I don't greet my neighbours

mndigi

I usually don't greet my neighbours out of social anxiety, and later feel terribly guilty about it. I probably come across as very rude. Just a few minutes back, one of my neighbours was in the same elevator as me, and I kept on looking at the wall, not speaking a word. Another day, I rang my doorbell and waited while our next door neighbours were going out and locking their house (we live in an apartment). I kept on looking at my door with my neighbours just inches away from me, and didn't say a word. They all MUST think me to be very rude, or retarded.

I know that I don't like doing any of this. But greeting others is as difficult for me, as running 100 kms (50 miles).

Emily_G

I do the same thing...and I feel really guilty after wards and they probably think I am really rude too :( I hate it. I'd probably be okay with "hi"...but then "hi" leads to more conversation...

planemo

If I lived in an apartment complex I would be exactly the same. For me I'm fortunate that I don't really get to see my neighbours. These days I do greet people, but when I was younger I never even looked in the same general direction of anyone. You see not to greet someone older than you is a big sign of disrespect in my world, so I'm sure everyone thought I was really rude.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't greet mines, not only because I don't know what to say, but because they don't deserve it either... They are idiots.

NewHorizons

I live in a tiny studio at the end of the hall, and I can hear EVERYONE in the hallway and they can hear me... I swear the guy next door called me "unbalanced" when he thought I was asleep.

hoddesdon

I do the same as well. This is a classic symptom of social phobia. Yes, people do think it is rude. Perhaps explaining the situation may help. Some people respond in a positive way to that.

I do think that having a doormat saying "#@%$ off" is unacceptable. I feel the same myself sometimes (but without the bad language), but other people are not responsible for one's having social phobia.

Awkward Annie

Me too. I might say hi if they look at me but straight after that I will turn my back or pretend to be on the phone or anything to discourage further conversation.

206Raider

My neighbors are all really talkative to eachother and I've only said hi to a few of them but it seems like everyone in this neighborhood is family or something. I waved a some people who were talking on the corner once becuase there was like 5 of them and I was by myself and they were looking at me but when I did that they looked away so I don't like those people lol

It seems as you get older you tend to feel obligated to be and act a certain way, be polite, say hello, invite your neighbor over for coffee, send them a gift, a card...some people do this, they get chummy with the neighbors. There's no rule saying you have too. I know your just talking about saying hello..and I know what you mean. In my case when I was in my early twenties and younger I didnt feel certain social pressures..and now that Im getting older I do all of a sudden..don't know where it came from or why. Maybe its witnessing others doing these things and you realize why dont I? am I weird? rude? No.
Sometimes we have to cut ourselves some slack..especially because we have this problem.

I don't talk to my neighbours either.. except once I waved at one of my neighbour's dogs and made funny faces, not realising that the woman was sitting just behind the dog! Afterwards she was staring at me like i'm a loony or something. lol o_o