I Survived!!!!!

lonely_drummer

Howdy folks, just got back from a one month adventure to Svalbard Norway. I made it both a mental and physical test to myself. I decided to join a completely random group of 10 others to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Physically it was straining but mentally it was even more challenging. I seemed to cope with meeting the new and strange people. It was really exciting, I think I was probably high off the beauty of the nature there and it seemed to inspire me to get to know these people. It was great, the 14 hour trekking days were tough and amazing, the 24 hours of constant sunlight, the late nights of doing my polar beat watch, and I managed to meet some really great people as well. So I just wanted to shout that I think I made a victory and Im feeling really good about myself, haha yeeah. peace out

AnxietyDave

Congrats lonely drummer, it sounds like you had a real life changing experience and as if it did you the world of good. Sometimes a change of environment is all we need to rediscover ourselves. Well a big CONGRATS to you and I am glad you had a good time.

dottie

that sounds like a fantastic experience! i'm happy for you. did you take pics? if so you should post some.

SPV

Congratz :) You've had a real taste of adventure. It's nice to hear someone taking a tough challenge in beating their SA, your onto a winner, please keep it up. And definitely, you should post some of the pictures, if you do have that is, and give us a glimpse of what it was like to be out there. Best wishes

Last edited:

mads

WOW much have been an amazing experience. I would love to see Svalbard one day. Did you see any polar bears there?

lonely_drummer

Thanks guys, I do believe it was a great leap to trying to defeat my SA but I know theres still more challenges ahead but this adventure was a much needed first step.

I didnt see any polar bears which was unfortunate, but we saw a lot of their tracks, so they were near. Plus on our 2nd last day out, we got news that a few guys kayaking were dragged 40 meters out of their tent one night, fortunately they all survived.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0

lonely_drummer

that looks frickin amazing! (and frickin cold)

It actually wasnt that bad, it was around 5-8 degrees C the whole time but when the wind picked up, it didn't go around you, it went through you

Here are some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0

Damaged

Wow them photos are beautiful.
I am so happy for you and i'm glad you feel amazing afterwards like you say it was a huge leap and things can only go from more positive and upwards as your challenging yourself :D

Well done.

Tiercel

Welcome back, and I'm glad it turned out great. Congratulations, thanks for sharing, and all that other stuff that I want to say. ;)

Now the next time you're feeling a bit anxious, try telling yourself that it can't be as bad as watching for polar bears while everyone else is asleep.

:D

Felgen

Nice pictures. :) I've always wanted to see Svalbard myself. Polar bears are much more vicious than brown and black bears, though--be glad you didn't see one.

Hey - good for you lonely_drummer! This is very inspirational. I'm thinking of going back to live to the place where I lived as a child (the happiest days of my life), next month. I hope it works out :)