How 'handy' are you?

Do you consider yourself to be a 'handy' person?

• Hells yes! I can fix anything!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I'm okay, I guess...

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No. Not really.

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

WeirdyMcGee

I'm always shocked when I'm talking to people about doing what I thought were 'basic' things around the house...
I don't leave my room now - but I know how to do quite a few 'basic' things when it comes to plumbing, lighting, carpentry, auto repair and so on.

So, tell me: how handy are you?
Are you a trades-person?
Do you work in retail but you understand well enough how to at least check your oil and change your tires?
Do you know very little but you'd love to learn a few things?
What do you wish you knew how to do?

I fix our toilet on a regular basis and I've changed out many of our crappy light fixtures with ornate chandeliers.
I've fixed door frames, reupholstered antique pieces of furniture, installed hard wood flooring, plastered and painted walls, installed a glass tile backsplash in the kitchen, fixed leaky faucets...
I also do most of the repairs on mom's car since she bought it last year.
My ex was a mechanic and I learned most of what I know from him... although I don't know all of the terminology - if the car won't start, I can figure out why pretty fast and fix it.
Oil/fluid changes, basic installations, changing tires...
And then I'll go home and bake a 3-tiered cake.
haha
(and yet, I still feel like I suck at everything. Funny how that works...)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I was going to say I was okay, but after seeing I can't do any of the things you described I decided not at all would be the better answer ::p:

Aussie_Lad

If I even look at something the wrong way, it seems to break down or fall apart. I have given up on DIY a long time ago, and now leave it to the professionals.

Tiercel

I can fix anything, given one of the following:
a) I really want to.
b) I really need to.

Usually the 'want' gets put off until it turns into a 'need.' ::eek::

Rembrandt Broam

I'm not handy at all. I shouldn't be allowed near even the simplest of devices or appliances, because I'm definitely the sort of person who can break something just by looking at it. ::p:

(Actually the exception to that would be computers. I've built all mine myself, and they've all worked fine. Well, eventually they have. ;))

anuskas

Hey WeirdyMcGee do you want to come to my house? I´ve got an empty room! LOL

In fact, comparing to you I´m not handy at all and I don´t like to do none of the things you mentioned (plumbing, lighting, ...) but I´ve decorated my house and draw all the furniture and I´m good at doing the house chores. The bad the least!

Dead_on_Arrival

I have always been good with almost everything I put my mind to. Since I was young I have been fascinated with how things work so used to dismantle my toys and re-build them. This then became more complicated things like drills and computers to heating systems, bikes and cars. If anything needs doing I do it myself.

IGotSeoul

I thoroughly enjoy finding out how things work, seeing what makes it tick and thereon improving/dismantling/fixing. I consider myself fairly 'handy', inventive and a natural engineer of sorts. It's one of the very few things I have going for me.

Kat

I wouldn’t say I’m handy, I kind of like doing arts and craft making jewelry.
I am more naturally technological and creative minded.

Kat

I think you have found yourself a kindred.

Keep up the good work :) I could use you two around my home.

Last edited:

Blabla..

haha , i'm not that handy really , i know how to do the basics , i just learn when something needs fixing , i like to do all the stuff myself