How to deal with condescending people?

akala

I was on another forum for my phone company and I asked a question and the person who answered and kept answering was so condescending and put me down and people (who were also affiliated with the phone company) praised the person...
How do you deal with these types of people ???

theoutsider

Unfortunately, on a forum like that when someone is being condescending and getting praise from everyone else the only way to handle them is to start treating them the same as they are treating you. If you're not that type of person (and I have nothing but praise for you if you're not) the only other real alternatives are to either report their abusive behavior to one of the mods (I hope the mods weren't amongst the people who were praising him) or block the person so you don't have to deal with their abuse in the future. I hate people like that but this is the internet which happens to be overflowing with those types. More than likely he is somebody who isn't that happy in his "real" life and has to be a cyber bully to make up for it.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Ignore the condescension and treat them as you would anyone else (an equal I hope). If they want to think they're better than you, more power to them, don't stoop to their level though.

It bothers me when I get patronized for being so quiet, but I guess in those cases I have a hard time blaming them though, as how would they know any better. Showing them you are not one to be patronized is also a good idea, that you're not stupid or whatever other reasoning they have for thinking they can be condescending. And remember "show don't tell," anyone can say they know what they are doing, only someone who does know can prove it.

Odo

Banned
The thing about the Internet is that there is no central authority that polices etiquette and combined with the anonymity people are more likely to be raging ****s. The mods on these sites aren't always going to be fair either.

Unfortunately, being a **** isn't against the law-- I've found that the best way to respond is to take the high road and not operate on their level at all. You can either ask them why they feel the need to be so rude or say something like 'well, glad that it amuses you so much', or better yet not respond at all and let them have their misery. They'll feel guilty if you're nice to them and if they don't then someone else will see that they're being really rude to someone who isn't being rude, and maybe call them out on it.

If you throw the same attitude back at them they're just going to get worse and other people will probably join in.

coyote

as my mommy coyote always used to say, "two wrongs don't make a right"

don't treat others how they treat you

treat others how you would want them to treat you

akala

Thanks for your responses, I just decided to leave it, I can't be like that towards someone else though even if I tried I'd fail lol...

Unfortunately the phone company is actually filled with those types of people...

Lalay45

I just an awesome reply about same question... Akala just read this completely..
wikihow.com/ Deal-With-a-Condescending-Friend