I hate how I look

I understand. I am ugly. I see people, who are not ugly, such as yourself, thinking that they are. I didn't know there was a name for it though. It don't bother me because I know that I look weird but I hate it when attractive people feel this way. I'm sorry you hate how you look.

FriendlyShadow

I have Body dysmorphic disorder :/ I never knew that there was a name to what I had until recently so I made a yt video talking about how I hate my looks.

Oh honey, I'm so sorry about your dysmorphic disorder. You're not ugly to me, in fact you're a very beautiful girl. Me, personally, I think I look uglier compared to every other girl I see. I look too anorexic, my face is too small/round, dark circles visible under eyes, ugly smile, ugly low voice, skinny arms, bushy eyebrows, ect. I hate the way I look in pictures(bad ones especially) because I'm too stick thin like and my smile looks like crap. I usually feel crying because of how I see myself in pictures. No matter what, I see woman on magazines and in real life who I can't match up close to. I hate myself more than my looks though.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Does it help you when you post videos or pictures of yourself and people tell you that you look pretty? Did you end up believing that you at least look decent, or do you keep thinking that people considere you as being fairly deep in the ugly spectrum?

jigglypuff

You look Beautiful. I'm ugly, fat, and other people are way better looking than me trust me they are. I always think that the reason why people are near me is so they can look better and have a better self-esteem it's like when people look at me I feel as if they're thinking "I look better than her" I know I'm not a mind reader, but their's always something that makes me feel that people are thinking that way towards me.

Bronson99

I have Body dysmorphic disorder :/ I never knew that there was a name to what I had until recently so I made a yt video talking about how I hate my looks.

I hate my looks! BDD - YouTube

No need to complain about your nose. I used to feel that way too, but just quit it, seriously. It's a distinctive feature common among some ethnicities. I actually talked to someone once about it and that one conversation changed my attitude, true story.

I'm Italian and I have a very similar nose with a bump, I've always had it. It's called a "Roman nose" and I've heard that some girls actually find it attractive. Personally I find it attractive on girls myself, seriously.

Richey

You look good.

I think the problem is that females tend to go for a well thought out look. But that's when they will compare themselves to others. If you are out in the city and you walk past thousands of people, you are looking at them, not at you. So you lose that sense of self identity. So you are looking at tall, fit, well clothed people. That can be hard. So I think if you have some strategies. Live in your own world without paying much attention to all the people out there. Another thing to try is if you pay attention to people, see which clothes you like. Don't focus on the person, but the jeans or the jacket. Something like that.

In the 1990s it wasn't as obvious as it is now. People sort of looked dorky, grungy, people still dressed in classy clothes, but it wasn't as intimidating as it is these days.

I think there was more of a relaxed feeling back then.

That might have something to do with feeling more inadequate now.

So if you can find something to take your mind of physical looks.

If you keep busy doing what you want, then that leaves little time for worrying about stuff.

I think i'm generic looking as a male. it's hard even for us, because girls like a certain guy. a certain style.

The only solution I think, is to keep busy with hobbies, work, fun, so you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

Quirk87

Banned
Regardless of whether or not she is perceived as being attractive or not, BDD is still a mental illness that deserves respect and treatment. In fact the consequences of BDD often lead to severe distress for people who suffer such an affliction. Quite understandably, thoughts of suicide, isolation and ideas of reference and obsession of their perceived physical flaws can become extremely unpleasant and pervasive.
Remember it's not about appearance or beauty, its about a distressing psychological condition that requires understanding.

Slytherin88

Is there a scale for diagnosis of BDD? All women hate part of their looks, but how far does it have to go to be BDD?

coyote

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for people like you. Thinking you're ugly is one thing, actually being ugly is a whole different matter. I get told I'm ugly on a monthly basis, by family, classmates, "old" friends, even strangers sometimes. Bet you've never gotten negative comments on your looks, or have you? Except out of jealousy maybe, I could see that happening, because you're a beautiful young woman. But I suppose telling you that is not going to change how you see yourself. How about focusing your attention on people who've got it much worse than you in terms of appearance instead of looking at those you perceive as more beautiful?

my guess is that all the people who think that they are uglier than YOU could tell you the same thing :idontknow:

it might help not to see everything in black and white

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Regardless of whether or not she is perceived as being attractive or not, BDD is still a mental illness that deserves respect and treatment. In fact the consequences of BDD often lead to severe distress for people who suffer such an affliction. Quite understandably, thoughts of suicide, isolation and ideas of reference and obsession of their perceived physical flaws can become extremely unpleasant and pervasive.
Remember it's not about appearance or beauty, its about a distressing psychological condition that requires understanding.
Yes.

If anyone is doubting the reality or debilitating nature of BDD, it has a higher suicide rate than depression or social anxiety.

Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in ... [J Clin Psychiatry. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

I think Pacific Loner raises an interesting question. I too am interested in a response from the OP.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

I have this disorder too. And it prevented me, through a large part of my life, from meeting someone. All of my teen years and most of my twenties, I never had a girlfriend. I thought I was too ugly. Every time a girl did express interest, I thought she was just doing it out of pity. I pushed any girl away that had interest and gravitated to the ones that didn't to reinforce my views of myself.

When I look at old pictures of myself, I think, "oh wow, I was a good looking guy". About five months ago, I began trying to accept myself as a good looking guy and SUCCEEDED. I felt confident and happy. I noticed women (who hadn't paid attention before) began looking at me....................But, I lost it again and I'm back to hating myself. :( ...I can't seem to get it back. I have no confidence or self esteem anymore.........

ImNotMyIllness

cute girl #1: I think I am ugly.

cute girl #2: I don't believe you. You're just saying that to get attention. You're not ugly, you're cute. How can a cute girl possibly think she's ugly? I, on the other hand, KNOW that I'M ugly.

hmmm :thinking:

LOL...Very true!

Last edited by a moderator:

MollyBeGood

That video was really touching. I really think you're a brave person for exposing so much of your insecurities to us. I completely understand how you feel. I about cried when you said you had a hump in your back from trying to cover the mole on your neck for so long. I could never make a video like that about myself b/c I am too insecure about my looks..you talking about how you hate your profile really hit home for me, too. All I can say is with time you will become more at home in your body and more comfortable with who you are. Time does heal these issues a lot. Just be kind to yourself and realize everyone is beautiful in their own way. No one is perfect and it's is all the pressures from advertising and t.v. that make people feel they need to look a certain way to be loved and accepted. Love and accept yourself first then none of that outside crap matters. I know it is not that easy but believe me when you can do this even for small scale moments it will carry over and keep happening and one day you will feel beautiful. Keep being brave, that is true beauty that never fades.