I don't know who i am.

I don't know who I am either. Its really hard for anyone to define themseleves. We all are complex beings..constantly changing and questioning

DanFC

Yeah, it's especially a concept difficult for us to grasp as we often lack the social connections that often provide identity.

DanFC

That's natural. When I'm feeling particularly "scattered" I feel no one else will get me or what I'm feeling; I feel as if I don't want to burden them with the trouble of trying to understand.

Besides, we've all been through enough awkward situations where we've learned to shut ourselves from others (well, at least I have). It's just painfully hard when someone genuinely wants to help you, and it's almost like you can't do anything about it.

250px-You_are_lisa_simpson.jpg

?????????????????

Lorraine Manca

this post reminds me of billy crystal. i dont think you have to know who you are, its not really that important, all there is really is what you think, say, and do. a lot of buddhist dont even think the self exists. if you are NoT thinking, saying, or doing anything, than you slip into being nothing. i think theres more anxiety buzzing around now because people are so afraid of slipping away ever sense there was a huge emphasis on the individual and being unique and all that garbage. really in literature you can see the shift from just life in general to identity and self discovery stuff. 1800s? i think thats when it happened.

DanFC

Yeah, true. Maybe i will develop my social/people skills sometime before i die. lol

We often say it, but don't do it :( And the few times that we do develop something, it's often dashed away by unfortunate circumstances.

Wow, I'm in a really bad mood tonight. Time to hit my best bud, Captain Morgan XD

DanFC

this post reminds me of billy crystal. i dont think you have to know who you are, its not really that important, all there is really is what you think, say, and do. a lot of buddhist dont even think the self exists. if you are NoT thinking, saying, or doing anything, than you slip into being nothing. i think theres more anxiety buzzing around now because people are so afraid of slipping away ever sense there was a huge emphasis on the individual and being unique and all that garbage. really in literature you can see the shift from just life in general to identity and self discovery stuff. 1800s? i think thats when it happened.

Isn't that identifying with a completely mechanistic point of view? Which in turn becomes irrelevant in light of any absolutes concerning identity, even if it's not real, since we cognitively identify ourselves?

Lorraine Manca

Isn't that identifying with a completely mechanistic point of view? Which in turn becomes irrelevant in light of any absolutes concerning identity, even if it's not real, since we cognitively identify ourselves?

not entirely sure what mechanistic means, but being selfless would be more liberating than having an identity, which would predetermine ALOT of your thoughts and ideas. its only my opinon though. really i just imagine there'd be less anxiety if you didnt have to go on that goose chase

the philosophy of its secondary though, emma, i hope you find what your looking for! we all have an entire life time to figure it out

DanFC

not entirely sure what mechanistic means, but being selfless would be more liberating than having an identity, which would predetermine ALOT of your thoughts and ideas. its only my opinon though. really i just imagine there'd be less anxiety if you didnt have to go on that goose chase

the philosophy of its secondary though, emma, i hope you find what your looking for! we all have an entire life time to figure it out

I don't disagree that being selfless would be more liberating than an identity, but I myself find liberation in the struggle for identity, which is quintessentially absurdism. I highly recommend you read Albert Camus' essay on Sisyphus, I think you'd find it interesting, to say the least.

Newtype

I've been feeling so scattered lately... i can't explain it.

I know how you feel. It is an issue that I have thought about a lot in the past months: Figuring out who I am. When I try to do some soul-searching, it usually ends with me feeling the way you feel now. Perhaps there is something special about us but we can't figure out what it is because of the way we are.

agoraphobickatie

it's okay, you don't have to know who you are :)

life's about living and finding who you are... live your life, make your mistakes, learn your lessons, and you'll fall into yourself somewhere along the journey :)

This is one way that therapy helped me. It was only in therapy a couple of years ago that I discovered that I had a right to figure out who I really am. Until then, I hadn't thought myself important enough to be "allowed" to do that.