I want to help everyone with exercise

Thelema

I have some good knowledge and experience with it and think I can help people. If anyone wants help I will design a full exercise plan for them. All I need to know is your goals and what, if any, exercise equipment you are able to use. I also need to know your present physical condition

Emma

Can you help me? 8O

I want to be pain free, seriously, I've had enough.
I have no excercise equipment.
My present physical condition, ohhhhhhhhh
I'm feel like an old lady, I am soo tired, and I'm constantly sore.......do you think you can really come up with something? To stop me getting worse?

SingaporeGuy

Yeah, excercise do u good, to ur self esteem and image really..

Kudos to the threadstarter..

Btw I went from 105KG to 75KG, and everything is going smmothly health and image wise..:)

Starry

Thelema said:
I have some good knowledge and experience with it and think I can help people. If anyone wants help I will design a full exercise plan for them. All I need to know is your goals and what, if any, exercise equipment you are able to use. I also need to know your present physical condition

Maybe you could tell me what you think of my current routine, tell me if you think it needs improving...

Goal: weight loss and want to be fitter...
Current Fitness level: Fairly healthy... (Resting pulse rate of 48-60bpm, heart recovery rate of dropping to 110bpm after 1 minute - after working at about 170-180bpm... 180bpm leaves me slightly out of breath...)
Equipment will be listed with current routine...

Current routine: 1 hour of jogging/running at 160-170 steps per minute. (In place since I can't leave the house lol - It's pathetic I know) OR 1 hour 30 cycling at 30 - 40kmph... (Which I'm currently hating, so haven't done for two weeks. It just drives me insane...) Both followed by 20 minutes of Press-ups, (Stupid girly ones lol Well, I am a girl...) sit-ups, and low weights. (1.5kg or 2kg) I do that 4-5 days a week.

SingaporeGuy

Starry said:
Thelema said:

Maybe you could tell me what you think of my current routine, tell me if you think it needs improving...

Current Fitness level: Fairly healthy... (Resting pulse rate of 48-60bpm, heart recovery rate of dropping to 110bpm after 1 minute - after working at about 180bpm... 180bpm leaves me slightly out of breath...)

Current routine: 1 hour of jogging/running at 160-170 steps per minute. (In place since I can't leave the house lol - It's pathetic I know) OR 1 hour 30 cycling at 30 - 40kmph... (Which I'm currently hating, so haven't done for two weeks. It just drives me insane...) Both followed by 20 minutes of Press-ups, (Stupid girly ones lol Well, I am a girl...) sit-ups, and low weights. (1.5kg or 2kg) I do that 4-5 days a week.

skip the low intensity workout, aim for interval training, for example sprints for 30 secs, jog for 30 secs and then back to square one again, try doing that for 10 sets or so..

High intensity interval training-do a google on this

burpees for 10 mins is another option

do weights - important

change of diet - most important

Cant seem to emphasize on all these man..

Thelema

I don't have time to help you guys right now. I had to sleep in, I'm so lazy. I gotta jump in the bath and get to school. When I get back I'll help you :)

Thelema

Emma said:
Can you help me? 8O

I want to be pain free, seriously, I've had enough.
I have no excercise equipment.
My present physical condition, ohhhhhhhhh
I'm feel like an old lady, I have little movement in my upper body, my joints have worn down for no reason and calcified (in my spine) and I'm constantly sore.......do you think you can really come up with something to combine with my therapy that I currently have? To stop me getting worse?

Hey Emma, sorry for the delay.

Ok, we'll do 2 workouts a week. We'll have 3 exercises each day and each day is separated by at least one day of rest. The exercises on the first day will begin with push ups. Do them on your knees if you have to and do 3 sets of as many as you can, but stop a few reps before failure. Rest at least 90 seconds between sets and no more than 5 minutes.

Next will be supermans. A great exercise for the lower back that is good for back pain. Same thing as push ups. 3 sets, stop a couple reps before failure, rest 90seconds-5 minutes. Here's a link to the exercise in case you don't know what it is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Superman

Now on to crunches. Same as the others, 3 sets that aren't to failure and 90 seconds-5 minutes rest.

Finish it off with squats. Same as before

Thats all for the first day of the two.

The second day we'll switch things up a little. Instead of regular push ups we'll do diamond push ups. They're the same as regular ones, but instead of your hands being apart, you put them close together so the fingers of both hands form what looks like a diamond. They will be a little harder than regular push ups. Same thing as with the regular with the sets and rest time.

Everything else we'll keep the same. I don't want to give you too many or too hard exercises in the beginning. After you can do 20 push ups from the knees start to do them from the feet. Once you can do 10 push ups from the feet and 50 super mans and 50 crunches and 50 squats I'll give you a harder routine to keep you getting stronger :)

Thelema

Starry said:
Thelema said:

Current Fitness level: Fairly healthy... (Resting pulse rate of 48-60bpm, heart recovery rate of dropping to 110bpm after 1 minute - after working at about 170-180bpm... 180bpm leaves me slightly out of breath...)

I don't leave the house or yard for exercise either so don't feel ashamed.

More intense conditioning has been proven to burn fat faster than less intense longer duration conditioning. 10 minutes of very intense exercise can burn more fat than an hours worth of low intense, but the catch is who the heck has the will power for such intense stuff? I think you'll be better with cutting some of the hour long stuff and doing more 20-30 minutes of more intense stuff. It will be more intense so it will be more effective and it won't be too intense that you'll dread doing it. More intense exercise also stimulates your metabolism for hours after the workout. Less intense exercise does almost nothing for your metabolism after the workout. Weight training also has the same effect. Weight training burns masses of calories and stimulates your metabolism for hours after the exercise. If you are really serious about losing weight you should look in to heavier weight training.

Keep variety in your conditioning so you don't get bored. One of the reasons people give up exercise is because they do the same thing over and over and never change it. If you keep things interesting exercise will feel less like work.

Diet is also major. You may workout for an hour a day but what do you do for your health the rest of the day? Exercise and diet are like the wheels of a bike :lol: you need both of them working together for the best results. Diet doesn't have to be complicated because you already know what is good and isn't good for you. Don't try and go totally healthy tho, some bad stuff is okay once in a while....like chocolate :wink:

Thelema

SingaporeGuy said:
Starry said:
Thelema said:

Current Fitness level: Fairly healthy... (Resting pulse rate of 48-60bpm, heart recovery rate of dropping to 110bpm after 1 minute - after working at about 180bpm... 180bpm leaves me slightly out of breath...)

skip the low intensity workout, aim for interval training, for example sprints for 30 secs, jog for 30 secs and then back to square one again, try doing that for 10 sets or so..

High intensity interval training-do a google on this

burpees for 10 mins is another option

do weights - important

change of diet - most important

Cant seem to emphasize on all these man..

High intensity is a great way to go but it isn't a one or the other sort of thing. Most people don't want to feel like puking after every workout. Burpees are probably the best conditioning exercise available but 10 minutes straight is suicide 8O :lol:

Starry

Thelema said:
Starry said:
Thelema said:

I don't leave the house or yard for exercise either so don't feel ashamed.

More intense conditioning has been proven to burn fat faster than less intense longer duration conditioning. 10 minutes of very intense exercise can burn more fat than an hours worth of low intense, but the catch is who the heck has the will power for such intense stuff? I think you'll be better with cutting some of the hour long stuff and doing more 20-30 minutes of more intense stuff. It will be more intense so it will be more effective and it won't be too intense that you'll dread doing it. More intense exercise also stimulates your metabolism for hours after the workout. Less intense exercise does almost nothing for your metabolism after the workout. Weight training also has the same effect. Weight training burns masses of calories and stimulates your metabolism for hours after the exercise. If you are really serious about losing weight you should look in to heavier weight training.

Keep variety in your conditioning so you don't get bored. One of the reasons people give up exercise is because they do the same thing over and over and never change it. If you keep things interesting exercise will feel less like work.

Diet is also major. You may workout for an hour a day but what do you do for your health the rest of the day? Exercise and diet are like the wheels of a bike :lol: you need both of them working together for the best results. Diet doesn't have to be complicated because you already know what is good and isn't good for you. Don't try and go totally healthy tho, some bad stuff is okay once in a while....like chocolate :wink:

Okily. I'll think about all that and see about adapting next week. Thanks. :)

Diet's already perfectly sorted, I don't eat anything unhealthy at all. No chocolate, nothing. Haven't touched anything even remotely unhealthy for over 6 months lol. :lol:

Actually, what I'm already doing is working perfectly well, I just thought I'd see about any suggestions to improve it anyway lol. :lol:

maggie

Thelema said:
dear Dr. Thelema :wink: hey Thelema, you know how i love to work out..you're right that it is good for strengthening your bones, relieving stress, and it just gives me this incredible sense of empowerment 8) ..anyway, on to my question. I work out approx 1 hour daily...including stretches, sit-ups (crunches i guess they are), weights, and then 35 minutes on the treadmill. Is it true I shouldn't work out every day? and if so, why?

Thelema

maggie said:
Thelema said:
dear Dr. Thelema :wink: hey Thelema, you know how i love to work out..you're right that it is good for strengthening your bones, relieving stress, and it just gives me this incredible sense of empowerment 8) ..anyway, on to my question. I work out approx 1 hour daily...including stretches, sit-ups (crunches i guess they are), weights, and then 35 minutes on the treadmill. Is it true I shouldn't work out every day? and if so, why?

I'm a Dr now huh? :lol: It's perfectly fine to workout ever day. It's the intensity that matters. The only problem is that the central nervous system can get burned out and thats called over training. It's nasty and is counter productive, as it weakens you through your exercise instead of strengthening you. Olympic weight lifters lift heavy every day, several times a day, because they have conditioned their bodies through years of training to adapt and benefit from such heavy work. If a normal person tried it they would do nothing more than injure themselves and dig themselves in to a hole.

The best judge is your body. Do you feel full of energy before you workout or do you feel sluggish and tired? If you feel good then go for it. If you feel tired and worn out then take a few days off to give your body enough time to recover. Nobody else can tell you if your doing too much.

After saying that, it is important to have a progressive and balanced plan. Results never lie and if you're getting stronger or losing weight or feeling better in line with your goals then you're on the right track. If you're thinner/stronger/healthier than you were a month ago then you know you're doing well. If you haven't seen much improvement and your just kinda stuck in the same place, then you should switch things up

maggie

Thelema said:
maggie said:
Thelema said:

I'm a Dr now huh? :lol: It's perfectly fine to workout ever day. It's the intensity that matters. The only problem is that the central nervous system can get burned out and thats called over training. It's nasty and is counter productive, as it weakens you through your exercise instead of strengthening you. Olympic weight lifters lift heavy every day, several times a day, because they have conditioned their bodies through years of training to adapt and benefit from such heavy work. If a normal person tried it they would do nothing more than injure themselves and dig themselves in to a hole.

The best judge is your body. Do you feel full of energy before you workout or do you feel sluggish and tired? If you feel good then go for it. If you feel tired and worn out then take a few days off to give your body enough time to recover. Nobody else can tell you if your doing too much.

After saying that, it is important to have a progressive and balanced plan. Results never lie and if you're getting stronger or losing weight or feeling better in line with your goals then you're on the right track. If you're thinner/stronger/healthier than you were a month ago then you know you're doing well. If you haven't seen much improvement and your just kinda stuck in the same place, then you should switch things up
hey Thelema..just wanted to let you know, awesome advice! I think i was burning myself out a bit..feeling tired just before working out..so, i took a few days off, as hard as that was..and it just felt incredible that first day back 8) ..good advice man. So, another question for you..are you going to pursue physical fitness, health, kinesiology? (if that's the right word) after you're done high school? I think you'd be really good at that :)

Thelema

maggie said:
Thelema said:
maggie said:
Thelema said:

hey Thelema..just wanted to let you know, awesome advice! I think i was burning myself out a bit..feeling tired just before working out..so, i took a few days off, as hard as that was..and it just felt incredible that first day back 8) ..good advice man. So, another question for you..are you going to pursue physical fitness, health, kinesiology? (if that's the right word) after you're done high school? I think you'd be really good at that :)

I'm glad I helped :) . Na, I just want to get as strong as I can. I'm trying to tackle the one arm chin up right now. They're really tough.

abner

As it can help anyone, at any age or fitness level, but it has the most dramatic effects on those who are the most unhealthy.

Last edited: