Interview...

princess_haru

I have a job interview tomorrow and I'm REALLY not looking forward to it *sigh*

It'll be my second one this week, and the last one didn't go very well because I didn't know what to say or how to answer the questions. To make things worse, the one tomorrow will be with two people at once, so while I'm answering them I'll have two sets of eyes on me. According to the job agency, they hire based mostly on personality. Great; yet another company looking for outgoing team members who enjoy talking to people all day long...

Oh well, better go wash my hair so I don't have to get up at stupid-o'clock tomorrow to do it!

Wish me luck, please guys ::eek::

princess_haru

Hi Molotov, thanks for the good luck :) I've just got back from the interview and I'm not sure how it went, but you were right that it was easier in a way to have two people to look at rather than one. I feel awkward with eye contact most of the time, so being able to switch from person to person means I don't get that "am I staring too much? Or not looking at them enough?!" panicky thing as much. I'll hear back later whether I got it, but my pessimistic side just wants to curl up under the duvet and sleep the rest of the day away :(

Beyondshy

Chocolate is always a good idea! :)
I love the doors by the way! I'm going to have people are strange stuck in my head all day now!

TheNewZero

Hi Molotov, thanks for the good luck :) I've just got back from the interview and I'm not sure how it went, but you were right that it was easier in a way to have two people to look at rather than one. I feel awkward with eye contact most of the time, so being able to switch from person to person means I don't get that "am I staring too much? Or not looking at them enough?!" panicky thing as much. I'll hear back later whether I got it, but my pessimistic side just wants to curl up under the duvet and sleep the rest of the day away :(

That's great that your interview went well! I'm starting to look for summer jobs and am going to have to go on a few interviews myself soon. Oh dear. What do you say when don't have the answer to their question? Do you just make something up? I remember the first interview I went on, she asked me something and I didn't really understand the question and instead of asking her to clarify and I just sat there and smiled nervously at her until she moved on. Oh dear!

TheNewZero

The thing about job interviews is, if you really want the job you have to lie. Or enhance the truth. usually. Its not about what you know as it is about how you sell yourself. Unless of course you're applying to be a brain surgeon, then it really is about what you know.

Yes you're right. I'm not very good at doing that. One time when I was interviewing for a job as a receptionist, I decided to tell the lady the truth and said I was really shy. I never got a call back.

princess_haru

Well I didn't get the job I interviewed for yesterday, but I got the one from Tuesday so it's not all bad. I really wanted the other one as now I have to do telesales (cold calling, eek!!) but it's probably only for a few weeks as it's a temporary job. I hope I cope, as calling up strangers to sell them stuff scares the crap out of me!! But maybe it'll be like being thrown in at the deep end...

That's great that your interview went well! I'm starting to look for summer jobs and am going to have to go on a few interviews myself soon. Oh dear. What do you say when don't have the answer to their question? Do you just make something up? I remember the first interview I went on, she asked me something and I didn't really understand the question and instead of asking her to clarify and I just sat there and smiled nervously at her until she moved on. Oh dear!

I've borrowed a book from the library called Perfect Interview which has helped me a lot with preparing answers in advance, as it gives likely questions and ideas for how to reply - so I'd recommend going to your library and seeing what books they have on job seeking and interviews. Maybe get a book out on how to write a CV/resume as well, as mine's LOTS better since I read a couple of books on it! Don't worry about what's happened in the past; try to think of it as a learning experience ;)

The thing about job interviews is, if you really want the job you have to lie. Or enhance the truth. usually. Its not about what you know as it is about how you sell yourself. Unless of course you're applying to be a brain surgeon, then it really is about what you know.

I think you have to edit the truth, definitely, but I'd be careful about outright lying! You might end up getting caught out if you claim you can do something which you can't.

Yes you're right. I'm not very good at doing that. One time when I was interviewing for a job as a receptionist, I decided to tell the lady the truth and said I was really shy. I never got a call back.

It sucks that most jobs these days seem to require really outgoing people. Just because we're shy doesn't mean we don't have a lot to offer! I want to study and get some qualifications so that I can get into a career more suited to me than customer service; I think we just need to try to play to our strengths (and we DO have them, no matter how bad we feel some days!)

make lots of eye contact, firm handshake.. and thank them at the end?

Thanks for the advice. My handshake used to be really weak and floppy, lol, so I've been trying to work on it!

Riiya

Hey, I didn't know being shy was a bad thing. I once had the interviewer tell me, "You look shy," and I just sat there and smiled in agreement. So that's why I didn't get the job. Guess I missed the cue to defend myself and turn my supposed flaw into my strength. Oh well.

princess_haru

Hey, I didn't know being shy was a bad thing. I once had the interviewer tell me, "You look shy," and I just sat there and smiled in agreement. So that's why I didn't get the job. Guess I missed the cue to defend myself and turn my supposed flaw into my strength. Oh well.

I don't think being shy is a bad thing, but it's a problem when you're interviewing for a sociable job ::(: It's like I said before, I think we should try to play to our strengths and choose work that isn't aimed at the overly chatty, loud, in-yer-face kind of people. It's not easy though - I'm probably going to be working in a call centre this week, which is practically my idea of hell! Bills need paying though... *sigh* My long term plan (it's pretty vague but I'm still calling it a plan!) is to work in a creative field where the emphasis isn't on yapping all day to make your employer more money :rolleyes: