How do you hold down a job with severe SA?

SweetCupcake

I really need to get a job soon, because I've been on disability benefits since I was 16 and I'm 19 now. Just wondering, how do you cope with work and what type of work do you do?

I cope with it, but just barely, I don't think I have severe SA.

I find sitting in a corner and being the weird quiet kid helps my situation. Everyone doesn't mind though at my place. They just brush it off.

Yeah also my Job is a firefighter, so I can't have severe SA, otherwise I wouldn't qualify.

lunaticbinge

^ You have an awesome post count.
OP: I'm not working right now but i've had jobs. The hardest part is the interview and the first couple of weeks. Softening people up to your nature and learning the work. It still sucks even after that, but eventually you get used to it to some extent. For the past year i've been having trouble even leaving the house to find a job though.

I've worked as a teacher for a few years now, I got into it volunteering to help in computing classes for adults and now do it full time (paid). I was strongly attracted to helping people one-to-one on their computers and this helped overcome the terror of talking in front of a group. I'm now quite used to it (sort of!)
I would suggest finding out what you would really like to do and go for it.
:)

slowmotiondaydream

you just get used to it, ive been employed at the same place since the age of 16 and now im 23. ive had my **** moments there. but people start acknowledging and appreciating you once you've broken through and work hard, and with just a simple 'hi' to the boss will look good .. as painful as it may be.
ive got social phobia and avoidance personality. it doesnt come easy

Aussie_Lad

I think it just takes a bit of focus. When you are focussed on doing your job well, then things will usually work out okay. You may not have the greatest conversation or small talk skills, but as long as you can talk about business at hand okay then things will work out fine. I felt more a lot more social when I was in an IT support role a few years back. However I couldn't stand sitting on my butt all day every day, so now in a job that doesn't require as much social interaction.