How do you stop caring about what people think of you

KiaKaha

Banned
Need some help please... sometimes I think my life is dictated by what people think of me... I can *feel* the looks I get. I just wish there was some way that i just didnt care about it..

Do you guys have insight into this?

sevenroses

When people say who cares about what other people think, it's kind of easier said than done. I need a little help on this issue also.

KiaKaha

Banned
When people say who cares about what other people think, it's kind of easier said than done. I need a little help on this issue also.

I think everyone cares about what others think of them, but the problem is when it starts to control your behavior. If there was only way just to not CARE...

I took the stairs instead of the elevator today just to avoid having the receptionist look at me....

sigh...

Anomaly

Indeed, this has always interested me...I have a feeling that if I did study sociology I may be even worse off...

I suppose that can happen. I found it a bit helpful to analyze societal structures and reinforce the fact that a lot of the "social game" is utterly arbitrary.

My best advice is to go to HappinessthroughSelfAwareness.com
Then subscribe to his free PODCAST and listen to his podcasts ESPECIALLY - Overcoming fear of what others think of you and - Don't take anything personally. Its all you ! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Hannes

Another aspect which you might want to consider which might be helpful is this:

You need to truly realize that you can only take responsibility for yourself, your own thoughts and actions. So long as you are happy that your own thoughts and actions are in accordance with your internal belief system, why would you want to allow the thoughts or actions of others become your responsibility.

I agree that the ability to do this comes from knowing yourself and being happy with what you are.