I Command You to Cheer Me Up

EighthPostMade said:
Tell me something I haven't heard a million times before.

The Eddington number is the number of protons in the observable universe. In the 1930s, the physicist/astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington became convinced that the fine structure constant alpha must be exactly 1/136 (though it's now known to be approximately 1/137.0359911). From this he asserted that the number of protons in the observable universe should be 136 x 2^256. In 1938, he stated "I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 605 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe and the same number of electrons." While the number is discredited and Eddington's work on a fundamental theory to unify relativity and quantum mechanics was incomplete at his death, some still believe that a relationship between math and fundamental physics may be involved in a grand unified theory.

Wait... did you want something useful and cheerful? Sorry, all out, but at least you haven't heard that a million times before.

Livingwithoutlivin

I think depression comes from not having enough problems, or things to immerse our minds into, that make use of our creativity and productive skills. Like, do something that consumes your mind and curiousity.

Satine

Being told that you have so much to live for etc. is no use to man nor beast, because when you feel depressed, you don't feel that that's true.

The trick is (assuming that your depression isn't chemistry-based) to find things that interest you, and to do as much of them as possible so that you don't end up sliding back down into the depressive rut.

For me that means writing fanfiction and noting every new story idea I get. I currently have about 8 ideas, which means I have a huge backlog. I put a lot of time and effort into my stories individually, so that's a hell of a lot of work - and means that one of my main problems in life is that I've got such a backlog. I may never complete this task, but it's an alright problem to have, and it keeps me very busy!

I also like the obscure, the unusual, the underbelly of life. I feel more gratified for actually knowing things, people etc. that not everybody knows. I'm currently learning about the Gorean slave culture (very complex).

RanjinSingh

I want to have a threesome with your mum and grandma, and am quietly confident that I can persuade both.

Has that cheered you up? It's certainly made me a lot more perky.

EighthPostMade

Hoth said:
The Eddington number is the number of protons in the observable universe. In the 1930s, the physicist/astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington became convinced that the fine structure constant alpha must be exactly 1/136 (though it's now known to be approximately 1/137.0359911). From this he asserted that the number of protons in the observable universe should be 136 x 2^256. In 1938, he stated "I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 605 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe and the same number of electrons." While the number is discredited and Eddington's work on a fundamental theory to unify relativity and quantum mechanics was incomplete at his death, some still believe that a relationship between math and fundamental physics may be involved in a grand unified theory.

Wait... did you want something useful and cheerful? Sorry, all out, but at least you haven't heard that a million times before.

Oh, crap. I've only heard that 975,341 times before. You win.

Livingwithoutlivin said:
I think depression comes from not having enough problems, or things to immerse our minds into, that make use of our creativity and productive skills. Like, do something that consumes your mind and curiousity.

Yeah well, my depression comes from having too many problems. I put off thinking about my problems for YEARS (while making use of my productive skills) and for a while I was convinced I was happy, or at least wasn't depressed. It doesn't seem to work anymore, as this isn't the first time this year I feel this way. I think about middle school, high school, college, and I just can't stand not having what most people have. It just hurts so much.

Satine said:
The trick is (assuming that your depression isn't chemistry-based) to find things that interest you, and to do as much of them as possible so that you don't end up sliding back down into the depressive rut.

I would do that, but I'm just getting so bored of the things that normally interest me. I'm tired of doing everything alone.

RanjinSingh said:
I want to have a threesome with your mum and grandma, and am quietly confident that I can persuade both.

Has that cheered you up? It's certainly made me a lot more perky.

My grandma is blind, deaf, and dead. And she was cremated, too.

Try snowboarding! I can honestly say that the rush that I get from throwing myself down a mountain with a board attached to my feet it THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD! I would give up drinking in a heartbeat if I had to choose between getting drunk and snowboarding!!! And I've been called an alcoholic...That's how awesome snowboarding is to me lol...Give it a try!!!!!!!