numb/don't care or Scared/Anxious you can't win either way! SO all i can say is welcome to thee club, my dear. there is some middle ground and getting there can be troublesome but hobby's, (managed to bring it back on to topic :p) reading, music, tv, etc.. can really help