How to meet new people and make new friends?

nothingtofear

I used to get invited out but never accepted those invitations because of my social anxiety... now a number of the few friends I had have gone from my life over the years and the ones I've got left are accustomed to my reluctance to do anything with anyone else. Add to this that my only good friends are introverts themselves, and add to this that even if they knew I wanted to get out and mingle more, they're embarrassed by my social awkwardness and prefer to keep our friendship separate from their other friendships anyway.

My anxiety has been improving a great deal in recent years (or so it seems, since isolation has been so easy) and I'm capable of not being too anxious to engage in social activities... but I don't know anyone, I don't know how to meet anyone or make new friends, I don't know where to start. I want to get out there, to meet new people, to fail and to be rejected and ultimately to get better at it and to succeed. I haven't made a new friend in years. I've made some acquaintances but no friends. I talk to a lot of people online and have some very good online friends but I want some people to hang out with in person once in a blue moon. This whole hermit thing is killing me. I imagine if I can get a job and hold it with my SA, that could help but until then, not working or going to school, does anyone have any suggests? Actually I never made any friends in high school or work but that's another story, I think if I had as little anxiety then as I do now, I would have made a few friends. I long ago decided that wanting something from others is selfish and if I want friendship I should give friendship but I don't know how. Random acts of kindness? That would be interesting but I feel like I've got limited means and again, don't know where I'd start.

Whether people know about my SA or not, if they can overlook my total awkwardness, there's still nothing of value, I'm the most boring company someone could ask for... and people bore me too, it goes both ways, and I get that I'm introverted and like to be alone but ALL THE TIME isn't good and I'm not sure how to get back out into the world I've been hiding from. While my anxiety has been waining, it's ever increasing absence seems to be uncovering a total cluelessness that was underlying it.

upndwn

Making new friends requires a bit of courage on your side. You have to get out there and do stuff.

Find a hobby or sport or other activity that interests you. Go to events related to those activities. There you will meet people with similar interests giving you a starting point to get better acquainted.

The same goes for concerts and sporting events (or other social events where large groups of people gather). Make small talk, show interest in what the other person is saying and maybe you eventually become friends.

Go clubbing, go to parties, have a couple of drinks to loosen up. Talk to people.

Vampayah88

Ive been askin myself the same thing for some time. Ive been told to just get out there but I cant make myself do it, i really hate going out all by myself, it makes me feel lonely.

bigcat1967

Whatever you are interested in - go to a meetup.

for an example - if you are interested in computers - google "computers meetup [city name]" and see what you get.

Invisibleman

I completely agree with you,I mean my anxiety is still worse than ever but I think that if it went away I would still be absolutely clueless on how to interact with people and society.