I wish I had a friend

Kathryn

Nothing fancy. Just a plain old, kind hearted soul to talk to.
My social skills are bland, I just can't seem to relate to people, much less hold on to their friendship.
My life is really in bad shape right now. My depression and anxiety seem to be getting worse, and I'm lonlier than ever. Nobody seems to notice, how lonely I am and all.
So tell me, How does one make friends?

k123dave

I'm really sorry to hear that. We're all in this together. Every single one of us on here has issues, that is what binds us together. By discussing these issues together, we become friends :) You never need to be lonely, I'm usually on most of the day if you ever want to chat.

To make friends off this site take courage, and sometimes a lot of it. I know it's scary, and full of rejection, but you need to think about the worst case scenario; they say no, at the end of the day it is their fault and they are truly the one that loses. Being sociable takes a lot of hard work and effort, for most of us here. The main thing is to project confidence, even if you don't feel it.

What are your interests? Some interests usually have a forum, and on the forum, local meets, these are usually a good way of meeting a group of people that at least have something in common with you.

Last edited:

Damaged

Yeah i know how you feel, i've pretty much lost all my friends because they don't understand what i go through and i don't really wanna be a burden.

So i joined up to this site in the hope for some new friends, even maybe meet a few of them cos at least id probably feel more comfortable with someone whos going through the same thing as me.

thor01

I guess I've just kind of accepted I may not run into proper friends in the real world (near me and in person) any time soon, or at all. I suppose that makes it easier in some way, to think if it happens sometime, good, if not yet, oh well I'll just carry on with myself haha.

U

userremoved

I know that sometimes your location can make it easier to meet people similar to you. Certain areas are just not good for young people or even singles. Which is why I want to move.

Dionysus

How do you make friends? Hell if I know. Over the years i've slowly lost most of my friends, only a few have truly understood and stuck by me.

Krista

Nothing fancy. Just a plain old, kind hearted soul to talk to.
My social skills are bland, I just can't seem to relate to people, much less hold on to their friendship.
My life is really in bad shape right now. My depression and anxiety seem to be getting worse, and I'm lonlier than ever. Nobody seems to notice, how lonely I am and all.
So tell me, How does one make friends?

It's easier when you're always in a social setting like work or school. But all you have to do is reach out to someone to talk or post something like this and I'm sure tons of people will :)

I'll always here to talk as well hun.

Silvox Black

Friends are made by first finding those of a common interest. Those that can understand the foundations that your mindset and beliefs come from. Those such as us on this forum can be an excellent first step in this process.

jbeenthere

you might first try and go to group therapy if possible. you don't have to talk if you don't want to but it helps to hear other people talk about similar stuff as you have. it gave me a sense that it was possible to feel a kindred spirit was out there somewhere. once you start looking with a positive expectation you seem to find what you're looking for more easily.

MadCat

I too wish I had friends. It's hard enough to make them online for me, and just impossible offline. I think what limits me is I don't KNOW anyone near me that understands what I go through. For example, a friend that would understand why I say I don't feel like going outside, or going to the shop with them. Simple things like that I find hard.

To be honest I don't know HOW to be a real life friend, I've never done it, and 've never had one too. I'd like to experience that in my life I guess, I'm 26 and cannot say to anyone on here I really have had a friend in real life, in fact I don't even KNOW anyone on this town, not ONE person I have ever talked to in the 18 years I've lived here. I do have AvPD, so it's a bit harder, as I absolutely can't approach or talk to anyone, even family I avoid at all costs. Not because I don't care, but I am scared.

I guess, if THERE is anyone in the UK, ANYONE at all, that would like to try to be my friend, you can always send me a message and for the first time ever, I would like to try to be your friend, if you understand how hard it will be for me.

I'm lonely, not because I'm single, but because I don't have a friend :( I wish so much I had one that was finally "real". One dream of mine that I am scared will never come true, because I am getting more and more sick every day.

Scooter

I don't have friends, the constant possibility of judgement is overwhelming. BUT I go to uni and I find that the easiest way to get through a day surrounded by people is to just smile. I don't talk to them (unless I'm having a particularly good day), I don't want to invite conversation, but a smile leaves the possibility open for a future conversation.
The good thing about other people is that they all love to talk about themselves, so on the days I'm strong enough to deal with them, all I have do is smile and nod & they do all the work.

Luke1993

I've never had friends. I think it's because I've never spoken to anyone who has the same interests as me. But yeah supposedly you're supposed to find people with the same interests and then make friends with them.

apollo

I know people that are extremely social but I can guarantee you that they have no close friends. It's hard to make friends regardless of SA. Yet SA just makes it harder. Generally they won't come to you. You have to make an effort. That's something I admit I've never done. I have a lot of aquaintances but no real friends beyond my girlfriend.

I know that there is at least someone out there that shares similar interests and experiences but we rarely cross paths.

I could be friends with many people here but none are local.

I stopped trying...