How do you express your creativity?

Ithior

I've read in a lot of places that expressing your creativity is good for you and something you should do regularly. I myself don't express my creativity a lot since I don't even know in which way I'd like to express it.

So my question is how do you express your creativity? Do you write novels, poems, songs? Do you draw or paint? Do you do something else?

great thread idea

About 2 months ago when I accidentally discovered that I can draw and soon as my exams are over Im going to explore that, see if it carries over into painting or anything else. I started a pencil portrait of my mum how I remember her which has been very healing.

In the past Ive written satirical articles on current events, making fun of serious issues. I always planned to send them into the paper....but I never did....because I wasnt brave.Dont know if thats creative or not though...it was just making fun of current events...not actually creating anything

I'm on the other side of that fence. I've actually for the most stopped expressing my creativity due to the emotional torture it has become. I'm self critical to the point where it was getting unhealthy stress wise.

Occasionally I'll do a bit of this and that, but not like I used to. And even now it's not at all a pleasant experience.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
When ah wuz younger - painting and drawing. Oh, and fan fiction - y'know long before that website wuz established.

Ma teenager years, ah wuz aw aboot playin' the guitar. From age 14 to 16, ah passionate about it. Then that, kinda drifted a wee bit - mainly due to depression and confidence issues.

Now - writing. Writin' aboot ma life. Ah kept an actual hand-written journal before and after ma father passed away. No' tae deal wi' any issues, ah jist wrote in it whenever ah couldnae git tae sleep - still awake at 2am. Writin' daft, surrealist one-liner jokes, as well as darkly humourous, offensive jokes. :bigsmile:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I've read in a lot of places that expressing your creativity is good for you and something you should do regularly.

I really wonder who said that and how they came to that conclusion, but let's assume it's "true"

I myself don't express my creativity a lot since I don't even know in which way I'd like to express it.

I guess when we talk about creativity everyone think about arts, but I would think you can be creative in a lot of other ways, like the way you choose to live your life, the choices you make, how you cook, how you express yourself, or whatever.

So my question is how do you express your creativity? Do you write novels, poems, songs? Do you draw or paint? Do you do something else?

I've been neglecting that side of me lately and I admit I feel atrophiated. I used to do writing, photography, painting, drawing and sculpting ALL the time, I would even make my own clothes and express whatever I needed to via fashion style as well. Now my place is too small for sculpting and limited for painting, My camera broke, and I can't do anything interesting fashion-wise because of my job. So I try to express myself by playing music, but I suck :) At least I can still try to be original with my life-style

Kiwong

Probably mostly though my writing that is where I have been able to best extract creative thoughts from the white noise chaos in my mind.

Ithior

I think I might start writing short stories or something, based on my dreams. I'd like to complement that with some drawings, but unfortunately I don't have experience nor knowledge on how to draw.

I also thought about learning how to play the piano, but I don't know if you can learn by yourself and starting at the age of 21, since it seems everyone who knows how to play properly learned it when they were children.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I think I might start writing short stories or something, based on my dreams. I'd like to complement that with some drawings, but unfortunately I don't have experience nor knowledge on how to draw.

The idea of writing short stories sounds interesting. Complimenting them with some drawing might also work, in a comic book sort of way. At least, that'd be my approach. But I also suck at drawing, or don't have the confidence in my ability to draw, as I did when I was a child.

I also thought about learning how to play the piano, but I don't know if you can learn by yourself and starting at the age of 21, since it seems everyone who knows how to play properly learned it when they were children.

You're never too old to start learning a musicial instrument. Mind you, it takes a lotta practise. I started playing the guitar when I was 14. Learning an instrument as a child doesn't mean you can't learn to play one later in life. It just means if you stick with it for a certain age - say 8 years old - you'll be able to play more technical and changing pieces of music by the time yer a teenager.

Anyone can learn how to play an instrument - they just have to be passionate and determined about it. And actually wanting to learn how to play said instrument, whatever it may be. And sticking with it.

It'd be probably better getting lessons for the piano - until you've learnt the basics, like I did with the guitar. Doing it by yourself could be a bit tricky to start with. Especially if you've had little experience playing.

I like watercolor painting. Everyone should try it! It was pretty cheap to get started and it looks great. Been doing it for a week now and it makes me a happier person :)

MollyBeGood

I really like to bake sweets, cookies in particular, that is my regular creative outlet. I love to try new recipes and my cookies are always so appreciated I like that feeling.

I am usually not feeling creative at ALL which depresses the hell out of me because I think constantly of ideas for paintings and projects I want to do but I don't do them. I have a ton of issues with motivation.

I have gotten a little better these past months and tried a few new more tactile projects, more on the crafty side and stayed away from 2-D since I was getting stuck and kinda bored with that. I tried needle felting with wool which I loved, and almost finished a very difficult goat, completed a few misc things like a birds nest with eggs and a gnome, a bat for my boy friend and a teddy bear. I also got a bunch of candle making supplies for my birthday and have made about 15 candles. I really liked trying something new like that.

I want to express my creativity a lot more than I do and it saddens me a lot that I have this damn cloud over me sucking the life out of me.

MollyBeGood

I like watercolor painting. Everyone should try it! It was pretty cheap to get started and it looks great. Been doing it for a week now and it makes me a happier person :)

That's awesome! Watercolors are hard to use. My Mom does a bit with them but I have always liked pastels myself.

MollyBeGood

great thread idea

About 2 months ago when I accidentally discovered that I can draw and soon as my exams are over Im going to explore that, see if it carries over into painting or anything else. I started a pencil portrait of my mum how I remember her which has been very healing.

In the past Ive written satirical articles on current events, making fun of serious issues. I always planned to send them into the paper....but I never did....because I wasnt brave.Dont know if thats creative or not though...it was just making fun of current events...not actually creating anything

I saw that pic you did of SJP- Wow keep it up!!!

I saw that pic you did of SJP- Wow keep it up!!!

aw thanks a million molly that made me smile,Ive had such a sh.it day so especially thank you for the encouragement :)

I do cringe so bad when I look at that sjp cos all I can see is that the face is totally off centre...but I know I wouldn't be so critical of someone else so Im trying...and besides I figure the first drawing is a probably a bit like the first pancake ...its not quite right but it starts the ball rolling (yes that is a metaphor within a metaphor :eek:h:)

MollyBeGood

aw thanks a million molly that made me smile,Ive had such a sh.it day so especially thank you for the encouragement :)

I do cringe so bad when I look at that sjp cos all I can see is that the face is totally off centre...but I know I wouldn't be so critical of someone else so Im trying...and besides I figure the first drawing is a probably a bit like the first pancake ...its not quite right but it starts the ball rolling (yes that is a metaphor within a metaphor :eek:h:)

Well, You got the gift-so cool to see someone happen upon such a talent :)
( LoL I am online waay too much today....must get off the computer!!!!....)

I have had some lessons in my life and went to art college for a spell.
Here's a great instruction video series on how to do the planes of the face proportionally correct-once you learn a few tricks of measuring it's really not hard at all. I can whip out a decent portrait in about 10 mins since I have been doing it for yrs myself. I will post one I did last week. My Dad was super talented so that's who I got it from. You must have some artist in your family, too.

How to draw face basic proportions (part 1 of 3) - YouTube

You should try a self portrait in the mirror that is a fun challenge once you feel ready.

I have had some lessons in my life and went to art college for a spell.
Here's a great instruction video series on how to do the planes of the face proportionally correct-once you learn a few tricks of measuring it's really not hard at all. I can whip out a decent portrait in about 10 mins since I have been doing it for yrs myself. I will post one I did last week. My Dad was super talented so that's who I got it from.

Wow I'd love to see some of your stuff. Please do post.

Last edited:

chev

I really like to bake sweets, cookies in particular, that is my regular creative outlet. I love to try new recipes and my cookies are always so appreciated I like that feeling.

I enjoy using baking as a creative outlet as well. It's fun to find recipes and alter them to see what different things can be made.

Even though I can't play any instruments, I also like to write songs/poetry. I kind of imagine what they'd be if I could be a musician.

For the most part, though, I use drawing, painting, and photography to be creative. Sewing is also another favorite of mine.