Is Anyone Here Deaf?

mismeek

I have to interview a deaf person for my Deaf Cultures class. Since I have issues interacting with people I thought I would check and see if anyone here was deaf. Its a short interview, about 20 questions. No weird off the wall questions either? I just ask you where you went to school, How do yo feel about speech therapy etc.

Thank you!

sophia

mismeek

lol its cool, I'm getting a BA Communication Sciences and Disorders then going to grad school and getting my masters in Speech Pathology so I can become a speech language pathologist. :)

coyote

My brother is deaf.

Eye contact, speak clearly and enunciate - so they can read your lips and facial expressions.

Only 3% of interpersonal communication is verbal - 97% is gesture, body language, etc. - that's true even of the hearing world.

Don't be afraid to write things down that are important. Ask them to write it out if you don't understand.

Just think of it this way - the hearing impaired speak a different language.

They do - literally - it's called ALS (American Sign Language)

How would you communicate with someone who speaks a foreign language that you don't know?

Same thing.

coyote

I'm sorry - i just reread your original post - you're looking for someone to interview, not how to interview someone - never mind.

Good luck! sounds cool.

Emily_G

lol its cool, I'm getting a BA Communication Sciences and Disorders then going to grad school and getting my masters in Speech Pathology so I can become a speech language pathologist. :)

Cool. I got my BA in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. :)